What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Needs Help (long)  (Read 2841 times)

Indy_Phil

Newbie Needs Help (long)
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:54:17 pm »
After lurking on this board for 3 months, I purchased a Vanguard in late November, 2004.  Thanks to all for the excellent information on choosing a spa.

My problem:  I refilled the tub last Saturday (Jan. 1) and tonight (January 6) when I went to check water quality there was a thin oily film on the surface of the water.  The film covered approximately one-quarter of the tub.  No one has used the tub since the refill.   Based upon the information below, do I have "biofilm" or mold in my water?  I do not have white flakes like others have described.

Also, I did not have any problems with water quality or chemistry during my first 30 days and I rinsed my filters on a weekly basis.  

The only time I know the tub chemistry was completely off was during an 8 hour period immediately before I drained it.  Knowing that we would have numerous guests in  the tub on New Year's Eve, I decided to wait until after the party for the "30-day drain/refill."   In hindsight, this was a good idea because by 3:30 in the morning there were 8 people crammed into the tub, 2 of whom began spraying  at least 3-4 bottles of champagne at the others.  My best guess it that the contents of 2 bottles of champagne ended up in the tub.

When everyone got out of the tub, I ran the clean cycle, but did not add chlorine because I did not want to kill the lawn the next morning when the tub was drained.

Is it possible that the combination of overcrowding the tub, spilling champagne, lack of chlorine and the resulting bad water sitting in the tub for 8 hours could result in mold?

Since the refill on January 1, the pH, Alk, and Chlorine have tested fine.  Tonight I shocked the tub and cleaned the filters.  During the past 2 hours, the film has not reappeared.  

What else should I do?  Any advice, comments, etc. is appreciated because I feel like  I ruined my new tub.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Needs Help (long)
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:54:17 pm »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Newbie Needs Help (long)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:47:26 pm »
I wouldn't sweat it.  The film is gone and the water is clear?    Not sure if the champagne was a good idea though.  Just check the levels and enjoy it.

You didn't ruin your spa, if you think alcohol is going to ruin a spa then most of the spas on this planet would be ruined!!!!! ;)

Jonathan

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 10:33:47 am »
 Use one of those Sponge-bob floating thingies. It is made to absorb oils.A minor slick like you describe is just floating oil and should be absorbed shortly....bobhol

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 11:53:57 am »
Have you used an anti foam of sorts? This product will tend to leave a residue on the surface much like what you have described.

Steve

Indy_Phil

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 12:40:11 pm »
Steve-- I have not used an anti-foam, but when the tub was empty I used a spray emulsifier to clean the residue left in the tub at the waterline. (I think the residue was caused by too many people in the tub, many with makeup, perfume, etc. )

I am certain that some of the emulsifier stayed in the tub, but the label indicates the product is biodegradable.  Could this cause the oily film?   By the way, the film was gone this morning, but as I tried to describe above, it did not appear until several days after I drained/refilled.

Indy_Phil

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 12:42:16 pm »
After reading my response, is an emulsifier the equivalent of anti-foam?

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 12:47:53 pm »
I had a similar issue when I first got my tub.  Their was a little oily film on the top (with little white bubbles).  Dealer told me to superchlorinate (in case it was mold).  It was still there.  I then use the scum gone product.  This did not solve the problem.

I finally used Bright and Clear (clarifier).  This cleared up the problem.  I am thinking that there might be some particles that are just too small for the filter to catch.  This product adheres to the smaller particles, forming larger particles, that the filter can catch (as well as the sides of your spa in the form of a scum line).  It seems that when I use the MPS for shock, that this phenomena has happened (as well as lowering my alk and pH).

I hope this might help.

Jeff

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 12:57:38 pm »
With a 120 sq ft of filters and no by-pass, that seems unusual. ???

Most likely a water care problem. Next time you drain and refill, I suggest a product called Swirl Away.

Steve

JPKeirstead

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 01:44:07 pm »
I agree with bobhol and wrobo.  Either one of their suggestions will work, as long as you keep on top of your sanitizer level until it clears up.  You probably have a large amount of bacteria floating around that would have stayed in the plumbing after your wild new years bash ;D  

I personally prefer to use clairfier, because I am not a fan of floaty things in my spa.  I always use an old 2 litre pop bottle and shake up the clarifier in that with some water first.  It tends to break the clarifier up so it works a little better and doesn't just get filtered out immediately.

Remember to add sanitizer after large bather loads.  That will also reduce future problems. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 01:44:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42