What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Dichlor users  (Read 5648 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Question for Dichlor users
« on: January 09, 2005, 01:06:17 pm »
OK, so we've talked about many different ways to maintain a spa from a water care standpoint.

I'm a bromine user and incorporate a bromine floater as part of my maintenece. I've read a number posts on the negative aspects of a floater. Personally, I'm not convinced but my question is, for the people that add small amounts of dichlor daily (still can't get my head around that ;) ) what do you do when you go away for 5 - 7 days, or 2 weeks? How are you sustaining a sanitized spa during that time? Do you guys really go out to your spa every day or 2 to add something to it?

Looking into my crystal ball (got it for Christmas ya know ;D), I expect to hear posts telling me that you are going to add larger amounts of chlorine prior to leaving on holidays, right? If that is the case, you are going to experience a certain level of gas off with this higher level giving those same concerns of a floater right? ???

I've always wondered about this but been too afraid to ask!  :-X ... ;) Yeh sure.... ;D

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Question for Dichlor users
« on: January 09, 2005, 01:06:17 pm »

nicker

Re: Question for Dichlor users
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 01:27:41 pm »
I started out adding it after every use.... not every day.  But I also found that my test results were high when doing this so I figured one of two things, I was either adding too much (and I think I was about 1 1/2 tbs) or I was adding it too often.  So I then made sure I was only adding 1 tbs and I started to add it every other use.   In doing this my levels stayed great.   Now if I had a bunch of people in it one day I would then for sure add a tbs after use.  I have not had to worry about going away for a week yet.  But I have gone for 3 days and before I left I added 1 tbs and when I came home and tested it was getting low.  I think if no one uses the tub the sanatizer seems to last longer as it doesn't have anything to battle (thats my thought anyway).

But I do wonder if I had to go for a week or so what to do.  I guess I would add 1 - 2 tbs and go from there.  I am not sure how bad the off gases would be on the cover ????  A good guestion.    But really what else can you do.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 02:08:22 pm »
Steve,
We left for a week over the holidays and invited friends that have no tub but enjoy ours to visit and sanitize for us.  They came over to soak periodically during that time and added Cl after soaking.  When I got back, I found zero chlorine in the tub and it was slightly green.  I added 4 tsp. and 3-4 hours later.....voila......blue/clear and clean.  I'll ask them to add a little more next time.  BTW, they did a great job with the cats and mail as well!   Otherwise, I would approach it as you suggested and do a thorough filter clean and add about 4-5 tbsp. of dichlor just before leaving.  Obviously, the ozone and mineral filters help as well.  On the other hand, I think if I were to have a tub at a rental property, I would seriously consider bromine.8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

steve771

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:24:47 pm »
Good question Steve, I wondered that as well, as I do the dichlor routine after soaking.  I have ozone and only add 1 tsp (not tblsp) per day (the tub is right outside my patio door, so it really isn't a hassle to do).   Back to the question...  I would probably go with the increased level of dichlor if I was going away and let it run open for a bit before I left.  I guess I figure that for as often as I leave home for a week, the cover could take the hit.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 04:39:53 pm »
Most of the experience I will comment about based on chlorine is with my Marquis.

Many people claim that they don't see a huge benefit to having an ozonator and/or a mineral cartridge but I have experimented quite a bit with it and find that on the Marquis system the combination of the three works very well.

If you kill the bacteria introduced by bathers with the chlorine, the mineral cartridge and ozone can keep up with the regular water sanitation on it's own. This means that I have found without anyone getting into the spa the water stays clean with just those two items.

Now I credit much of this to the "Constant Clean" system and how the mixing chamber plays into this.

I have also tried this on the D1 spas and found that I only needed to add chlorine when bacteria is introduced through bather waste and the Ozone and mineral cartridge is sufficient to take care of non-contaminated water with proper filtration....

In my tests if I didn't hit the spa with a good dose of chlorine before letting system stand alone, I had a problem with the water staying clean even on an initial fill. Once the water was treated, balance and  sanitized properly we have gone over a month without chlorine as long as the spa was not used.

I’m not a fan of a floater with bromine tablets because there are way to many variables to make it a constant without overdoing it at times. The Frog system makes this easier…

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 04:40:54 pm »
I left my tub for about 14 days in October.  I dosed with a TABLESP00N of Dichlor, turned the temp down to 80 (but the insulation worked so well, it didn't get below 98) and left it!

I checked my levels when I got back and there was still a residual (I can't remember exactly how much) of chlorine still in the water.  (I should add that I have ozone.)

I turned up the heat and hopped in a few hours later, after I had unpacked, then I dosed again, as for a shock!  

I have never used Bromine.  I would think the gassing issue for the small time period would be the difference, Steve.  The floater is in all the time, therefore, gassing happens all the time.  With a heavy dose of chlorine, the gassing happens for the time period (for me, 14 days).  I then went back to my regular dosing of 1 TEASP00N of dichlor after each use!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 04:52:06 pm »
I should add that I have no doubt that you would have an "off gas" issue with anything you use.... ;) ;D ;D ;D

TCMarvin

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 04:54:16 pm »
Personally, I'm not convinced but my question is, for the people that add small amounts of dichlor daily (still can't get my head around that ;) ) what do you do when you go away for 5 - 7 days, or 2 weeks? How are you sustaining a sanitized spa during that time? Do you guys really go out to your spa every day or 2 to add something to it?

I use Eco One and have gone 5 weeks without adding any dichlor to my spa (while on vacation) and my water did not crash. My Neighbor also uses Eco One and he left his spa for 7 months while he was recovering from surgery and it did not crash. The manufacturer states that you can go 3-5 months with nothing being added as long as your spa is covered, but this is obviously an understatement after seeing what my neighbor did.

I dosed the spa with dichlor before i got back in it, per the manufacturers instructions.

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 03:13:27 am »
Does eco one come with penicillian shots and medical aides so when you've gone that long without dichlor you can treat yourself for the multiple skin conditions you are going to get? Sounds like a sespool of human body fluids and floating gunk to me. Glad you enjoy it.

Pooldevil

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 10:23:43 am »
Hi Guys
I am here to stick up for the EcoOne system ... it works great and we have helped a lot of people here in the UK that have a low tollerence to chlorine or bromine.
With EcoOne you can use your tub virtually chemical free by adding just a small amount of diclor after use and then when you return to your tub next day , that diclor has gone and you have  crystal clear , clean water with no chemical content.
This works great for most family use and if you are having a party ...
just add a little diclor to get a test of 1ppm. ;)
Easy !

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
Yes, but the question was about using Dichlor, not Eco One.  Why did this become a discussion about Eco One?

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 11:18:21 am »
Here in Calgary, it's been -20C for the past few days, so hot tub usage has been minimal.  

To give you my "chemical" history, my dealer suggested using Bromine,and I had a ton of problems getting the sanitizer level up.  I went through 2 large containers of Bromine granular, and then bought the pucks and a floater all in the hopes of getting a better sanitizer level.  NO DICE.  

I switched to Chlorine (Dichlor for you Americans) and even with our cold snap and not sanitizing for a few days, my water was crystal clear.  I easily would have had green water with Bromine (as I experienced upwards of 10 times).  

I'm glad I followed Chas' and others advice to switch to Dichlor.  

It's cheaper and easier to use, plus it seems to keep the levels up longer, so going away will be a snap.

Mark

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 11:19:53 am »
I also have left my tub for over two weeks.  I shocked with dichlor (10ppm) and dropped the temp to 85 and came home to crystal clear water.  I also use Nature2/Frog and ozone.

salesdvl

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 11:25:58 am »
What was the original question again?   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 11:27:25 am »
I like the idea of using DiChlor in conjunction with ozone. I can actually go away for a week or two without coming home to a problem with my spa water. Because of the CD ozonator which is in my Optima, this is what is babysitting the water providing there is no bather load.
DiChlor is a clean, effective way to kill off any organics in the water.
I used to be a bromine user, too many issues with too much chemical, too much odor, not very controllable. I didn't like the fact that I smelled like the chemical when I got out. I did find that using the DiChol once maybe every three days AFTER I was finished using the spa, the water stayed crisp and clean, no odors.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:28:40 am by hottubber »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 11:27:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42