What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artic, Hotsprings, or LA Spas  (Read 7061 times)

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
Artic, Hotsprings, or LA Spas
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:36:47 pm »
I have been researching for a couple of months now and have narrowed it down to these three Manufactures.  I am looking at an LA Oasis (78 jet), a Hotspring Vanguard, and an Artic Cub Signature.  All seem to offer comparable warranties/options, but the lingo is making my head spin (Full foam vs thermalpane vs ozonators vs water management pumps).  Not real impressed with Hotsprings local dealer (bad mouthing all other tubs), but my dad had one and liked it, I can't find much information in regards to LA, but had a very positive meeting with them, and the Artic people were great, refusing to get into the backstabbing I heard almost everywhere else.  Any feed back on these three would be great.  We are going to be purchasing next month.   ???

Hot Tub Forum

Artic, Hotsprings, or LA Spas
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:36:47 pm »

Shut_Down_Stranger

Re: Artic, Hotsprings, or LA Spas
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:45:28 pm »
I did not the the cheesy bag filter system used in the LA spas tub.

Bought a HS Grandee, no complaints.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 03:49:33 am »
The wet test should tell you which is for you. Don't fall for any salesmans pitch on which is better. HS has a great reputation as the leader in the industry. Arctic has a great looking tub, but some of there sales practices have been decietfull. Haven't heard much about LA. Dealer confidence, wet test.
Retired

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 06:31:49 am »
Wet testing is a must, as has been said before!

I tested the LA Oasis and the HotSpring Vanguard back-to-back.  (Didn't have Artic in my area.)  Both were great tubs, and in my area, both were great dealers.

They are very similar, but feel very different wet!  You would be very surprised!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:00:42 pm »
HS has a great reputation as the leader in the industry. Arctic has a great looking tub, but some of there sales practices have been decietfull.

Tman;

To be fair, your comment about sales practices in not appropriate. I too have experienced negative sales experiences from dealers of Arctic.

That said, this person just posted that the HS dealer is bashing everyone and that the Arctic folks are repectful of other manufacturers.

I guess my point is, it is not fair to paint all Arctic dealers this way and sway TTyacke away from what might be a great dealer to one that uses questionable tactics (the HS dealer bashing others).

Not defending Arctic, just dont think this statement you made above was justified.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 12:01:47 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 12:38:02 pm »
We are wet testing the Artic tonight, and the LA tomorrow night.  Already tested the Vangaurd, but had nothing to compare it too.  Will post our findings. ;)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 12:40:33 pm »
May I suggest taking along a pad and pencil.  Write down your likes/dislikes, or anything that will help you remember your experience.  After a couple of wet tests, it can become confusing which spa felt which way!

Anyway, please, post back your reactions to the other wet tests!

Good luck!  And remember to try and have fun while wet testing!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 02:18:38 pm »
Tman;

To be fair, your comment about sales practices in not appropriate. I too have experienced negative sales experiences from dealers of Arctic.

That said, this person just posted that the HS dealer is bashing everyone and that the Arctic folks are repectful of other manufacturers.

I guess my point is, it is not fair to paint all Arctic dealers this way and sway TTyacke away from what might be a great dealer to one that uses questionable tactics (the HS dealer bashing others).

Not defending Arctic, just dont think this statement you made above was justified.

Yes there practices of deciet have discusted me. But if you notice I did mention at the bottom confidence in the dealer is as important as the wet test, whatever dealer that may be. It's just if there are 10 Arctic dealers 9 of them will use the "what makes sense to you" routine. And I find that full of holes, here's one,  the 16 hours a day the motor is not generating waste heat. I just find that alot of folks seems to get convinced by a sales pitch before they have though through it.
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 02:20:37 pm »
Oh and for what it's worth I am not a big fan of HS either, but there is no denying there reputation.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 02:23:29 pm »
May I suggest taking along a pad and pencil.  Write down your likes/dislikes, or anything that will help you remember your experience.  After a couple of wet tests, it can become confusing which spa felt which way!

Spoken like a true over-40 mind.  :o
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

cflrules

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 03:31:18 pm »

Thank You HotTubMan. Well said.

TTyacke, enjoy your wet test tonight. I am sure you will enjoy the Cub Signature. Make sure you ask to get the therapy/shuttle seat rocking full blast....you will love it!  :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:32:33 pm by cflrules »

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 07:27:32 pm »
 To answer the 16 hours with no pumps running, I did a little test of my own with my tub that is outside in northern Ohio.  The temp of the air space after a filter cycle was 106. After 6 hours the temp was at 100. Also consider I had a panel off while I was installing the digital thermometer at the start of that 6 hours. The heater did not come on during the 6 hours. After the next filter cycle the temp of the air space was 104. After the next 6 hours the air space was 102. Then after another filter cycle was at 105.  The temp of the air space does not vary much from the temp of the water because both the water and pumps are working together. (not isolated from each other with insulation) I did not monitor whether the heater came on during any  other 6 hour breaks but the first. 
  What I also did was take an Arctic, and another  tub that I had in the back of my shop. ( This spa has insulation on the shell and cabinet) They were both empty with the covers on. I put electric space heaters in both, let the heaters run on low speed for 2 hours. At the end of that 2 hours both air spaces were warm. The air inside the shell of the other tub was not warm.  When I lifted the cover from the Arctic the air inside the shell was warm.  Just a test to see how much heat does transfer to the water!!  I did not monitor temps on this test.  
 This being said, TMAN what is you arguement about the 16 hours with no pumps running, if the tub needs to heat during those 6 hour breaks, the pump and heater turn on. If your arguement is that it is more expensive to operate a tub this way, that is your opinion. I don't see what you are so offended by.  You you act like Arctic deceives people into thinking they don't have heaters, but secretly hides one in the way back of the cabinet.  Whichever type of insulation, filtering cycles, etc, you believe are the most affective ways to run a hot tub, are your business.  Have you meet 10 Arctic Dealers, and listened to how they present our product.  Back up your claim that 9 out of 10 Arctic dealers  are what you say they are!!!  

Walkin' on the fight'en side of me!!!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 01:32:00 pm by stabone »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 08:42:23 pm »
Stabone,

Please tell me how you can be certain the heater didn't come on during you test?

Please tell me the average outside temp during your test?

Please tell me the type and model of your temp. gauge in measuring the cabinet air.

Spahappy :D

TTyacke

• Marquis Epic Owner
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 12:38:10 am »
Thanks for the input, we decided to purchase the Artic Avalanche Legend series after our wet tests tonight.  What a tub, and at a great price!  We had a great buying experience and would recommend the Vancouver, WA dealer to any in the area.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 06:07:08 am »
TMAN what is you arguement about the 16 hours with no pumps running, if the tub needs to heat during those 6 hour breaks, the pump and heater turn on. If your arguement is that it is more expensive to operate a tub this way, that is your opinion. I don't see what you are so offended by.  You you act like Arctic deceives people into thinking they don't have heaters, but secretly hides one in the way back of the cabinet.  Whichever type of insulation, filtering cycles, etc, you believe are the most affective ways to run a hot tub, are your business.  Have you meet 10 Arctic Dealers, and listened to how they present our product.  Back up your claim that 9 out of 10 Arctic dealers  are what you say they are!!!  

Walkin' on the fight'en side of me!!!

Stabone........I am simply astonished how you are convinced that less insulation can hold more heat, how less R-factor can hold more heat than more R-factor.

Arctic's claims of superiority have been blasted by many in the know, and to avoid another endless, pointless argument with you I will not go into detail about the holes in the statements that you just made, but I will say this. My design does transfer heat into the water also from motor operation, holds heat in better than arctics design during non run time, and uses less overall KWH than Arctics design. And I use some foam on the shell. As far as operating cost, there's is an Arctic in my neighborhood and several other brands, and we all know each other. Don't feed me your sale's BS

The Arctic does ok as far as operating cost, matter of fact it's only slightly more than a few others around my area, and slightly less than a few others. Not superior as you would have many believe. Most are FF and most are quieter.

Sigh...here we go again. OK I'm sorry I said 9 out of 10 dealers, I meant 8 out of 10 I just read back to the ones that have been here and the one I met so that makes 8 out of 10. There I backed up my statement, there was one nice one on here but I haven't seen him in a while...oops did I just say that, you said you sell what?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 06:07:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42