What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: garden hose pre-filter..all the same?  (Read 3940 times)

vanbar6

garden hose pre-filter..all the same?
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:39:50 pm »
Before my first water change (soon), I'd like to get a pre-filter for my garden hose.  Is there a certain type or brand that works better than the others?  I'd prefer something high quality if there is such an animal.

Thanks,
Barb

Hot Tub Forum

garden hose pre-filter..all the same?
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:39:50 pm »

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
Re: garden hose pre-filter..all the same?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:50:08 pm »
vanbar6,...I have been hottubbing for about 25 years. I have never had the need to use a pre-filter on my spa or even my teak wood hot tub. I don't see why now anyone needs one. Maybe a sales ploy???

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:59:23 pm »
Those that use well water may benefit the most from the filter.  I'm sure it would help with many unwanted elements should any be present.  Most municipal water system users probably don't need one.  As for brand, I'm not familiar with any that stand above the crowd.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

vanbar6

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 03:12:36 pm »
I do have well water.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 06:30:02 pm »
I do have well water.

You may want to try one then.  Obviously, spa retailers carry them but you might want to look at RV dealers as well.  One suggestion I've read is to pre-rinse the filter before filling your tub so that any charcoal dust does not enter your tub....sounded like a good idea to me.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:56:07 am »
Anyone use those filter cannisters with a replacable cartridge that are installed in water supply lines inside the home?  
Several of my brewing buddies use these by threading on hose adapters.  Mostly they use an activated charcoal filter to remove chlorine in city water, but some install a sediment filter.
They are not very costly, maybe $30 for a single filter unit.  Since they are made for a main water supply, water flow from the fill hose should not be reduced, and the cartridges should last along time if only a couple thousand gallons of water per year are being pushed thru.  I don't think the replacement cartridges are very expensive, either.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:56:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42