What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OT - Grilles  (Read 5374 times)

BobRex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
OT - Grilles
« on: February 07, 2005, 11:05:42 am »
Seeing how many spa dealers also sell other patio related items, for those of you that sell gas grilles, what have you been happy with?  I'm thinking of replacing my trusty (rusty) Weber, my dealer sell Napolean grilles - they look pretty good ??  Any other suggetions?

Hot Tub Forum

OT - Grilles
« on: February 07, 2005, 11:05:42 am »

Chris_H

Re: OT - Grilles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:19:50 am »
I know a little about Napoleon grills.  They are really good grills.   I would definitely consider them better than Weber.  If you were to purchase a Napoleon grill, I would make sure you got the stainless steel cooking grate over the powdered coated grate.  I would also recommend the rotisserie with the infrared burner.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 12:23:53 pm »
I use to sell Napoleon and after a year or so, we brought in Vermont Castings. The Vermonts are leaps and bounds above the Napoleon IMO and are priced in the same ball park. I bought one about 2 years ago and love it. As Chris_H mentioned, the rotisserie is a must.

Steve

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 12:42:49 pm »
Near my HOT TUB (on topic) I have a "Vermont Castings" grille like Steve sells and, MAN does it grill a steak! I'd also check "Sams Club" for their "members" brand grille, it's made in China BUT it's a LOT of grille for the money...

Drewski

8)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 12:46:14 pm by Drewski »
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

BobRex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 04:59:32 pm »
Thanks for the input!  The Vermont Castings looks good, but it doesn't appear to have stainless grates.  Since I've burned through 3 sets of porcelin grates I'm thinking stainless is the better way.  Am I right?

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 05:04:36 pm »
Thanks for the input!  The Vermont Castings looks good, but it doesn't appear to have stainless grates.  Since I've burned through 3 sets of porcelin grates I'm thinking stainless is the better way.  Am I right?

You already know what I think.   ;D

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 06:00:09 pm »
I challenge you to go to a Vermont dealer and pick up one those grates. Wear a back brace if you have one... ;) These aren't your Broil King variety. Stainless steel isn't always the answer as this product can oxidize and stain as well. If I get 10 years out of my grates, I'm still further ahead buying a second set than paying for the cost of stainless steel upfront.

You'll also find out that porcelin will retain heat much better and have faster cooking times.

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 07:05:17 pm »
It is also my understanding that with the porcelain there is not the metal transfer...that might change the flavor of food.....This is according to the folks the at the "Big Green Egg"...something we looked into carrying....anyone use one...I tried some food on it and it was very very good....

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 12:14:02 pm »
I have eaten Big Green Egg product. Best charcoal grill around. Not cheap though.

Napoleon makes a great grill too.

I have not experienced the Vermont Castings product.

I would agree with those above, get the rear burner. I have a Ducane with a rear burner, all festive birds and roasts are done there with less cooking time and the added bonus of wood chip "smoke" flavour.

I was going to suggest the the whatsthebestbbq.com, but I see it is gone and abby's guide hasn't set up the new one..yet.

Homeworks Financing Representative

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 03:47:37 pm »
tell me Hottub Man...

The Big Green Egg folks cliam that they are up and ready to cook in about 10 minutes....that because you use natural lump charcol.....they cook much...much...cleaner than anything else and that with the ceramic it is made out of it retains heat with very little loss and locks in the foods natural juices with little shrinkage.....any experience with this....

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 03:55:22 pm »
Well the store I am at used to sell them. The owner had one and I sampled food from it many times. That said I was too busy drinking beer to pay attention to the heat up or cook times.

The owner of the store swears by it and loves it. So to does my uncle.

All I can attest to is the end product, delicious smoked flavour and juices sealed in nicely. It would reach extremely high temperatures, much higher than on a gas grills.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 04:21:38 pm »
This is definately not my forte. I own a Ducane grill that I purchased in 1988. I, to this day use it almost daily. The only thing I've evr replaced on it was the stainless steel cooking rack. That's not too bad for a grill that cost me, I think $550.00 back then, is it?
I've heard of these other grills that you are speaking of, they all sound nice. One of my employees owns a Big Green Egg, he loves it. I was going to buy one just to put it around my pool. It would make a nice decoration.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 04:31:12 pm »
I've got a Ducane myself. I like it, but would not recommend for a couple of reasons.
1. Heat. I like rare steak. The Ducane just isn't hot enough to do it right. The flavour is great due to there cooking system. Great for anything but a rare steak.
2. Warranty. My Ducane came with the best warranty in the game at the time. They went into receivership lkast year and were purchased by Weber. Warranty is not the same as it once was. It could be that their warranrty was a factor in their demise......

Maybe this thread should be in the general BS section.....

Hot tub....ok I'm in the clear.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 04:32:04 pm by HotTubMan »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 04:31:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42