What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping for a tub  (Read 5086 times)

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
Shopping for a tub
« on: February 06, 2005, 02:32:22 pm »
Hi!  I just found this site while doing some internet research on hot tubs.  We are going to enclose our patio and are hoping to purchase a small hot tub to put there.  I was looking through the new Home Depot catalog and came across a little three person Image Trio Spa for $1999.00.  Like the price, but found some not so favorable reviews at epinions.com about the cabinet, etc.  Anyway, I didn't even know you could get hot tubs that small, and it really got me to thinking.  I was going to get  a new bathtub with the whirlpool jets, but I'm the only one here that would use it.  My husband and son would both use the hot tub.  We don't need one any larger than a three person tub.  So, finally, to my question.  I see that Jacuzzi has a nice looking three person model and there is dealer for that one within 2 hrs of us (small rural community).  It's the J-315.  I emailed the dealer for some price info and any information he could send, plus any comparable items he has to offer.  Anyone know what I might expect to pay for a tub like this?  Also, any suggestions on other good ones to consider,  if I can find a dealer close enough?  I did look through the product reviews here, seems the Jacuzzis get pretty good ratings, but it also appears we are very much in the minority for wanting that small of a tub.  Sorry if this is too long, and thanks for any advice and info you might have to share with me.

Randi
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping for a tub
« on: February 06, 2005, 02:32:22 pm »

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
Re: Shopping for a tub
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 03:06:14 pm »
Randi,

There are quite a few good quality small spas available today. I would be very leary buying a spa from any Big Box store. Go to your local spa dealerships, make sure you have the opportunity to wet test the spa that you are thinking about purchasing before you buy. You will find that there really isn't anything available in the $1999.00 range that you will be happy with.
Depending on your space requirements, take a look at some quality spas from Sundance, Hot Springs, Artesian, Marquis, just to name a few. There are more, but deal with a quality spa dealer who is willing to work with you regarding layout, electrical hook up, someone who will be there for you when you may need them.  
Good luck in your search... ;)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 03:07:44 pm »
Check out the the Triad II or Companion:
http://www.d1.com
OR
C351:
http://www.colemanspas.com

Are you sure a three seater is big enough? Dodge says that my Caravan seats 8...........
Homeworks Financing Representative

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 04:13:28 pm »
Welcome Randi,

I would suggest you wet test.  If there is a Jacuzzi Premium dealer, chances are you will have some other brands available (maybe not all, but enough).  Maybe checking out some of the other manufacturers (some mentioned previously) will help you decide.  Most have a dealer locator on their websites!

Take your time.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

luvmytub

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 05:44:45 pm »
I think you are definitely right that we should stay away from the Home Depot, etc. deal.  They were just the ones that got me started on this quest :).  I would much rather work with a dealer.  I think the closest ones are going to be about 2 hrs from us as it is.

I really like the look of those Dimensions.  And the Colemans look nice, too.  The same dealer that has the Jacuzzi's carries the Dimensions and there is also a Coleman dealer in the same city.  We will have to take a little field trip.  

There will be no rushing into it, as I'd rather have most if not all of the $$ saved up at purchase time.  I really don't want to add another monthly payment.  So while I'm saving up for it, I will have plenty of time to research.  

Sure we'd like to have a larger one, but space is limited and I don't want to break the bank on it.  There will probably only be 2 of us in at the same time, anyway, so I'm sure we wouldn't need any larger than a 4 person at the most.  

The Jacuzzi model said something about a "waterfall" feature.  What is that?

Thanks for sharing you knowledge with me ;D.

Randi

BubbleLuvr

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 01:31:18 pm »
Hi,

I just bought my first spa over the weekend.  I can not recommend enough that you check the Better Business Bureau first on all dealers that are in your area that you are considering.  It is much easier to get service from a local dealer than having to deal with a manufacturer or a dealer in another state.  

As a result of the check in my area (check out the BBB in Cleveland Ohio and look under Leisuretime or East Leisuretime or Leisuretime East and you will get an idea of why I will never buy anything from them or buy a Master Spa....they are the only dealer in our area for Master Spa)

Once you have determined the dealers that meet your requirements (BTW - a few complaints at the BBB may not be a problem as long as they were resolved to the customer's satisfaction), you have the basis for what spa lines you want to look at in more depth.

As mentioned in this site numerous times, wet test first when ever possible before buying.

Home & Garden Shows, which are going on right now, are the best time to buy a spa.  You can typically save $500 - $1,500, get extras thrown in for free, and they usually will offer anywhere from 12-18 months same as cash financing.  If you are not in a major metropolitan area, find on the internet the Exposition Center of the closest major city and find out when the Home & Garden Show is coming to town.  

Try to wet test all of the tubs before going to the Show knowing how much it will cost you for everything you want (cover, cover lift etc.) if purchased at the store.  Then go to the show with the intent that you know what you want and are ready to make a purchase.  The trip to the show is to get the best price possible with as many of the ancillary items added in for free.  BTW, when you talk price, always talk out the door, not just tub price, due to the fact that the add-on costs of taxes, delivery, installation etc. may end up changing the whole total cost picture.

I hope this helps.

marquis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 03:01:32 pm »
also look at marquis spas.  the hide away tub is very nice, and it has a good price point, and so is the spirt.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 09:12:30 pm »
marquis,

The Hide- A- Way is a cute little thing. Now available with the Soundsations system and upgraded colors. It looks nice. I think it is a little pricy though for the size and features, don't you think so. ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 09:12:52 pm by hottubber »

luvmytub

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 11:20:50 pm »
Would you mind sharing how pricey?  The one dealer I have emailed did not respond yet.  He sells Jacuzzi and D-1's.  Not sure what else.  I can't find any price info anywhere ???  I just want to get some ballpark idea of what I'm looking at for a good quality, small tub.  Then I will have some idea of just how long I have to wait before I can begin seriously shopping.  I did look up the Marquis tubs, but it looks like the nearest dealer is 4 hours away from me :(.  

I've been reading the pillow discussion on the D-1 vs Marquis post.  I never even thought about pillow rot.  So would it be better to have no pillows?  Or at least, less pillows?  I'm such a newbie to this.  I really know little to nothing.  

Thanks!

luvmytub

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 03:21:31 pm »
Thanks for sharing the Home & Garden Show tip.  I checked and the next one in this area will be on April 9-10th.  Looking forward to attending that.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 03:56:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing the Home & Garden Show tip.  I checked and the next one in this area will be on April 9-10th.  Looking forward to attending that.  

I doubt you'll see a great savings at one of these shows. The best part about them is you may be able to see multiple dealers at one place if they are a fairly large show. They have to pay to attend so their cost of doing business actually may rise. The try to keep the price down by selling volume but in the end the sale price you get/negotiate should be very similar to what you can get in the store by negotiating.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 03:56:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42