What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking to purchase my first Spa.  (Read 6366 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Looking to purchase my first Spa.
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:07:33 pm »
Like everything else I get myself into I started surfing the net for hours consuming information so I could make an informed decision. I found this forum and have enjoyed reading!

I live in Michigan and in my short time of looking into spa's I have found Hot Spring and Caldera (both by Watkins I found out). Both I have read to be top runners in a quality spa purchase. I also am aware of Tiger River which my HS dealer also sells.

I love the fact that HS guarantees their operating cost. Not so much that I would go through the headache of testing it with their meter but that they are confident that there spas are that well insulated. Have not seen another manufacture offering that in writing?

Does anybody in Michigan have one or two more that I should consider that would be of equal quality?

I think one or two more choices will be fine for selection and negotiating.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking to purchase my first Spa.
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:07:33 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Looking to purchase my first Spa.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 10:45:22 pm »
I think "most" will agree...That along with Hot Springs...you have D-1....Marquis....Sundance among the very top....I think and I know I might tick a few off here....but Caldera and Jacuzzi Premium are just a slight step down within the company's family that own them...it is not a big step just a slight one....and than you have others who are also good but most likely will get more different points of view as to there position in the spa world....I am thinking of company's like Coleman, and Master...Dynasty....Artesian among others that to some feel they belong at the top.. but will also have those who would suggest other wise....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 10:51:11 pm by Mendocino101 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 11:28:55 pm »
Read through the reviews here and at rhtubs and see what people have said about their spas.

Your going to get a lot of "bests" given to you. There is a long list of good spas out there AND a list of junk too. My suggestion would be go to as many dealers and see as many different tubs that you can. If you can wet test - do so.

The tub is one aspect of the purchase and the dealer is another.  You'll be suprised of how you'll click with some dealers and dislike others.

Take your time and you'll find "THE ONE".

Good Luck!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 11:41:03 pm »
Vinny,

That is a good point....the dealer is as important as the tub....when it all comes down to it you will get hydro- therapy from any spa....I think the reason why those who many consider as the upper tier of spa company's ... is not because their spas are so much better... it is that it has been shown over the years that they as a company tend to take better care of their customers....as well as making a solid product....

nicker

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 08:28:22 am »
I agree with the dealer point.  That was the first thing for me even before the tub purchase it self.  I just couldn't buy a tub I liked from a dealer that just didn't sit right with me.  Luckily for me I found a great dealer and a tub I loved.  For me I looked at the following.   Good dealer I felt comfortable with, cost, warranty, how the tub felt for me/family, reviews on the brand I was interesteed and I took it from there.  Everyone has their opions of tubs so you really have to find one that YOU are comfortable with in all aspects.

Good luck.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 08:52:06 am »
Excellent, excellent replies for you, drober.  The only other thing to suggest is wet test, wet test, wet test and don't be in a hurry.....a tub is a MAJOR purchase and extra time to find the one for you will return MAJOR dividends down the road....
Good luck.  8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 10:19:05 am »
Thanks to everyone for the replies!  I look forward to reading more.

Like everything else I have purchased, snowmobile, wave runners and car's and the sales department tries to up sell their service department.

I think you can look at things like amount of time in business, in house repair crew ect...   but like most other types of sales, sale people move around.

The sales person can promise good service but he may be gone next month. I agree it’s important to buy from a reliable dealer who has been around for a decent time but you can’t judge their service till you need it.

Yes you can read the (nice) letters they have displayed or they would even be able to refer you to (satisfied) customers but that’s not really going to tell you how "your" service experience will be.

So I agree that I will and always do consider those aspects but price can vary by more than a thousand dollars between dealers.

I hope that by looking at name brand and not Hom* D*pot that I will be working with quality dealers in my area.

Thanks!

Dean

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 11:05:02 am »
I hope that by looking at name brand and not Hom* D*pot that I will be working with quality dealers in my area.

Thanks!

Dean

There are no guarantees in life but sticking with Hot Springs, Caldera, Sundance, Jacuzzi and Marquis is a wise choice IMO.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 01:06:53 pm »
There are no guarantees in life but sticking with Hot Springs, Caldera, Sundance, Jacuzzi and Marquis is a wise choice IMO.

drober,
Please don't limit yourself to tuo's list....you may not find the spa and/or dealer that is right for you.  But please include the manufacturers listed by tuo in your search because they are quality manufacturers. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 01:29:19 pm »
drober,
Please don't limit yourself to tuo's list....you may not find the spa and/or dealer that is right for you.  But please include the manufacturers listed by tuo in your search because they are quality manufacturers. 8)

I agree as I certainly didn't mean you should limit yourself to ONLY those on my short list as it was meant to be just that, MY short list. There are other spa makers that others endorse as being on THEIR short list for Quality makers and I'm certainly not soing to say they're opinions are inferior to mine (well, not all of them anyway ;D). In reality, sometimes its more important to know who NOT to consider and IMO that would include well known makers such as CalSpas and Thermospas and a few smaller makers who have less than good reputations for Quality and Service. Then again, that's just MY opinion as well but I'm sticking to it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 12:09:17 pm by Spatech_tuo »

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 02:52:21 pm »
Again.. thanks for the replies!  Other good names in the spa industry is exactly what I was after. I will see if there are dealers in my area.

I'm sure that I would be happy with Hot Springs or Caldera and the other names mentioned will give me one or two other choices.

I really don’t want ten companies to choose from, more like four.

It's funny because when I decided to buy a spa, the first thing I did was go to Cal spa’s website and found a dealer ( great marketing they do)!

The Cal spa dealer also sold Caldera and said that Cal spa was not really in the same league as HS or Caldera and from there my research began.

Both the local stores offer wet test and at the time I thought to myself no.... but after reading this forum and other research I will definitely be showing off the beer gut and trying the spa's before I commit.

I have to say that both dealers I have been to so far have been EXCEPTIONALY nice! especially the HS dealer.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 12:02:25 pm »
I am only 2 weeks into owning my new Hot Spring Envoy, but would have to say that I disagree with Mendocino about Caldera.  I owned a Caldera Geneva Utopia before the Envoy.  In all honesty, and not to take anything away from the Envoy as it is a really great tub, but it is not as good as the Geneva.  In fact, except for the new double Motomessager, which is quite effective, the Caldera excells in every other way.  

Having now owned both, but admittedly for only a short time with the HS, I would have to say that in quality both HS and Caldera are essentially identical (and excellent), but in terms of performance and attention to details the Caldera is clearly superior.

One area that is constantly discussed here is the difference in the filtration systems.  They are different, but equally effective in my experience so far.

Regards,

Bill

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 12:27:14 pm »
I am only 2 weeks into owning my new Hot Spring Envoy, but would have to say that I disagree with Mendocino about Caldera.  I owned a Caldera Geneva Utopia before the Envoy.  In all honesty, and not to take anything away from the Envoy as it is a really great tub, but it is not as good as the Geneva.  In fact, except for the new double Motomessager, which is quite effective, the Caldera excells in every other way.  

Having now owned both, but admittedly for only a short time with the HS, I would have to say that in quality both HS and Caldera are essentially identical (and excellent), but in terms of performance and attention to details the Caldera is clearly superior.

One area that is constantly discussed here is the difference in the filtration systems.  They are different, but equally effective in my experience so far.

Regards,

Bill

Hi BIll...
What I was saying that within the company's family's (Watkins) Hot Springs is at the top of there line with Caldera just a again "slight" step below...there are some things from a build stand point that you just don;t get with the Caldera that are on the Hot Springs....but again it is a very good spa....the same thing would apply to Sundance and Jacuzzi preminum....both are very nice....but Sundance is the slightly upper end tub from the parent company though I think they are getting more and more a like....

poolboy34

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 01:10:10 pm »
Just an observation here, and might just be me.  After looking at the three new models in the hot spring line the past year (Envoy, Vista, and Accolade) it seems that watkins is taking alot of the design ques from their Caldera Line and incorporating them in the Hot Spring line.  Look at the "Captains" chairs in the new hot spring models and compare them to the ones on the Caldera Spas.....VERY similar.  Like wise with the shell colors, Champagne Opal and Sand.  These same shell colors were incorporated on the caldera line BEFORE they were introduced to the Hot Spring line.  Maybe it's just me, but this BS about Caldera being a "second rate" product to Hot Spring is just that, BS.  In fact they are more similar then different.I don't know how Caldera was prior to Watkins purchasing them but as of today they are one of the best lines of spas on the market today.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 01:31:57 pm »
Good observations Poolboy. Hot Springs and Caldera seem to be kept fairly separate but also seem to have influenced each other which is what you'd expect as you tend to take the best from each and use it to improve yourself. In fact, since its dealers are mostly separate you know Watkins isn't going to leave it out there to compete with the other big guys unless it has the ability to do so. I seem to hear some rumblings that Sundance has treated Jacuzzi somewhat as a second banana but I really don't hear Caldera dealers saying the quite the same thing. There is the perception with some that Caldera is a secondary line since it was a smaller player when Watkins bought it but it really has become a stand alone product IMO comparable with Marquis, D1 and Sundance. These things are very subjective but it does seem that the Caldera dealers and most importantly the customers that post on these sites seem to praise the product.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 01:31:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42