What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dam ICE!  (Read 4315 times)

nicker

dam ICE!
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:24:22 pm »
I was looking to go for a nice soak tonight as it is lightly snowing but I have about a 1/2 of ice firmly attached to my cover!  I was *&#@&^@ mad.

Anyway is there an easy way to get this off ???

I flipped my one side over (its pretty heavy) thinking that the ice would fall onto the other side of the cover and I would push it off and do the same with the other but NOPE it held on.   So I closed my cover and came back in :(

Hot Tub Forum

dam ICE!
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:24:22 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: dam ICE!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 12:02:45 am »
Move to a warmer climate?
;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 05:54:36 am »
Flip your cover over on your tub. Bring it inside the house. Move to a warmer climate. Mine has sunshine on it so the ice never lasts long, I use a plastic shovel to carefully move the snow and junk off right away when it happens.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 08:33:18 am »
There is a product that you dispense from one of those spray bottles that is supposed to dissolve ice very quickly.  It's not supposed to be harmful to concrete, asphalt, plants, lawn, ect.  
I saw it advertised on TV.  Don't recall the product name or the website.  
Might be a good thing to have around for future ice storms.  
Brewman
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:17:24 am »
I have a broom next to my tub. I live in the Ottawa, Ontario area and can tell you that we have  had our fair share of freexing rain recently. Snowed here last night though so we are now white.

I take my broom and with the cover shut and locked down I tap on the the ice to break it up. I spoke to my dealer before doing this and he indicated that this worked well for him and was what he recommended to his clients.  If it is not breaking appart with taps, then I would say bring it inside and let it melt off. It Should<nt take too too long to at least melt sufficiently to be able to the tap off of the cover. Just remeber that as long as the cover is off your tub is exposed so you are losing heat and that ice is water and when melting returns to water so where you do this in your house means that you need to pick up or control the water. or ice.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:30:13 am »
I covered my tub with a tarp before our snow/ice storm of the last couple of days.  Came off pretty easily last night.  the ice was stuck to the tarp.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 10:14:52 am »
Move to a warmer climate?
 ;)

That will cost you 100 posts.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 11:30:36 am »
I would drill a couple of holes through the cover, maybe one ever 2 feet or so.  This will allow heat to rise up out of the cover and prevent/slow the accumulation of ice on the thing.  In fact, I will patent this invention, call it the heat equilibriumator, and found a company around it.  Look for them to solve your icing needs in late 2006.

Barring that, what is wrong with getting into the tub with half the cover on?  My wife has done that a few times when she didn't feel like taking the whole thing off.  The underside just becomes a handy rest for your drink! 8)

-Ed

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 11:51:41 am »
Buy one of those table top propane heaters and put it on the cover and run it for an hour.  I'm sure the ice will be gone by then!   ;)

I have the bigger taller propane patio heaters and I put it next to the spa to melt ice that is on my deck, works well.

Jonathan
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 11:52:38 am by newtotubbing »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: ICE!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 12:06:38 pm »
I have the bigger taller propane patio heaters and I put it next to the spa to melt ice that is on my deck, works well.
So what do you do when the HEATER gets frozen?

Wait - don't tell me. You stick it in the tub to thaw out....

Am I right?

;)

Do any of you ice-cube folks put spas into things like this:

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 12:24:24 pm »
My thinking is you might as well put in one of these if you're gonna do that...

Sure it's covered but if you're not going to have the stars to gaze at, you might as well put it in your garage.

Steve

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 12:27:15 pm by Steve »

wetone

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 12:24:27 pm »
So what do you do when the HEATER gets frozen?

Wait - don't tell me. You stick it in the tub to thaw out....

Am I right?

;)

Do any of you ice-cube folks put spas into things like this:

O.K. chas, how much and how soon can we get one?. My wife would love it, that's the first maintanance free enclosure I have seen.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 02:33:19 pm »

O.K. chas, how much and how soon can we get one?. My wife would love it, that's the first maintanance free enclosure I have seen.

Available through your local HotSpring dealer.

;)

wetone

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 05:15:18 pm »
Available through your local HotSpring dealer.

;)

Ah.. ha.. that's why I have not seen it before ;D  I can see walking into the pioneer pools store asking Glen the sales rep. to sell me the enclosure for my D1 tub :o we just happen to be competitors  ;D oh well I'll just have to wait and see if D1 comes out with a new improved version ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 06:31:48 pm »
Ah.. ha.. that's why I have not seen it before ;D  I can see walking into the pioneer pools store asking Glen the sales rep. to sell me the enclosure for my D1 tub :o we just happen to be competitors  ;D oh well I'll just have to wait and see if D1 comes out with a new improved version ;)

LOL

Or, you could buy it from a friendly SoCal HotSpring dealer who would never tell......

I would drop-ship it and let you have the joy of assembling it yourself.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 06:31:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42