What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Metals and Spa Water  (Read 1990 times)

Max78

Metals and Spa Water
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:01:35 pm »
Just filled my spa last night and took a sample of water to the spa store (not where I purchased it since it is 90 miles away).  I have fought water with a greenish tint for some time and wanted to compare my numbers I was getting with theirs.  Plus it was time to change the water.  My shell is white with grey and tan flecks (Sahara).  When my tub is freshly filled (no chems added) my water is a very nice shade of blue.  I've been using a Taylor Test kit that I've had for a couple of years that I store in the house and also use on my pool.  I'm not sure of the shelf life of the reagents so I wanted to verify my results.  This is before any chemicals have been added.
              Mine        Theirs
PH           7.6           7.5
Chlor       0.5           0.0
Calcium    200         233
Akalinity   170         163
TDS(I have no test)  50
So I'm happy with the numbers especially for a fresh fill.  Alkalinity might be a little high but I'll wait and see what it is going to do.  

They also tested for metals and this was their results (I don't have anything to test metals with):
Copper                      0
Iron                           0

I check my water daily and add dichlor to keep levels up to at least 3 ppm (usually add 1 TBSP. daily), hose filters weekly, add dichlor after use, check ph and alkalinity and make adjustments when necessary, add Spa Defender and GLB Enzyme (alternate weeks on them), shock with 3 TBSP. dichlor weekly, change water after 3 months.  I did add a bottle of Metal Gon (to sequester metals) with my previous fill up and wonder if I even needed it or if it perhaps gave me problems-possibly giving my water the greenish tint.  I only added it because it was with the start up chemicals my dealer gave me and he told me to use it.  He did not test my water.  I don't think I will add it this time.  Is there any reason that I should?

Hot Tub Forum

Metals and Spa Water
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:01:35 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Metals and Spa Water
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 05:14:04 pm »
Unless your water comes from a well which may contain other metals besides the copper and iron which, according to your dealer's test, do not exist, I wouldn't use the Metal Gon.  If your water comes from a municipal water supply, there's a good chance that you'll never need to use it.  K.I.S.S. and don't introduce anything that isn't necessary. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:16:59 pm »
WSD

Do you use metal gon with the Eco Pur.  I always wondered if the metal gon would react with Eco Pur and Nature 2.  Any feed back on this?
¿

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:37:31 am »
WSD

Do you use metal gon with the Eco Pur.  I always wondered if the metal gon would react with Eco Pur and Nature 2.  Any feed back on this?

huh?,
Fortunately my municipal water is just about perfect out of the tap so I've never messed with the Metal Gon stuff.  I can see how it would be a great help with well water, though.  If I had to use it, I might remove the mineral filters while the Metal Gon was 'doing its thing' since the new standpipe setup would allow the micro filters to be used without the mineral filters.  And because of the standpipe setup, I've also thought about replacing the mineral filters with an N2 cartridge altered to fit the space but since I've got 1+ years worth of mineral filters on hand, I'll pass on that for a while..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:37:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42