What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Master Spa LSX vs. Cal Spa SQ-92  (Read 7098 times)

BadBack

• In a state of Euphoria!
Master Spa LSX vs. Cal Spa SQ-92
« on: January 13, 2005, 03:41:51 pm »
Hi, I am new to this site and looking for a little help.  Have been looking at spa's for many years but seriously for the past two.  I see many people have an issue with the Cal Spa and to be honest with you I kind of feel there can be problems with all brands.  I am a big guy, 6'5 and my wife is 6' and we do not fit in many tubs.  I just recently had back surgery and want a spa with a strong focus on therepy.  The local Cal Spa dealer has been in business for over 40 years, they also install inground and above ground pools.  In there showroom they had over 50 spas on display and about 20 of them were operational.  I live in a very competitive area, Long Island , and both spas were about the same price, $7,500.  The salesman was low pressure and made sure to emphasis all service calls were a flat fee of $50.00, this was to fix any problem covered under warranty.  I have also looked at Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Tiger River, Coast Spa and a few others.  Any opinions on these spas beside the usual.  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Master Spa LSX vs. Cal Spa SQ-92
« on: January 13, 2005, 03:41:51 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Master Spa LSX vs. Cal Spa SQ-92
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 03:51:46 pm »
I am a big guy, 6'5 and my wife is 6' and we do not fit in many tubs.  

I don't normally push the brand of tub that I bought, but I am 6'2 and have a 6'7 friend and  for tall people the Dynasty Excalibur is very comfortable. (click on home icon to the left for pictures. <----) I think with taller people formed seats lock you in to particular spots.  The more open seating of this tub allows me to get just about any part of my body in front of a jet and sit comfortably in any seat.  

Important in this regard is the footwell.  My tub has a huge footwell in which I have had 6 people and nobody is bumping up againt another, unless they want to. This footwell has a really powerful "footblaster" jet.  At my height I can sit in the footwell and use this as an incredible back massage. And of course I notice your user name implies you might be interested in that.

Of course when those of us east of the Mississippi hear Socal, we think LA.  I know there is a dealer in Oxnard.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:55:06 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 04:18:54 pm »
I had a couple come in and purchase a HotSpring Grandee a couple of months ago.  He was 6'8" and she was 6'2" :o!

They wet tested the Vista and Envoy but were too long for the lounge.  The Grandee fit them perfectly.  Deep footwell, open seating, varying jet positions.  Like wmccall stated, the open seating allows you to position yourself for optimum hydrotherapy.  Be sure and wet test.

CEO
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:07:14 pm »
Bad,
I have a 2004 LSX and I'm extremely happy with it.  Read my review here:
LSX Review
After 6 months of ownership, it has performed flawlessly--no issues yet.  Being larger, I think you would enjoy the depth of the tub.  Though not as tall as you, I'm 5'11" and find that out of the 5 designated seats, the depth of 3 seats (Xtreme Therapy seat, Shoulder seat, and lounger) is just above my shoulders at lower neck level.  The waterfall seat is at high chest level and the cooldown seat is mid torso.
If after reading the review, please feel free to ask any questions about the tub you may have.  If your $7500 price includes steps, lifter, LED (not fiber optic), extra filters, setup and delivery then that is a very good price.  Good luck with your choice and be sure to wet test all tubs, including the LSX.  The wet test will make a big impression on your decision.  And don't be in a rush....a big investment like a tub is worth the time investment as well.  Good luck and happy hunting. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

huh?

• &quot;42&quot;
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 05:31:17 pm »
Wet test is key.  Would you buy a $7,500 car without test-driving.  Not too familiar with the Cal...But the LSX is one of our most popular products (yes I am a salesman).  If you are not too fond of loungers, take a look at the Brand New 2005 LS2X.  

Happy Shopping!
8)
¿

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 05:47:51 pm »
I had a couple come in and purchase a HotSpring Grandee a couple of months ago.  He was 6'8" and she was 6'2" :o!

Ask them if their kids have an agent yet and if not send them my way as they should have some huge kids we can groom for the NBA or NFL.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mowgli1

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 06:38:36 pm »
Just bought  LSX 1050 last Sunday. I'm 6' 2'' and this tub is great. It is 3 in. deeper than the other LSX models. This spa is large ,595 gal.,8' by 10' . It seats seven and has a large foot area. I paid 9900 at a show in Michigan. Masterspa reps  agreed to pay shipping to our new home in Tucson Az. The cover,led lighting, steps, and lifter included. This is 2004 model.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 09:45:05 am »
BadBack, I hope your back is really not bad. I don't know a whole lot about Master, it seems that people are generally content with it. But, if you are considering the Cal with the adjutable therapy system, find an Artesian dealer, try the Piper Glen or the Dove Canyon. I did a wet test in one the other day,... UNBELIEVABLE, a little more pricey, but WOW!!! ;)

Happy spa shopping...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 09:59:36 am »

Ask them if their kids have an agent yet and if not send them my way as they should have some huge kids we can groom for the NBA or NFL.

They neither one appear to be able to withstand severe wind gusts (more like Manute Bol than Shaquille O'Neal).  Would really need to spend some time at the training table! ;D
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 10:42:29 am »

They neither one appear to be able to withstand severe wind gusts (more like Manute Bol than Shaquille O'Neal).  Would really need to spend some time at the training table! ;D

I'll put them on the Barry Bonds "training" regimen.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

salesdvl

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:58:32 am »
MasterSpa or Cal... Man, I can't believe I'm saying this but I would get the M....M.....I can't say it.  Just don't get the Cal.

And don't tell Windsurdog I said that.   :-X
Measure once, cut twice.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 11:03:15 am »
MasterSpa or Cal... Man, I can't believe I'm saying this but I would get the M....M.....I can't say it.  Just don't get the Cal.

And don't tell Windsurdog I said that.   :-X

LOL, salesy......the only other thing I would tell the Bad Backed one is if he lived near Chicago, he'd better buy a tub from you..... :D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 01:50:59 pm »
Having a long term dealer rep. for Cal Spas is a plus. In that the prices are equal,I would still stay away from Cal because I think they build spas with a planned obsolesence of about 7-8 years. Obtaining parts and warranty work coverage from the factory in Pomona is a big pain, even for a dealer. So if you have any failures (and believe me you will), plan on weeks without your spa while your dealer waits for parts unless he stocks a lot of them. My Cal Spa has had pump failure, heater failure, ozone failure, board failures (2), and most recently shell blisters. All were covered under my 5 year warranty,  except the blistering which is supposed to be under the 10 year. Each of the mechanical failures resulted in about 3-4 weeks without use of my spa. Primarily because the dealer didn't have the parts, and they had to be ordered from Pomona. Wrong parts are frequently sent and there does not seem to be any urgency on behalf of the factory to expedite your repairs.
Also be very, very cautious with the wording on your Cal Spas warranty. Make sure you know EXACTLY what you are getting. Warranties seem to be pretty nebulous when it comes to Cal.
Cal's emphasis is obviously in selling spas, not customer retention or service. as long as you know that going in, there will not be any surprises.
You might want to read some of the complaints posted here:

[link]http://ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q5=Cal+Spas&submit2=Search%21&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0[/link]

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 01:57:19 pm by Yorag »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 01:50:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42