What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water logged covers  (Read 5981 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Water logged covers
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:41:47 pm »
Ok, what is the cause of water logged covers? I've heard mention that it can be caused by closing the lid after adding chlorine.

If gassing could cause that, wouldn't it affect both cover halves equally?  I noticed the "front half" of the cover is water logged and has put on a lot of weight.   I always fold it onto the back half and then on to the lifter so until today I hadn't noticed that the back half seems as light as it aways was.   The tub's 2nd birthday will be in another 6 weeks or so.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Water logged covers
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:41:47 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Water logged covers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:49:37 pm »
Can you unzip the cover and see if there is a split, tear or hole in the poly wrap. Anything from the top of the cover?

Not even 2 years doesn't seem a long enough time to have to replace the cover.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:51:47 pm »
A spa cover can get waterlogged due to water vapor saturating the foam insert within the vinyl cover. The foam has a plastic vapor barrier over it when you get the cover but if that barrier gets compromised vapor gets in and the foam can act like a sponge. You probably developed a small tear in the plastic or it may have been there from the onset and was minor and slowly saturated the foam. If the weather were warm and dry and the foam still in good shape you could remove it and set it dry aside to dry and then try to reinstall it (a bit of a pain).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 11:57:20 am »
I absolutely love the covers we use!  I never have to deal with this.  The common cover is subject to saturation in soooo many ways.  Sticthing, however being the main culprit.  If you don't stich the seams, you don't need the zipper or the gromets.  This is a product we have had 100% satisfaction (and I don't say that about all of the products we carry {note I didn't say sell}).  The covers we order are heat sealed (Melted) at the seams, so they take on no water!

Sorry to get all emotional, I just think they're great.  

PS.  We don't order covers from Master, we use an after market manuf.
¿

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:14:28 pm »
Bill;

Do you leave the cover completely off when you add chlorine or shock?

If not, this could explain why one side went first, otherwise I would tend to agree with Spatech.

I am jealous of huh? Who makes those covers? Are they large or small?

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:13:03 pm »
Bill;

If not, this could explain why one side went first,

If  I throw the chlorine in the center of the tub and leave the jets on for 20 minutes why would that affect one side and not the other?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:22:06 pm »
Bill;

If not, this could explain why one side went first, otherwise I would tend to agree with Spatech.

I am jealous of huh? Who makes those covers? Are they large or small?

HTM

Any Size custom made!
¿

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 03:56:58 pm »

If  I throw the chlorine in the center of the tub and leave the jets on for 20 minutes why would that affect one side and not the other?

It would affect the side that is still on the tub. Perhaps we have a communication failure.

Some people beleive that they can open, but not remove the cover for the purpose of allowing off-gasing. This is not as effective as completely removing the cover from the top side of the spa. The side that is still over the tub has the gases contacting the cover.

Now does my question make sense?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:58:19 pm by HotTubMan »

sippy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:41:59 pm »
Hey guys i know a sue fire way to slow the effects of water logging your covers - if anyone has tried these let me know !! but i purchase a new thermal swimming pool (bubble plastic) cover every year at $19.99 for a twelve foot cover and trim it with scissors to fit my tub exactly!! = keeps alot of water off the cover and keeps heat in = also syops the evaporation process very much in winter i was adding water every 2 weeks - we use out tub alot - now i add maybe once a month i think it works very well !!! any input???

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 05:59:56 pm »
How many others use these?  Ocassionaly we get a customer asking for them.  But not very often.
¿

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 06:10:04 pm »
It would affect the side that is still on the tub. Perhaps we have a communication failure.

Some people beleive that they can open, but not remove the cover for the purpose of allowing off-gasing. This is not as effective as completely removing the cover from the top side of the spa. The side that is still over the tub has the gases contacting the cover.

Now does my question make sense?

Yes, it does, however, its the side that remains on the tub that is not waterlogged so I guess my problem was caused by water coming through the seams.  I did notice the blue wrap around the foam torn on this side.

steve771

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 10:59:20 pm »
Regarding leaving the cover off for gassing off of chorine...  how long is long enough?  I normally run the jets for about 15 minutes with the cover open.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 08:33:09 am »
Regarding leaving the cover off for gassing off of chorine...  how long is long enough?  I normally run the jets for about 15 minutes with the cover open.

Good question and I hope your answer is correct because it's my answer too with only this difference.....when I shock with dichlor, I leave it open about 30 minutes with jets running. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 11:14:57 am »
Good question and I hope your answer is correct because it's my answer too with only this difference.....when I shock with dichlor, I leave it open about 30 minutes with jets running. 8)

The answer depends on on how much cl you add, and even then it's variable.

If you super chlorinate/brominate to 10-15 PPM I would recommend at least 30 minutes, even longer.

steve771

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 02:47:28 pm »
I use a teasp00n just after getting out (pretty much every day).  I felt with that lower amount, 15 minutes would be enough, yes?   I've been leaning heavily on MPS for shocking lately, more to have the tub available for use than anything.  But I still use a dichlor shock on occasion (not quite two tablesp00ns), and I would hope the 30 minutes in that case would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 02:47:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42