What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for dealers....?  (Read 4515 times)

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Question for dealers....?
« on: January 27, 2005, 12:40:41 pm »
Hi all....as I have discovered here many of you work in the Spa industry and I have a couple of questions if you dont mind....

1.  Do Dealers/salespeople work off of a commission?

2.  What is the biggest question a buyer asks that makes you upset when dealing with them?

3.  How do you know if a buyer is serious about purchasing a spa?

4.  Is it "politically incorrect" to call a spa a hot tub ....what is the difference?

My rationale for these questions is based in part, on information I have read here....It seems as though you all are very knowledgeable and customer oriented in your posts and I GENUINELY appreciate that.

What I dont want to have happen is when we enter a place of business to tick off the sales people by asking inappropriate questions....I know that sounds strange...but in all my business dealings I like to establish a rapport with the person I am working with.  If there are certain "taboo" subjects or questions I would like to know what they are before ventureing forth and asking them......

Anyhow just thought I'd ask!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!  I am beginning to think this search for the perfect spa will take a few months...and you know what Im fine with that because  this is a major investment in our new home and I want it to be right for us!

Regards! :)

Hot Tub Forum

Question for dealers....?
« on: January 27, 2005, 12:40:41 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Question for dealers....?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 12:57:26 pm »
Guttboy....

I have to say if there we more customers that thought like you wow.....but in reality...You are the customer and whatever questions you have they should be answered with honesty and professionalism always treating you with respect....many people compare this to  buying a car but say it is tougher...Well thats because it is...Most of us have ridden in cars all of our life's we are comfortable in them and even the most mechanically challenged knows more about the basic function's of a car than a spa.....You are more familiar with the different brands of cars and have a good understanding of how most makers are seen or how what models really compare.....it is funny but spas can be like cars in this way, where if you have someone looking at a KIA and knew nothing about cars than looked at a Mercedes.....they would wonder why the price difference they both have 4 wheels.... a stereo....air conditioning....The kia is less...I am going with Kia....anyway.....simply ask anything you genuinely want to know and if it reasonable you should except an honest answer...

Guttboy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:16:24 pm »
Mendocino.....

I think that there are alot of consumers out there like us!  Ill give you a case in point....

I was shopping for funiture for a new home in Destin Florida....I entered a "place of business" that was pretty high end....I usually dress pretty casually as  in jeans/tshirt or shorts/tshirt.....not ugly but very casual....

I was very interested in some of the sets there....hmmm....not one...I repeat ONE...of the salespeople spoke with me or my girlfriend.....(there were 4 there all chatting amongst themselves....and it was obvious that they saw us)......

After 5 min in the place we finally asked them if they could help us...you know the response...."Oh...we didnt realize you were shopping?"....WHAT?????

I eventually found the same pieces at another store 20 miles away....you know what.....I brought the sales reciept to them and showed the "ladies" there the purchase.....boy did they look shocked!

Where am I going with this?  I am a pretty staunch loyalist when it comes to CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

I dont mind paying a little bit extra for that!  That is why I am asking the questions.....

Anyhow mendo.....thats my 2 cents........

So....as I enter into this realm of purchasing a Spa/hot tub......are there answers to the above questions to the first post......?

This is by no means adversarial and if the tone is like that please understand....I am in a quest for knowledge on this endeavor.........I truly would like to establish a rapport with my dealer...just as I have done with my realtors in the past....remember word of mouth is the BEST advertisement!!!!

Take care and thanks for the quick response~!

Regards,

:)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 01:52:52 pm »
Just don't generically call them "Jacuzzis" and you'll be fine. ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Guttboy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 02:50:50 pm »
heheheh ill be sure not to!

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 03:25:07 pm »
Ask any question you feel is necessary .  The more the better.  And honestly as someone in the pool & spa biz, I have to say that ANYONE that walks into one of our two stores and is looking at spas........is a potential buyer.  People just don't "happen to wander into" a pool and spa store.  I wish there were more customers out there like yourself.   And like spa tech tuo said: don't generalize all spas/hot tubs as "jacuzzis" and you'll be fine.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 04:19:35 pm »
Hi all....as I have discovered here many of you work in the Spa industry and I have a couple of questions if you dont mind....

1.  Do Dealers/salespeople work off of a commission?

I would say that generally, yes.

2.  What is the biggest question a buyer asks that makes you upset when dealing with them?

Before being able to determine value, they ask, "how much is that spa...how much is that spa..." Costs vary and without knowing anthing about a particular spa, it's impossible to determine whether or not it's good value. The other phrase that makes the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand up is, "just browsing". >:( That one drives me NUTS!!

By the questions asked. Spa stores are generally "destination stores" and very rarely do people just pop in.

4.  Is it "politically incorrect" to call a spa a hot tub ....what is the difference?

Heck I don't know! ;D They mean the same thing though I believe the word "spa" is more directed at a place that offers facials, etc...

My rationale for these questions is based in part, on information I have read here....It seems as though you all are very knowledgeable and customer oriented in your posts and I GENUINELY appreciate that.

We strive to be the best here! My closing % sucks on this forum though... :-/

What I dont want to have happen is when we enter a place of business to tick off the sales people by asking inappropriate questions....I know that sounds strange...but in all my business dealings I like to establish a rapport with the person I am working with.  If there are certain "taboo" subjects or questions I would like to know what they are before ventureing forth and asking them......

Ask anything you feel is important. You control the situation.

Anyhow just thought I'd ask!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!  I am beginning to think this search for the perfect spa will take a few months...and you know what Im fine with that because  this is a major investment in our new home and I want it to be right for us!

You'll be fine and certainly we look forward to being able offer any help and advice as you go along.

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 05:51:32 pm »
Guttboy...

Let me say I was actually complimenting you about how courteous you wanted to be.....If you took it differently I do apologize......

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 07:30:32 pm »

I was shopping for funiture for a new home in Destin Florida....I entered a "place of business" that was pretty high end....I usually dress pretty casually as  in jeans/tshirt or shorts/tshirt.....not ugly but very casual....

I was very interested in some of the sets there....hmmm....not one...I repeat ONE...of the salespeople spoke with me

I had the SAME thing happen when I bought my first new car (S10 Blazer)..... Bought the thing from the "other dealer" down the street. I was sure to ALWAYS take it back to the first dealer for service.... I loved rubbing the sale in the jerks face.

spoon?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Guttboy

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 03:32:40 am »

Mendocino.....

My bad...I did not take it as an offensive post whatsoever...sometimes I dont come across as well in the written word as I do in person.....

Your post was very informative and I did not take it in any bad light so you have no reason to apologize! :)

Thanks for all the information...everyone!  Now getting excited to actually purchase one!

Regards,

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 08:00:33 am »

By the questions asked. Spa stores are generally "destination stores" and very rarely do people just pop in.

I was particularly interested in question3, and I'll expound on Steve's thoughts.  "destination stores" makes sense. The opposite of that is the various home shows.  From the first day we looked at a hot tub in a store and when we finally purchased was 7 years.  The home shows kind of turned me off a bit because I never purchase anything on an offer that is only good today. On the day we bought we weren't absolutely positive we were going to buy until finally a dealer came down from the "sticker price" and made a real offer.  Perhaps that is when you can tell the dealer knows your buying for real.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 08:10:40 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 08:08:32 am »
Mendocino.....

I think that there are alot of consumers out there like us!  Ill give you a case in point....

I had a similar experience when I bought carpet years ago, I was working the only job I ever had that required me to wear a tie. Once out of work,  a million dollar bribe couldn't get me to put one on.  My wife and I went in (20 something at the time) and told the only salesman in the store what we wanted.  I had  the cash and was ready to spend.  He took us to the cheapest crap they had back in the corner of the store amongst great looking carpet. Soon a couple pulled up in a new Mercedes, she was wearing a fur, and he wore more diamonds than a Swiss Banker.  He dropped us so fast to get to them, we left immediatly.  That couple left right after us.

By the time we bought out tub though we probably did look more like the stereotypical hot tub buyers,  Mini-van driving(RIP wingmobile :'() mid 40s, overstressed and overfed suburbanites.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 09:28:43 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 03:17:55 pm »
Guttboy,
I feel that if a prospect walks into your store, he or she is a potential client. NEVER under-estimate their value by the way they dress or what they are driving.
We, as spa (Jacuzzi) dealers need to earn the repect of everyone of our prospects. By earning their trust, we gain their confidence, once we gain that, they are ours.
It has been a long time since I had to work at my sales presentation, but I will tell you this much, earn their respect and you will earn the sale.
Too many times in this industry, we rely on un-qualified professionals to do our sales.
Lets keep it real. Do what is the best for the customer  ;)

Guttboy

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 10:27:12 pm »
Agreed Hottuber! :)

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 11:05:50 pm »
I went to most of the local dealers last summer and on into the fall. The were some interesting dealers and salesmen and one saleslady. The lady ran the Jacuzzi shop and I talker to her at a home show. She had no room for any other product and drilled away when I was just looking to see what they thought a sale price was. I had been to her store before and the two guys there let me try several tubs and answered questions, gave me prices and I was satisfied. So, I felt like I had to assume a quick defensive posture just to get away from her at the home show.

The ones that stuck in my mind were the ones who ignore you. I went in with my towel and bathing suit in a plastic bag and told the junior looking dudes that I wanted to try out some hot tubs and have someone show me the features and explain why I should buy their brand. I told them I had done enough reading to get confused.

Was I ever lucky when the Rec Whse lady said I could not just try out any tub with water. I had to have narrowed the choices down to three and they had email from corporate saying that two people had to assist me into and out of the tub. I almost laughed out loud. Keeping a straight face and knowing before I went that this was a slippery bunch I made a point to look at their "patented" insulation. Since it was only about 1/8 inch thick and no air curtain, I asked in my best stupid hick drawl, "where is the insulation?" Needless to say I felt like I had the upper hand on this visit. I would agree that people should not waste their time there but they need to know why.

Usually the junior dude would point to the senior man and tell me to talk to that guy. OK, but when that guy is really into his best blow hard, wind 'em up and let it go delivery and can't take time to acknowledge there is a serious shopper waiting I figure he thinks the hook is set and he cannot relax with the big one this close to boat.

I wait 15.....20......35........45 minutes and the guy is still honking hard on this by now cold fish. So, I leave and go where things are not so intense.

I talk to some dealers ahead of time to see who make price decisions, some at home shows, let some call me or send me notices of sales. Send and receive emails. Everything, even got an email and some customer follow ups from James and happy xaven owners. They were rather sincere in their satisfaction by the way.

You know there is something going on when new forums folks have to ask how to approach you. get some information when they inquire about the wrong brands or ask the wrong questions.

My favorite "lets kick this new inquirer" is "the best price is what you get locally". Well if you have to buy locally and that is the only dealer, maybe so. Probably not.

Folks may be happy with a smaller brand name at a better price point. What is wrong with that?  You have lots of opinions on name brands and local dealers but no facts on my local choices. I have no Marquis dealer. I don't have a lot of choices on what is available to others. If I don't like the Hot Springs dealer I don't have another choice except a different brand. Nearest town with choices of dealers is 1 1/2 hours Norht or East.  Not sure I would want to pay for service calls from this distance and am not sure local folks would take care of me to spite me for not going for their bad deal.

Two different brand salesman had almost the same stories. They had worked for all the local brands, seen all the problems, dealt with all of the problems of mfgs, store owers, customer etc.  In other words I have seen it all and done it all and know it all. It is difficult dealing with this type. If you have seen it all and know it all why don't you tell me all so I can buy or avoid buying. I think they are going to be at the next store before I get there! Maybe they were trying to assure me that they really knew a lot more than I ever would and they would take of poor me.

Got a card and call back from Hot Springs having a parking lot sale with factory rep to make special deals. Well I was extremely interested in a particular model and their best deal was more than a $1000 higher than other areas... more like $1800 higher. They did not seem to understand that when the customer knows a deal is not good that they need to be able to do business or say they cannot do it. I called them back the next day thinking the rep being around may have been influencing their strategy and told them what I could buy the tub for elsewhere and was willing to buy it right then and there over the phone. No deal. The price I had was good but not there.

I called 5 stores on Saturday morning at 10:30 AM. Only one answered the phone. I was looking for dichlor kit. This store was a bromine store only. Hmmm, left a few messages and got a call back 3 days later from one of the messages asking was I looking for bromine?

Is this a slow time of the year or what? Why are all the stores here selling bromine only? Another dealer told me today they only recommended bromine. What? Must be a local thing? I tell them I may try it later but want to start on dichlor.

Do any of you see yourselves or your employees in some of these stories?

Isn't it silly people have to ask you how to approach you? Why do they feel this way? I can imagine it must be really boring dealing with the general public?

Inform us, give us prices that will make us want to buy from you instead of drive us away. We will come.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 11:05:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42