What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help please! Which Taylor test kit?  (Read 3963 times)

vanbar6

Help please! Which Taylor test kit?
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:04:50 pm »
Well, I've been enjoying my Euphoria SA free of any water problems (thanks to Stuart).  I searched in order to purchase a Taylor test kit that I have read about but there are several different kits.  Is there a specific one I should be using?  I don't want to under or over do it when I buy.  

Stuart, you are awesome!  My water has been near perfect since startup although I am probably jinxing myself as I type.  

Gary, you are too awesome.  My marquis is great.  I will eventually try to post a pic once my deck is complete.  Funny, the boards only got laid up to where the spa sits...

Can anyone recommed an online place to buy filters.  I want an extra set around.

Barb

Hot Tub Forum

Help please! Which Taylor test kit?
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:04:50 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Help please! Which Taylor test kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:17:43 am »
Barb,

You want the following tests in your kit, or at least, what I think (and my kit tests these)!

FC=Free Chlorine
CC=Combined Chlorine
TC=Total Chlorine
PH=Gives you your ph reading
Calcium Harness
(Mine also tests CYA, but I have never used it.)

What you need is a re-agent (with drops) kit that will test all of the above!  Now, hopefully, one of the experts will correct me, if I have forgotten anything.

Hope this helps!!!

P.S.  Glad you are enjoying that new Marquis!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:18:50 am by Lori »
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

nicker

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:27:33 am »
I too am looking for somthing that tests a more then the PH, TA and CL.  

Lori does your kit test the TA too?  and what is CYA ?

Can anyone in Ontario are tell me where we can get the taylor kits?  I know people say you can get them at Wallmart but that must be in the US as I have not seen them in the Canadian wallmarts.

thanks

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:52:08 am »
Try spa dealers, or online.  I don't think Walmart carries this.  At least the ones in our area don't.  
Brewmam
Brewman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:45:37 am »
Taylor Test Kit #2005 can be purchased from Doc at
Taylor Test Kit
It includes tests for FC, TC, TA, CH, pH, acid demand, base demand and CYA.  He also has test strips for TDS, if you are interested. The included booklet is a wonderful resource for water balance and sanitizer understanding and the Watergram is very useful as well....that's all I use to keep crystal water.  
The Taylor Test Kit is highly recommended by the goddess of Spatopia, too! ;)

BTW, CYA is cyanuric acid which is part of dichlor.  It isn't necessary to test for it regularly as it doesn't build to detrimental levels until after a regular water change is due.....and either partially or completely changing water is the only way to lower CYA levels.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:02:37 am by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

jmig

• caldera geneva utopia
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 11:19:17 am »
try a Google search for taylor test kits. I just won one on Ebay. Looks like it tests for everything the above posters mentioned.

txwillie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 11:53:31 am »
do these also test/work for bromine?

txwillie

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 12:13:44 pm »
do these also test/work for bromine?

txwillie

FC CC and TC test for Chlorine only - some folks will tell you that you can use these readings with a conversion factor (somewhere around x2.3) to determine Bromine levels though there are some problems with that thinking. Combined Bromine is considered to remain 80% effective therefore the Total Bromine reading is most important in a Bromine system (compared to Combined Chlorine being closer to 0% effective therefore Free Chlorine is the more important reading in a Chlorine system).

For Bromine systems I would recommend something that tests for Total Bromine (found most commonly on test strips).
e

vanbar6

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:48 pm »
Uh oh, now I'm confused again.  I use the spa frog system which I believe is bromine.  Will the Taylor kit work with that?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 01:34:51 pm »
Yes it will. There is just no need to use the Free Chlorine test.

I am unclaer whether the Taylor kit has a scale listed for Br/Cl or just Cl. If it is just a Cl scale, you can use the 2.3 multiplier as empologation mentioned.
Homeworks Financing Representative

tansu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 02:50:01 pm »

BE CAREFUL! I just bought a "new" Taylor K-2005 and discovered the reagents were old and useless;  they do not have a date on them. You have to call Taylor and ask how old each of the bottles are with their coding.
I wasted $50 on kit, $xx on chemicals trying to get water right from bad information, and two weeks of frustration.
TAYLOR DOES A GREAT DISSERVICE NOT PUTTING DATES ON BOTTLES!!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 05:17:59 pm »
Yes it will. There is just no need to use the Free Chlorine test.

I am unclaer whether the Taylor kit has a scale listed for Br/Cl or just Cl. If it is just a Cl scale, you can use the 2.3 multiplier as empologation mentioned.

HTM,
There is indeed a BR scale on the indicator vial........ 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 01:30:52 pm »
Your Marquis Spas dealer should have everything that you need for the enjoyment of your spa. I agree with you, the Marquis Euphoria is awesome...

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 08:51:25 pm »
vanbar6...

How did you makeout with your deck? Is it finished yet?
From what you were telling me, it sounded likeis was going to be stunning. I am looking forward to seeing some film of it. ;)

vanbar6

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 01:52:14 pm »
Nah, not done yet.  Too cold right now.  Working on the inside toys now....then a nice wind down period in the Euphoria.  I will definitely post pics when finished.  I want to make sure my Marquis dealer gets some public kudos for working the kinks out for me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 01:52:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42