What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artesian frame staples  (Read 2722 times)

fatman

Artesian frame staples
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:54:50 pm »
Just got back from the local Artesian dealer here in MI. The quality of the tub looked great in that the motors were mounted on rubber grommets, hose clamps similar to Marquis plumbing, fully adjustable jets, dealer was friendly and no high pressure anything. Then I found the frame staples. Crap. Some of the staples weren't even fully seated. No 2x4's to be seen.  I am not even going to bother with a wet test.  I realize staples are cheaper than bolts and the corporate dollar rules but  I refuse to buy a hot tub with a stapled frame. May Manufacturing could easily do better.

Hot Tub Forum

Artesian frame staples
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:54:50 pm »

wetone

Re: Artesian frame staples
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 04:20:34 pm »
Just got back from the local Artesian dealer here in MI. The quality of the tub looked great in that the motors were mounted on rubber grommets, hose clamps similar to Marquis plumbing, fully adjustable jets, dealer was friendly and no high pressure anything. Then I found the frame staples. Crap. Some of the staples weren't even fully seated. No 2x4's to be seen.  I am not even going to bother with a wet test.  I realize staples are cheaper than bolts and the corporate dollar rules but  I refuse to buy a hot tub with a stapled frame. May Manufacturing could easily do better.

Artesian does staple there frames... how-ever I believe that is the norm in the industry except for a few companies like D1 and (somebody fill in the other brands) that use metal truss gussets.  I have yet to see a manufacture that bolts and/or screws the frames. If there is any that do someone please correct me.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 04:31:21 pm »
If the truth is that many manufacturers use staples on their frames. I wouldn't dismiss the quality of the Artesian because of that. By the way, what makes that process inferior?
If this brand has literally everything that you want in a spa, don't fret on the staples, especially if most spas have them, besides the cabinet is just decorative anyway... :'(
Do the companies that screw their frames together have a better product? I believe it to be one of the better quality spas in the marketplace.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 04:33:18 pm by hottubber »

fatman

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 05:11:37 pm »
The cabinet did have staples but it was the frame I was referring to. While I do not have much experience with hot tubs (Iam just now starting to compare them for future purchase) I feel that staples are a cheap way out and inferior for securing any kind of wood frame whether it be living room furniture or a hot tub.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 10:02:46 pm »
In the manufacture of Campers and mobile homes which are stick built, they are all stapled together.  This method of construction has been used for at least twenty years. Staples are superior to screws in that they do not split the wood.

Over a long period of time I have seen staples rust out it they are not treated.

If you are not comfortable with a wood framed, stapled hot tub, consider Coleman, who use a steel galvinized frame.

Spahappy will be happy to enlighten you further.

Regards, Zz

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 10:43:25 pm »
HotSpring uses a combination of staples, glue and screws.

In any tub - look at the history of the thing. If there is a long string of structural failures due to the choice of fasteners, then I would make a big deal out of it. But to the best of my knowledge, such is not the case.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:13:44 pm »

I have never been a fan of staples in the frame. I see many frames constructed out of pine or ever a non-kiln dried, pressure treated lumber that will have a tendency to twist out of the stapled joints. If you’re going to use staples, use a bracket along with it for support...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 11:14:26 pm by stuart »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:13:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42