What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is HotSprings truly the "BEST HOT TUB"?  (Read 6986 times)

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Is HotSprings truly the "BEST HOT TUB"?
« on: January 29, 2005, 08:04:02 pm »
Hi everyone!

This is by no means a "troll" or an attempt to get into a war with everyone here but my buddy owns a HotSprings Sovereign......He states "UNEQUIVOCALLY" that HS is the best Hot Tub manufacturer BAR NONE!

I guess I am not sure what to believe because everyone totes theirs as "best"...He states that the HS is truly the best because of 2 pumps, constant recirculation, one piece tub...etc....

I am considering D1, Marquis, HotSprings, Caldera, and Sundance......is it all marketing or are all of these brands similar in quality and craftsmanship?

I would like to get a spa for around 7-8K but could go as high as 9k if it was a TO DIE FOR one that we really loved.

My buddy also stated that he had heard bad things about sundance...Is this true?

I then asked him if he liked his Jeep...he stated very much....I then asked him if he had heard bad things about it...He had not....well our Jeep (same year/model) just lost all the electronics when you turn the lights on...BUMMER.

I explained that even though they are both nice vehicles...if your dealership wont stand behind it...that would be a bad thing...whereas if they fix it properly..no harm no foul things happen at times.

Anyhow this is a serious question and to me it seems like a TON of marketing that I get pretty confused on between brands...and yes WET TEST, WET TEST, WET TEST!!!!

We are on our way over to my buddy's house to Wet Test his after dinner...!!!!!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Best wishes,

:)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 08:05:04 pm by Guttboy »

Hot Tub Forum

« on: January 29, 2005, 08:04:02 pm »

BIG_PAPA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Is HotSprings truly the "BEST HOT TUB"?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 08:22:15 pm »
I think all the manufactures you mentioned are great spa manufactures.I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.I would wet test as recomended by the profesionals on this site.I have learned that JIM from HAVEN SPAS thinks hot springs is absolutly the best.completly just kidding, that guy is a nut!!

mhraracing

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 08:29:52 pm »
I agree - any of the manufacturers mentioned should serve you well.  Any of them could be considered - "best"  :-X
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 10:01:53 pm »
I would also agree that the spas you are looking at are very nice and among the best...to say one is the absolute best would be tough...some of the things your buddy mentioned as to what makes them such some would suggest there might be a better way to do the same thing...but again all  certainly are always mentioned to be among the best.....

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 10:15:13 pm »
no

is it all marketing

pretty much... but you are on the right track to consider quality brands and to wet test.
e

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 10:16:37 pm »
I started selling HotSpring in around 1985, and opened our first store with them in 1986/87.

I know the management team well, and I respect them as consumate professionals.  I like the way they engineer the tubs, the way they back the dealer, and the way they will put not-subtle pressure on the dealer to back the customer.

Most HotSpring dealers would say that they offer the best product available on the planet.  I love 'em.

Most of the dealers are professionals. There are the odd ones here and there, but on balance I have never met a better group of people: I have been on vacation with bunches and bunches of them to places all over the globe, and it's a hoot!

And the features on the tubs generally translate into benefits which make for a great spa experience. Sight, sound, motion and drama, they have it all.

They build tubs that are easy to own for the rest of your life. Go for it - you won't be sorry you did.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 12:08:55 am »
Well, I personally know of no one who has bought a hot spring and regretted it and you will find *many* happy HS owners on this board.  I believe hot springs sells more spas than anyone else and has a *very* good history for taking care of their customers, above and beyond the warranty.  I believe they do a very good job of maintaining their spas, and I believe they are seen by many as the "king of the hill" to beat, so they take alot of flack.

Many other manuacturers also make a good tub.  Some have never had a chance to prove how much they back their product either because they have not had the same sub-contractor woes, or they just have not been in the business long enough.

I own a hot springs and love it.  I believe my grandee to be well plumbed, adequately powered, extremely comfortable, energy efficient, and low maintenance. It's the best tub FOR ME because it met all of my requirements, was comfortable, and I had a VERY good feeling about my dealer and about Watkins (who makes Hot Springs products).

But no one can say they are the best because there is no single criteria.  Some people hate hot springs because they like to hate hot springs.

Make a list of what is important to you at a comfort level.  If you wet test a HS and it is comfy and affordable, buy it and be happy. The engineering will be very good and the energy efficiency and maintenance will be top notch.

The biggest complaints I hear about HS are:

1) They cost too much
2) Some of their tubs are under-powered

Based on my price for a grandee compared to what others pay for tubs I did not like, I think #1 depends on your dealer and your area.  #2 you can't get from an internet forum, you can only get it from a wet test.

-Ed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:19:02 am by ebirrane »

empolgation

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 12:15:37 am »
I believe hot springs sell smore spas

mmmm snores...
good answer to the marketing ?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:16:46 am by empolgation »
e

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 12:23:14 am »
empo,

Make it a flame war if you wish. HS sells more than others, it isn't a troll.  Blame it on marketing and the brainwashing of the ignorant masses.  ::)

What is more interesting is trying to understand: from whence did you get the bug up your butt about hot springs?

Did you used to be a dealer against hot springs?  Do you currently sell a competing product?  Did you have bad experiences in the past?  Or do you just, generally, not like companies that market products?

I doubt, but certainly cannot disprove, that you have hated them from birth.  What chain of events led you to your opinion?  I'd like to know for entertainment, but Guttboy way like to know because it could affect his purchasing decision.  Please, put some reason to your opinion.

-Ed  

empolgation

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 01:24:13 am »
empo,

Make it a flame war if you wish. HS sells more than others, it isn't a troll.  Blame it on marketing and the brainwashing of the ignorant masses.  ::)

What is more interesting is trying to understand: from whence did you get the bug up your butt about hot springs?

Did you used to be a dealer against hot springs?  Do you currently sell a competing product?  Did you have bad experiences in the past?  Or do you just, generally, not like companies that market products?

I doubt, but certainly cannot disprove, that you have hated them from birth.  What chain of events led you to your opinion?  I'd like to know for entertainment, but Guttboy way like to know because it could affect his purchasing decision.  Please, put some reason to your opinion.

-Ed  

LOL...... flame war there is not.

Ed you ____  Haaaaa Haaaaaa.... you make me laugh

I actually like HotSprings and have owned one happily. Presently I think they build a quality tub with great suppport and they attempt to justify their price because of it... I also believe that their pricing is built greatly upon their marketing. They offer nothing better than the worthy competition, and they may sell more strictly because of their marketing.

I have yet to be a dealer,  though Hotsprings would be one I would consider... maybe you should pick the bug and your mind out of your butt and consider what other brands have to offer... aren't you enjoying the view from the top of the mountain?

The tub you purchased may be "the best" for you but that doesn't make HotSprings "truly the 'BEST HOT TUB'".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 05:06:37 pm by empolgation »
e

Guttboy

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 02:02:31 am »
OK OK OK!!!!!!!!

Observations from my wet test of the Sovereign......

1)  Was 103 degrees...outside temp was 30 with light snow and a tiny bit of rain...then cleared out and was clear as a million.....both of us found the tub to be a bit tooooooo hot for our tastes.  Of the 45 min spent in it about 20 was sitting up on the cool down bench!

[Its all personal preference but we would probably run the spa cooler for OUR tastes]

2)  The finish on the tub itself was what Eric called Endurol...it was a bit grainy which I didnt mind at all kinda gave you some grip.

3)  One seat was pretty cool it is the one opposite on a 45 degree angle from the head of the lounge.  We both liked this but with the jets on high we both "floated" a bit.

4)  Lounge was nice but was not totally blown away...the motomassage was hard to tell if it was moving up and down as I think it should....but was enjoyable...the best feature was the personal foot jet at the base of the lounge!

5)  The Seven Jets were ok but nothing we would write home about.

6)  4 average sized adults (me at 5'10" and the others shorter down to 5'3" all fit nicely although there was a bit of footsie fighting for the foot jet at the base of the spa (not the one in the lounge because if you are in the lounge you get that one all to yourself!).

7)  Lighting was nice touch....I liked the alternating lights and the fact you could stop on one of them...for us lighting will be a MUST HAVE...kinda makes it nice to have the lights.

8 )  Has a drain/recirculating vent(?) at the bottom so you can drain this without having to siphon my buddy told me....not sure if all come with this but in my mind this would be a must for the water changes.

9)  Glad it has adjustable power on the vents....they were great and powerful at first when we got in but they tended to "blow my skin off" to quote another in the tub...and I myself turned down the jets to get a more relaxing feel.  This would have to be a MUST in any spa/hot tub....power is great but needs to be tailored to the individual.

All in all a very enjoyable evening in the tub!  

What would I like to see perhaps....hmmm.....

a.  If we were to get a "lounge" perhaps some jets under the legs (hamstrings/calves) and under the wrists or hands.

b.  More foot jets for others so you all wouldnt have to fight over the one in the Sovereign.

c.  We both tended to float a bit in the spa....not sure if its because of the angle of seating or the speed of the jets.

As with any spa, this is a newbie speaking here,  there will probably be "favorite" seats and some that are seldom used.  I would tend to think that if you really like a certain feature be sure that you can live with the others.  Sooooo I would want a spa that has the features we want but we realize that some (seats) wont be used as much as others.

Another note....could be the chemicals or water or heat...etc...however I found my hands to be very dry as well as my skin after the soak in the tub.....this one was running ozone not sure of the other chemicals in the regime.

Anyhow thats how the wet test/fun evening went!  All in all a great time....relaxing....did not sway me that HS was 100% the way to go but we will be wet testing many more in the future.

If anyone has certain tubs that may fit our needs based on what we mentioned above please post the models/brands so we can take a look at those features we may like.

I am sure, please correct me if I'm wrong or off base, that the angle of the seating has alot to do with you floating/not floating in the tub.

Take care and have a great weekend!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 02:04:22 am by Guttboy »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 07:47:20 am »
8 )  Has a drain/recirculating vent(?) at the bottom so you can drain this without having to siphon my buddy told me....not sure if all come with this but in my mind this would be a must for the water changes.
As with any spa, this is a newbie speaking here,  there will probably be "favorite" seats and some that are seldom used.  I would tend to think that if you really like a certain feature be sure that you can live with the others.  Sooooo I would want a spa that has the features we want but we realize that some (seats) wont be used as much as others.
I am sure, please correct me if I'm wrong or off base, that the angle of the seating has alot to do with you floating/not floating in the tub.

GB,
Just a couple of comments on selected statements.

The bottom drain should be at the very last of your tub selection criteria.  Most tubs have drains but not bottom drains.  A shop vac takes care of what little residual water is left after the drain with no sweat.  If the bottom drain is a must have, you will certainly limit your selection too severely.

Look for a spa in which you enjoy all the seats.  I have a MasterSpa LSX and I rotate through each therapy seat each session because each seat gives great yet completely different therapy.  The cooldown seat is the only one I may not rotate through only because I keep the temp just right for the others.

I would think seat angle is a part of the float/no float equation though wearing a suit or not may contribute more to that as well as jet strength.  Having adjustability over each jet goes a long way in the lounge.

Good luck and enjoy your search....... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Guttboy

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 10:37:30 am »
Wind,

On number 8 ).....I havent really looked at tons of spa's just the HS one....with that being said I have no idea which ones have drains or not.  If they all have some sort of draining system then that is fine by me....but as I stated siphoning would be a royal pain in the arse.

I keep marine reef and freshwater planted tanks and let me tell you siphoning is a pain in the arse so any drainage system would help.

Thanks for the info!

Regards

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 11:15:26 am »
Guttboy,

Take a look at other manufacturers if you can. I looked at a dozen or so different tubs and each one had different features. Each tub had some nice features and not so nice features IMO.

Some loungers are more contoured than others, some have "indents" for your legs and some have jets placed into the leg areas and foot area for message.

Find out what's around you and then look on-line first - you can "visit" a lot of stores on-line! I know it's not the same but it'll give you an idea of what's available.

My opinion is there isn't truly any "The Best". But there are "the Worst" and if you leave them off your list you'll be fine. "The Best" for you is what you picked - people have given you lists - look at them.  Also look at Master, Coleman, Artesian and Beachcomber - they are good tubs as well by what I've read and saw.

Besides the tub, make sure the dealer is someone you want to deal with. I had a bad experience at one dealer and  a great experience at a few.  I always equate dealerships on if they treat me this way now what's going to happen IF I have a problem.

Good Luck in your hunt!

Vinny

Guttboy

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 01:49:38 pm »
Vinny,

Agreed....100% we are going to look at other tubs! AND wet test as many as we can....I will not get a tub that is not wet tested because after reading some stories here....you NEED to do that.

What I do find frustrating is that I have registered with several hot tub manufacturers and requested literature on their spas.

Unfortunately all I am getting is the local dealer sending me a little invite card to come look at their tubs.

For us this probably wont work at all because we are moving from this area to San Antonio in 6 weeks.

I wont wet test any tubs here because that will not be fair to the guys I am testing with.  The would better serve their time with customers from THIS area.

If any of you dealers would like to send some literature or can figure out how I can get some to my house that would be great.

I guess I could call or email the local dealers in San Antonio and they could probably hook us up but I dont want to appear to pushy with them requesting literature when we are actually not in their area yet.

Regards,

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 01:49:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42