What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Envoy has low speed motor buzz  (Read 2478 times)

flajoker

• Hot Springs...Envoy
New Envoy has low speed motor buzz
« on: January 07, 2005, 01:56:25 pm »
Finished filling the spa after electrician left.
Turned on the pumps to test.
Two stage pump has notieable hum or buzz at low speed.
Do these motors end any kind of break in period.
The spa in the showroom seemed to have less noise and no hum.
The one in store is on concrete and mine is sitting on a wood deck. Could that make a difference? But is also outside compared to the showroom inside.

Hot Tub Forum

New Envoy has low speed motor buzz
« on: January 07, 2005, 01:56:25 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: New Envoy has low speed motor buzz
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 02:08:36 pm »
No breakin. But they will sometimes trap a certain amount of air that can take a day or two to work out - although this is rare and generally doesn't "hum."

There may be something sitting against the pump or motor which can be moved: ozone system, tubing, power cord or similar.

If none of these things help, the dealer can replace the motor: what I mean is that the Watkins Warranty does in fact cover a noisy component.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JPKeirstead

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 02:09:32 pm »
Are you getting good water flow through the jets?  Pumps will hum quite loud if they are airlocked or the start capacitor has failed.  

If the spa seems to be operating properly, I would say that you are hearing more noise because it is on a deck.  If that is the case, in the spring you could drain the spa, and place some sound deadening material under the spa.  Something like Styrofoam SM would help reduce the motor noise.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 02:11:12 pm »
The boards of a wood deck often act like tuning forks. Make sure the pump is mounted tightly to its base. Sometimes the door is what is vibrating so check that too!

Steve

flajoker

• Hot Springs...Envoy
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 03:26:21 pm »
update... my salesman came out to go over everything and brought me more chemicals to boot. Things are looking up :)
He is also going to have service tech. come by next week to check everything out. In his opinion it shouldn't be doing that.
There is also a little vibration on top of tub above the motors...my guess it is touching something to make it vibrate.
I will be tubbin tonight.
Thanks to all who have answered my questions.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 03:47:27 pm »
You may just want to go back to your dealers showroom and listen to the motor, the hum may be there too, you just did'nt hear it when you visited.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 03:47:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42