What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa "up" is baking soda, right?  (Read 22082 times)

steve771

Spa "up" is baking soda, right?
« on: January 31, 2005, 08:50:12 pm »
I've had previous problems with too high of a pH, but now I'm hovering around 7.4.  Never had to adjust up, but I think my dealer said spa up is just baking soda.  Is that correct?  Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Spa "up" is baking soda, right?
« on: January 31, 2005, 08:50:12 pm »

Neptuner

• My only tub foam
Re: Spa "up" is baking soda, right?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 09:27:21 pm »
Look for the name on the container. Sodium Bicarbonate is baking soda which will raise the PH and the TA (total alkalinity).  Sodium Carbonate is soda ash and will raise only the PH.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 11:15:22 pm »
Oops - I think you wnat to go the OTHER DIRECTION, right? Use white vinegar to reduce it.  Using Baking soda would increase it further. All kinds of house-hold tricks to this. However, you may want to just go buy your local Home Depot and buy the reall stuff as it's only like $5 for a bottle of each.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:16:53 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

poolboy34

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 12:10:51 am »
wow!!!!!  It's that much at home depot these days???

Anyways.here's a tip, the alkalinity increaser your dealer sells..............you ain't gonna be baking cookies with it.  Baking soda and TA increaser are the same in chemical name only, the actual percentage of the stuff is a much higher concentration in the pool and spa chems.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:05:21 am »
I've had previous problems with too high of a pH, but now I'm hovering around 7.4.  Never had to adjust up, but I think my dealer said spa up is just baking soda.  Is that correct?  Thanks in advance!

Your going to adjust up?  You know that the acceptable PH is a range right?  Depending on your alkalinity, I wouldn't adjust that up any.  My water is normally 7.0, so I'm happy when it gets to 7.4.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lingo999

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:39:53 am »
CAn always use Boraxo to raise the ph, and it won't touch the TA. Just make sure its plain Boraxo and dosnt have detergent in it. Oodles of bubbles if you do.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 01:59:41 pm »
Isn't it funny that we can spend thousands of dollars on the right spa, but when it comes to maintaining it, we choose to put in sub-standard products.
How about this... use the dealer recommended products if you want warrantee service to be covered under warrantee... ;)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 02:16:28 pm »
Isn't it funny that we can spend thousands of dollars on the right spa, but when it comes to maintaining it, we choose to put in sub-standard products.
How about this... use the dealer recommended products if you want warrantee service to be covered under warrantee... ;)

Please explain how sodium bicarbonate marketed as baking soda is sub-standard compared to sodium bicarbonate marketed by spa retailers.  How about this...unless spelled out in the warranty specifications, using a chemically equivalent product will no more void a warranty than would using Pennzoil, Castrol or Quaker State in your new car.  For a minute there, your comments almost had a tone of Haven about them.  ;)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 02:31:30 pm »
My quote was not in regard to the right or wrong products being used, but toward the overwhelming concern about a couple of dollars being spent to take care of your spa. Why quibble???
All I was stating was that it is not worth the confusion for a couple of bucks...
Maybe it's a retail thing ;)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 03:47:28 pm »
wow!!!!!  It's that much at home depot these days???

Anyways.here's a tip, the alkalinity increaser your dealer sells..............you ain't gonna be baking cookies with it.  Baking soda and TA increaser are the same in chemical name only, the actual percentage of the stuff is a much higher concentration in the pool and spa chems.

I do not know that this is 100% correct but in trusting that Pool Boy is right.. than why the debate.....I think most retailers sell PH-Up for under 5 bucks and as little as you use it will probably last a year so...why sweat the small stuff.....

steve771

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 07:45:03 pm »

How about this... re-read my original post, and you will see that my dealer DID recommend baking soda as a pH up.  No need to get snobbish, I was just asking a question, and have no problem buying product.  I was just wondering what the informed people on the board thought.  How about that? :P

Bill... no I wasn't going to adjust just yet, but it has dropped and I was just trying to be informed before I did anything.  Thanks to everyone helpful on these boards.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 09:38:39 pm »
Spa up and spa down are two of the least expensive chemicals you can buy. I don't think that your dealer should recommend baking soda for the simple reason that it can lead people to believe Clorox must also be OK because it contains chlorine.

I look at it like oil for my car....I use a name brand not generic as I'm sure most people do. I'm sure that Generic would do the same thing but I would doubt the quality of it. Same goes for gasoline... the only problems I've had was when I went to the generic stations an got gas with water in it....

In over 20 years of spa use I have never used baking soda! I just like to stick with a product made by the people that have something to prove with their chemical brand….

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 08:29:38 am »
My TA and PH tend to drop over the course of a week.  Therefore, when I shock I add a tbs of baking soda to the water.  It does the job beautifully...and cheaply.  Right on the money every time.

Elle

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 10:17:36 am »
My TA and PH tend to drop over the course of a week.  Therefore, when I shock I add a tbs of baking soda to the water.  It does the job beautifully...and cheaply.  Right on the money every time.

Elle

Same for me.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 12:04:10 pm »
I don't use baking soda OR spa up.....I use sodium bicarbonate.....<wink><wink><nudge><nudge> ;D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 12:04:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42