What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: why not muratic acid?  (Read 6181 times)

rick

why not muratic acid?
« on: February 07, 2005, 05:11:57 pm »
Why is it discouraged to use muratic acid to lower ph in spas?  
I understand this is some strong stuff but if you have a 450 gallon tub and a ph of lets say, 7.8,  I wouldn't think you'd need more than an ounce of the stuff to get your ph to normal.  Anyways, please advise as why not to use it.  
If it is harmful to the spa, ok,  I will go purchase some bisulfate, but if I don't have to, I'd rather just use the muratic acid as I always have a supply of this for my pool.

Hot Tub Forum

why not muratic acid?
« on: February 07, 2005, 05:11:57 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: why not muratic acid?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 05:53:37 pm »
Muriatic acid is designed to knock out very high levels of alkalinity. This should always be adjusted first. This product works well for people with alk readings of 300ppm + and is in no way designed for pH adjustment for spas as it is very difficult to make moderate adjustments with it. Granular acid is very inexpensive so there wouldn't be any cost savings associated with it either.

Steve

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:03 pm »
Rick, Steve is correct. Muriatic Acid will drop the bottom out of your total alkalinity,therfore throwing your Ph for a loop also. Use Sodium BiSulphate to lower Ph. Only use small amounts at a time to lower the Ph,providing the Alkalinity is balanced first. :-/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 08:54:32 pm by hottubber »

rick

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 09:01:08 pm »
thanks for the info guys.  Will do.  
The reason I brought this up is because I had very low alkalinity and used some stuff to bump that up but it also raised my ph.  
Wasn't aware that muratic acid was an alkalinity lowerer vs. a ph lowerer.  

Can somebody talk about alkalinity?  I understand ph but don't know what alkalinity means and the need to keep it balanced also.

hottubber

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 09:09:10 pm »
I'm not a chemist, but I don't think you have to be to understand the simple rule of maintaining pool or spa water. It goes like this,..."Alkalinity First"... That means that the first thing you want to adjust is always the alkalinity. It is a buffer for your Ph, if it is out of line, your Ph will bounce all over the board. Also allowing your sanitizer to not work as effectively.
I think that is pretty close to how it works. I went to a CPO class a long time ago, that's how I remember it.
::) ::) ::)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 09:14:13 pm »
No problem Rick. Alk is a buffer for pH. When alk is between 80-120ppm, your pH will tend to stabilize (7.4 - 7.6). That's the reason why this should always be balanced first. There's no use in adjusting pH if your alk is not in range.

When raising or lower alk, pH can be effected initially. Don't worry about that. Let it be for a couple of days and then retest pH and adjust as needed. Very few aspects to water care is immediate and we need patience. Less is more! ;)

Steve

autoplay

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:03:18 pm »
I'm not a chemist, but I don't think you have to be to understand the simple rule of maintaining pool or spa water. It goes like this,..."Alkalinity First"... That means that the first thing you want to adjust is always the alkalinity. It is a buffer for your Ph, if it is out of line, your Ph will bounce all over the board. Also allowing your sanitizer to not work as effectively.
I think that is pretty close to how it works. I went to a CPO class a long time ago, that's how I remember it.
 ::) ::) ::)

When initially balancing your water for the first time,or after a water change.......Dial in your hardness,then ALK,then PH.  Believe it or not,Calcium Hardness plays a part in the balancing act. This is how I do it anyways,and it works for me.  Cal hardness 210-230 ppm,ALK 90-110 ppm,PH 7.4-7.6  .  In regards to sanitizer....I use probably more than is needed,but feel safe knowing,I won't get cooties.  I add sanitizer AFTER I exit the spa.  I also use a Nature2 cartridge.

Just like riding a bike,start out slow. Add chemicals sparingly,and in moderation.  In due time,you will get a feel for what works,and how much to add etc.

GL!

tansu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 06:54:24 am »
thanks for the info guys.  Will do.  
The reason I brought this up is because I had very low alkalinity and used some stuff to bump that up but it also raised my ph.  
Wasn't aware that muratic acid was an alkalinity lowerer vs. a ph lowerer.  

I use baking soda, then vinegar
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 07:55:19 am by wmccall »

hottubber

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 08:33:46 am »
tansu,

With those ingredients, it sounds like you're baking a cake. What flavor is it? ;D

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 10:52:59 am »

So People aren't just using your tub…they’re actually marinating! ;D

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 10:58:16 am »

I usually add a pinch of Mrs. Dash and of course a sprinkle of two of tobasco!!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tansu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 11:42:53 am »

I usually add a pinch of Mrs. Dash and of course a sprinkle of two of tobasco!!!

Actually, sometimes  I put in a cutting of rosemary when I get in.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 01:12:57 pm »

Actually, sometimes  I put in a cutting of rosemary when I get in.

For those long soaks I really enjoy a Bay leaf or two...
Homeworks Financing Representative

hottubber

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 03:26:07 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Don't tell me that its just you and the bayleaf!

;D ;D ;D

Then what?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 04:51:09 pm »
For those long soaks I really enjoy a Bay leaf or two...

Like I really believe that's bayleaf! At least you didn't use the "oregano" explanation!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 04:51:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42