What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can someone explain to me  (Read 7574 times)

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
Can someone explain to me
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:30:14 am »
what post count has to do with the level of a posters experience or knowledge of the hot tub/spa industry. Or is that just some wierd internet geek pride factor?
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Hot Tub Forum

Can someone explain to me
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:30:14 am »

Chris_H

Re: Can someone explain to me
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:42:24 am »
“what post count has to do with the level of a posters experience or knowledge of the hot tub/spa industry. Or is that just some wierd internet geek pride factor?”

I don’t think the post count has anything to do with a posters knowledge or experience in the industry.  The post count does help us decide who is just trying to stir up controversy like the Artic fiasco.  That was just a guy trying to stir the pot and he had a post count of 1.  That is exactly what transpired a fiasco.

Whereas if a person with a 311 post count started a controversial subject, we would probably have a better reaction and a better understanding on the initial post.

By the way, I think the Colts are going to the Super Bowl.  Hopefully, playing the Philadelphia Eagles.  You are from Indiana, right?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 11:45:13 am »

By the way, I think the Colts are going to the Super Bowl.  Hopefully, playing the Philadelphia Eagles.  You are from Indiana, right?

Don't rub it in! :(

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 11:45:57 am »
Post count has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge.
My count is among the top numberwise, but there are a lot of people on the board with lower counts that know a boatload more about spas than I do.
Brewman
Brewman

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 11:50:59 am »
Don't rub it in! :(

I hope to God I don’t have to suffer through another NFC Championship loss.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 11:51:47 am »
what post count has to do with the level of a posters experience or knowledge of the hot tub/spa industry. Or is that just some wierd internet geek pride factor?

Wisoki,
I don't think anyone that knows me would call me an Internet geek however; I enjoy the info and feel for issues that I get on the forum.

I do feel that years of industry knowledge and experience has added to my 1200 plus posts in around 6 months simply because I was interested in more topics and could add my thoughts to them where many who were not experience probably would not be drawn to...

If this forum was on just about any other industry I can assure you that I would not have anywhere near the number of posts that I do.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 01:01:59 pm »
Hi Frank,

You know I am no expert.  My post count has been from numerous questions, numerous updates, hanging around here for over a year, off topic replies, etc.

I will never consider myself an expert, except with my own tub.  I try to help others who ask questions that I feel I can help with.  I always defer to the experienced.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 01:09:47 pm »
I think you know the answer to that question, if there is a single answer.

I never noticed the count at all, until someone pointed out that I was nearing 1000.  (I take that back, I think I saved post 666 for Steve)

Then it became more of a joke amongst several of us.

PS -Probably 360 of my messages demonstrate no expertise in anything.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:24:07 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 03:28:26 pm »
Some forum software, in addition to tracking post quantity also track post quality.  There are various mechanisms for tracking this, such as "karma" points, "reputation" points, etc...  The idea being that others on the forum can rate the quality of your posts.

Practically, however, if people aren't helpful or just try and stir things up regulars know this and aren't impressed regardless of post count, so it isn't clear, really, the advantage of such systems on a board such as this.

When a "newbie" posts a question, or an insincere statement you get a very quick "peer review" by most of the board, and lately we ain't been shy!  ;D

-Ed

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 03:34:28 pm »
And to add to what Ed said, if a newbie ask a question about green water, foaming, or how to post quotes, he might get pointed to the search feature.  8)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 03:35:23 pm »
Well I've been hanging around here since last May. My post count means nothing to me.

I've enjoyed the humor, learned more about chemicals from Hottubman than I've learned in the last 10 years.

I feel it's not the amount of posts but the subject matter covered that sets the experts apart from the rest of us. ;D

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 09:57:38 pm »
Well, since that question was asked in "certain manner", let me respond in the same.

It's a number we have fun with. It gives us an insight into the lack of face to face social skills some of us have. ;D ;) Does the ability to click a "post" button make any person more knowledageable? I don't think so and I think you knew the answer to that question long before you asked it.

At the end of the day, we just all enjoy each others company, humor, sarcasm (who me? ;)), wit, knowledge and guidance. Weird? Maybe to some, but we can handle that. It's funny that with all of the information at our fingertips on these machines, I often look forward to coming here and joining my cyber friends. If some call that weird or whatever, big deal. We're not here to impress anybody. It’s an exchange of information and the people that have been here the longest, tend to have higher posts counts. That’s it!

I can't imagine never coming here and missing out on the real friendships and knowledge I've personally gained. I really mean that! Not to mention that it beats some of the sites that “some” may or may not frequent! ;)

Steve

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:02:28 pm by Steve »

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 10:10:15 pm »
I feel it's not the amount of posts but the subject matter covered

Loosely translated I would say that means "size doesn't matter but what you do with it."
:o
Measure once, cut twice.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 02:05:28 pm »
Shhh, don't tell anybody! We were doing fine sneaking in under the radar up until that stinking Manning went and broke Marinos record, numbers that DO count, and got all kinds of national recognition! Not to mention Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, Dwight Freeney, and the rest, Super Bowl? Yeah, I think so. Win it? That offence will have to score a boat load of points to do it, but I think they can, and to keep this thread about the industry, BUY A SPA!

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 02:21:08 pm »
Post count has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge.
My count is among the top numberwise, but there are a lot of people on the board with lower counts that know a boatload more about spas than I do.
Brewman

:P If you were to use the post count to demonstrate the knowledge and expertise that I have in Hot Tubs. MAN ALIVE, I'd be at negative something or other. I still consider myself a newbie learning everyday about this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 02:21:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42