What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Take My Cal Spa.........Please (Final Update)  (Read 10091 times)

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
Take My Cal Spa.........Please (Final Update)
« on: October 22, 2004, 07:49:50 pm »
I have a 7 year old Cal Spas Hawaiian Classic 2000 which has developed no fewer than (13) 1" to 4" blisters in the interior. One of these blisters is located at a drain outlet and leaks profusely when the pump is on.

According to the "warranty" that came with the spa, the acrylic plus shell is supposed to be warranted for 10 years.
After talking with a Cal Spas' CSR, they quickly made several attempts to invalidate my warranty over the phone by claiming that I must have mistreated it, overheated, or improperly installed it. They even went so far as to claim that because the dealer I purchased it from is no longer in business that the warranty is invalid. Keep in mind that the warranty is on Cal Spas paperwork, not the dealers. The bottom line is that they are refusing to honor the terms of their own warranty.

I am preparing to pursue this issue through legal channels but in the meantime, and for who knows how long, I am without a spa.
After talking with other people, dealers and message boards, I have discovered that this is a typical scenario with Cal Spas when it comes to handling warranty problems. In addition, the blistering issue also seems to be some type of manufacturing defect inherent in some of the older Cal Spas.
Any of you who have experienced similar situations with this are encouraged to post. It would be interesting to see how others have or haven't been resolved.

Just a heads up for potential Cal Spas customers....you get what you pay for and in my case much less.
Run don't walk to another brand if you are currently considering purchasing a Cal Spa, you'll be glad you did.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 04:57:52 pm by Yorag »

Hot Tub Forum

Take My Cal Spa.........Please (Final Update)
« on: October 22, 2004, 07:49:50 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Take My Cal Spa.........Please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
I'm sorry to read about your problems. I'm even more sorry to say it is not uncommon with Cal.

Keep us posted.  :'( :'(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:54:26 am »
Interesting that they'd be able to diagnose the source of this problem without sending someone out to see the spa.  I suppose it's in their best interest to delay you as long as possible, hoping you'll go away.  They've already got your money long ago, and realize that with the POS spa you got you won't be buying another from them.   :P
Brewman
Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 01:31:21 pm »
Well, so much for the "improvements" in the company since Chuck Hewit left. Souds like they are still up to their old tricks. That's good for the rest of us though. The more the word gets out, the less of those tubs get sold.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 06:01:17 pm »
Bumping my own post because I want people to see the information contained.
If I can't bring Cal Spas to the table to resolve my warranty issues, then I don't want others to get caught in the same situation.
Yes I did get a POS spa, but I didn't realize it when I bought it.
The only "improvements" I see happening at Cal Spas is further expansion of their facility. Obviously not in their product or service.
I really think their business plan is to sell one spa to each customer and move on. To hell with reputation and customer service. Who needs it when you're selling disposable tubs.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 08:06:35 pm »
How did the spa work for you over the seven years?
How do you know how much you don't know?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 08:12:29 pm »
Bumping my own post because I want people to see the information contained.
If I can't bring Cal Spas to the table to resolve my warranty issues, then I don't want others to get caught in the same situation.
Yes I did get a POS spa, but I didn't realize it when I bought it.
The only "improvements" I see happening at Cal Spas is further expansion of their facility. Obviously not in their product or service.
I really think their business plan is to sell one spa to each customer and move on. To hell with reputation and customer service. Who needs it when you're selling disposable tubs.

Here's a little secret for you. If you post a negative on eopinions.com or ripoffreport.com they will probably take care of you just to keep you quiet. They seem to follow these boards and take care of only the people that gripe the loudest. Sad that you have to resort to that to get good customer service. Please keep us informed.

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 08:30:47 pm »
I had a fair amount of other issues as well. About a month after we purchased it, the diverter valve cracked and began leaking, the temperature sensor came out of the well and there were several small leaks at the outlets. These were all repaired by the dealer without any problems or expense.

After about 4 years, the Balboa Controls circuit board ($375.00) fried for no apparent reason, and the spa was non-operable for over 3 months while I battled with Cal Spas to get it replaced under the 5 year warranty. Since the dealer was already out of business at that time, I had to go direct to Cal Spas for warranty repair. Since there were no "authorized" Cal Spa service reps in my area, I had to pay another spa contractor to fix it and then send the entire bill to Cal Spa for reimbursement. That took several weeks of repeated phone calls and arguing to finally get resolved.

Other than these quality / warranty related issues, the spa has functioned properly.

My point is, if you're going to sell a 5 year unconditional parts and 10 year shell warranty, then honor the terms of your warranty!
This attitude of "the customer is always wrong" and must have done something to cause this to happen, is completely unacceptable, and the offending manufacturer must be made accountable for their inactions.

Spas should last between 15-20 years with proper maintenance and the occasional minor repair. To have one become completely useless after only 7 is unacceptable.

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 08:50:36 pm »
If you post a negative on eopinions.com or ripoffreport.com they will probably take care of you just to keep you quiet

Thanks Stuart, I'll do just that. I have already filed complaints with the Dept. of Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. I'm not going to hesitate to add a couple more to the list if it might expedite a resolution.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 09:05:22 pm »

Thanks Stuart, I'll do just that. I have already filed complaints with the Dept. of Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. I'm not going to hesitate to add a couple more to the list if it might expedite a resolution.

check this out, complete with factory rebuttle
http://ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff14909.htm

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 09:08:39 pm »
Stuart,

You are so full of it I mean information. ??? ???

Rocket

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 09:10:52 pm »
Stuart,

You are so full of it I mean information. ??? ???

Rocket

What you should have said is;

Stuart,

You are so full of mean information!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 09:32:16 pm »
I forgot to add something…….

Take My Cal Spa.........Please

NO THANKS!

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 10:17:13 pm »
Here's the report I filed at  Rip off Reports.com. it's the most recent one.

http://ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q5=Cal+Spas&submit2=Search%21&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0
Surprised to see so many others with the same complaints.
Thanks for the suggestion!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 02:24:32 pm by Yorag »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 11:13:56 pm »
Here's the report I filed at  Rip off Reports.com.

http://ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q5=Cal+Spas&submit2=Search%21&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0
Surprised to see so many others with the same complaints.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Here, I'll help

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 11:13:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42