What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman vs HotSpring  (Read 8111 times)

ProfMark

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Coleman vs HotSpring
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:19:45 pm »
I am new to purchasing a hot tub and I am down to two units - a Hot Spring Vanguard or a Coleman 705.

The tough issue I am trying to figure out is the contradictions I hear from both sides:

1.  Full foam is better (HS)  because it is better insulating.
2.  Open (ie, not full foam) is better because there is easier access if there is a repair or leak down the road (coleman)
3.  A pump must be ventilated to keep it operating cooler and lasting longer (HS)
4.  A pump should not be ventilated since the extra heat stays in the unit and helps to heat the tub. (coleman)
6.  Hot Springs continously circulates the water with a seperate pump.
7.  Coleman states the small pump doesn't do as good a job filtering as a 'part time' pump that is pumping bigger volumes
8.  Coleman is made with a metal frame vs a wood frame for Hot Springs.  (does this matter?)

They both have the same warranties.  I've also seen as much plus or minus as far as reliability and overall quality
for each unit.

Does anyone have any final opinions on a Coleman vs a Hot Springs?  (This is worse than buying a car!!)

Am I missing any other brands in this same category?

Hot Tub Forum

Coleman vs HotSpring
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:19:45 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Coleman vs HotSpring
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:32:04 pm »
Let me start by saying both are good spas. If one way didn't work, one of those units would be out of business I'm guessing.

Have you wet tested either? You bet this worse than buying a car becasue that we know about and have owned one before. Once you purchase your second spa, you'll feel better on what is really important besides some of the sales pitches you mentioned above.

Personally, I feel there's about 10 other brands in the same catagorie as the ones you have mentioned. There's no "best" spa but instead the spa that's "best" for you! Both are pricey spas so virtually any spa is a possibility for you. Hows that for helpful? ??? ;D

Check out Marquis, D1, Sundance, Hydropool, Beachcomber, Jacuzzi, Arctic and so on.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Steve

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 12:45:44 am »
Yep, worse than a car but let me help... All these individual questions of "is this better than that" are simple marketing constructs to lead you towards a speciific products (theirs).  For those of us who understand this business there are a few good guidelines: 1. Pick a major brand (you've got two good ones already but look at the others Steve mentioned as well)  2. Use your common sense and don't let anyone "talk you into anything"  3. Ignore 100% the "foam filled vs. Thermal Pane" debate (or do a search and learn that they are about equivilant 0 eliminates most of your concerns in your first post).  4. Do NOT buy a tub without sitting in it first (even if it's only a dry test) as many tubs "look" great but you only find out after you own it that you can't sit comfortably in some seats (an issue I had with a 706 I was considering when I bought my Jacuzzi).  5. Keepo asking questions of this forums members. 99% are all great guys and will do what we can to help you out.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:50:02 am »
1.  Full foam is better (HS)  because it is better insulating.
2.  Open (ie, not full foam) is better because there is easier access if there is a repair or leak down the road (coleman)
3.  A pump must be ventilated to keep it operating cooler and lasting longer (HS)
4.  A pump should not be ventilated since the extra heat stays in the unit and helps to heat the tub. (coleman)
6.  Hot Springs continously circulates the water with a seperate pump.
7.  Coleman states the small pump doesn't do as good a job filtering as a 'part time' pump that is pumping bigger volumes
8.  Coleman is made with a metal frame vs a wood frame for Hot Springs.  (does this matter?)

Does anyone have any final opinions on a Coleman vs a Hot Springs?  (This is worse than buying a car!!)

You want opinions and I'm opinionated so here goes:

1) & 2) They each have their own fans. While I prefer the full foam I would say don't treat this as the be all and end all factor as both can work well and these are both good brands.

3) & 4) I do believe you want to keep the pump cool. I also agree that you don't want to waste the heat. The Hot Springs does win here for me as they recycle the heat directly into the water (see many posts by Chas on this). I wouldn't let this alone be a huge issue either.

5) You skipped that one so I will as well.

6) & 7) One filters less but filters all day. One filters more but filters 4-6 hours typically. In the end they both filter well so don't let this be a big deal as they'll both do the job here.

8) Here's another where I must admit to being more of a fan of one method (wood) but certainly not against the other and think this shouldn't be a major factor.

No one can really say which spa is flat out better as they both are good brands and there is more than one way to build a spa.

Have you wet tested? Are you comfortable with both dealers ability and willingness to service your needs after the sale?

Am I missing any other brands in this same category?  

The 2 brands you're looking at are certainly fine spa makers. If your search needs others to look, my personal favorites would be (in no particular order) Caldrea, D1, Marquis and Sundance. Others here are fans of Master, Dynasty, Hydropool, Beachcomber, Jacuzzi, etc. so you can look a long time if you really want to.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rick

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 11:15:28 am »
My goodness.  What is this forum coming to?  
A Coleman being compared to the granddaddy of them all!    

We're not worthy!

We're not worthy!

ProfMark,  I'm a Coleman owner.  Mighty fine spa.  
If you pick a HotSpring, I'm sure you'll love it as well.
Owning a HotSpring is like owning a Honda Accord, everybody and their brother has one.  

You're biggest factor if deciding between these 2 spas, should be the dealer you'll be dealing with.   He becomes a very important figure even after the sale.  His promptness and care for you and the welfare of your spa should be the number 1 deciding factor.  

No offense to Hot Springs, but when I was shopping for my spa last year,  the Hot Springs dealership totally ignored my presence in their store, (Energy House),  and I was in their for a half hour looking at different spas.  Noone took the time to get up off their butt to even say hi.   I knew right then, that I would have to look elsewhere.

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 11:23:47 am »
We are wet testing the Coleman 481 premium tonight, but were very impressed with the local dealer.  I was in on Monday and they had a floor model sitting there empty. We got a call the next day that it was ready to test.  Has all the bells and whistles, stereo, ozone, coverlifter, steps, premium package for $6,700.  I have been waiting for Hotsprings to fill their Vanguard, but they told me that I should sit in the Grandee to get a feel for what it would be like, and they want $8,800 for their floor model with no steps or stereo.  Not real impressed with my HS dealer.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 02:28:06 pm »
$8800 for the Vangaurd or the Grandee???.....If that is the price on the Vangaurd, personally, I would think it is a little high.  I have seen people get the Grandee for less than that.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 03:42:43 pm »
Welcome to the board ProfMark, this is a great place to gather information. I’ve owned two Coleman spas over the last 10 years. My first Coleman was a 1994 top of the Coleman line at the time 6 person spa, we were very happy with it. Just last Feb. I sold it to my neighbor and purchased a 2004 Coleman 706 spa, which is now the top of the Coleman line. My whole family is in love with tubing all over again. This is an incredible spa! The 705 that you’re looking at is the same spa except it has two loungers and mine has only one. They both have the same outside dimensions, pumps, and number of jets.

I’ve sold Coleman spas for over 10 years, and I’ve seen very positive changes to the Coleman line over the years. Coleman spas by MAAX is a solid company with great dealer support and a great warranty.

I’ll agree this is a hard purchase so what I’m about to tell you will sound strange. Don’t worry about full foam vs. thermal lock, easier access, circ pump vs. jet pump for filtration, metal vs. wood frame and all the other my spa does this better than that spa, you’re going to hear. If there was one and only one superior way to build hottubs they would all be built the same and use the same technology. But as you have seen that’s not the case and thankfully the spa world is full of choices.

It is absolutely essential that you wet test the two spas you’re looking at. Both spa’s are good choices. It won’t matter how secure you feel with the spas technology if it doesn’t fit you or your family, and you’re not comfortable in the seats.

Hotsprings has an excellent reputation, but like Coleman and every other spa company, they’ve had there growing pains as well. We forget that this industry is really in its infancy compared to the auto industry. That’s why theirs no creditable rating systems in place and no unbiased energy studies being done.

With all that being said the salesperson in me just has to come out.

The 705 has 53 jets powered by 3  2.5 hp 2-speed pumps. Each pump powers it’s own section of the spa and each has the ability to add air to increase the jet pressure on either speed.

All the jets in the spa are adjustable and can be turned off independently from one another this lets you tailor your therapy experience. This spa has above the water neck lets that shoot down onto the top of your neck in the lounger seat and I should add the lounger has 16 specialized, back, hip, calf, and foot jets. This is my very favorite seat and it has one of the 2.5 hp pumps all to itself. The two wing back seats have back, neck, hip, shoulder, foot, and carpel tunnel jets in them.

This spa comes standard with a back control panel, a remote, fibor optic lights both inside and around the perimetor, as well as a three level white light.

The spa's curved front accepts a specially designed step that follow the same line of the spa giving it a very finished look.

The 705 and 706 has unique design that oozes class. This spa is always at our shows because of the wow factor. It brings people in the booth and gets a lot of oohs and ahhs.

I hope you get the chance to wet test one with the showroom dark so you can get the full effect of the fiber optic lights. Keep us posted on let me know if I can be of any help.

Spahappy :D

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 05:45:40 pm »
Owning a HotSpring is like owning a Honda Accord, everybody and their brother has one.  

Actually my brother doesn't own a Hot Spring.  ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 05:46:44 pm »
I would also suggest Artesian spas.
Measure once, cut twice.

spahappy

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 05:54:26 pm »
I've had two Honda Accords during my driving life. Great cars, they'll run forever, unless you give them to your 17 year old.

spahappy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 06:35:59 pm »
We are wet testing the Coleman 481 premium tonight, but were very impressed with the local dealer.  I was in on Monday and they had a floor model sitting there empty. We got a call the next day that it was ready to test.  Has all the bells and whistles, stereo, ozone, coverlifter, steps, premium package for $6,700.  I have been waiting for Hotsprings to fill their Vanguard, but they told me that I should sit in the Grandee to get a feel for what it would be like, and they want $8,800 for their floor model with no steps or stereo.  Not real impressed with my HS dealer.

Good luck on your wet test tonight!

BTW 6700.00 is a great price on that spa with the stereo and the other options you're getting.

Spahappy :D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 02:27:47 pm »

Actually my brother doesn't own a Hot Spring.  ;)

My brother(in-law) does own a 17 year old HotSpring...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 01:16:41 am »
We were very impressed with the spa's feel, except for the fact I could not fit into the seat with the neck and quad jets.  I was too tall for it.  Also, when they hooked up the tub to power so we could wet test it, they crossed the feeds and fryed the circuit board, stereo and lights.  Also, the thing that really bugged us was that when you would turn the 1 power jet on max for the foot massage, the water fall would shoot all the way across the tub.  I was told they had fixed this problem on the 05 models, and I asked if they could fix this on the 04.  He should be calling me tomorrow with the answer.  Other than not being able to fit in the one seat, everyother seat was extremely comfortable.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 10:01:27 am »
We were very impressed with the spa's feel, except for the fact I could not fit into the seat with the neck and quad jets.  I was too tall for it.  Also, when they hooked up the tub to power so we could wet test it, they crossed the feeds and fryed the circuit board, stereo and lights.  Also, the thing that really bugged us was that when you would turn the 1 power jet on max for the foot massage, the water fall would shoot all the way across the tub.  I was told they had fixed this problem on the 05 models, and I asked if they could fix this on the 04.  He should be calling me tomorrow with the answer.  Other than not being able to fit in the one seat, everyother seat was extremely comfortable.

There is a fix for the '04 models. The waterfall can be plumbed into the controls for a neck jet. In this case you would have the waterfall on while the neck jets are on.....not ideal, thats why the new tubs have independant valves for the waterfall.

I had one customer elect to simply have his waterfall disconnected.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 10:01:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42