What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: best warranty  (Read 11938 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: best warranty
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 09:04:36 pm »

Now I have a rant - WHY DO PEOPLE PICK ON HYUNDAI

The reason for the Hyundai and Kia 10 year warranties (Kia is owned by Hyundai) is to prove that they're not the POS's they were from the 80's. It was a strategic move on their part to build confidence in their cars. Apparently the strategy is working - they are selling a lot more cars and JD Powers has them (Hyundai) at a high level of customer satisfaction.  Here's another fact - they cost $1,000's less than the competition. Compare it to a Honda or Toyota and you'll be surprised how nice it is. Compare it to a MB and I could buy 2 new ones for the price of 1 MB. And they will both get you from point A to B.

Vinny the reason  Hyundai....went to the longer warranty was it was the only way they could sell there cars....The perception was so low they had to do something to give confidence that their product was good and had turned a corner to step up in quality but with out the longer warranty they would have not made it....They have made great strides in turning things around for themselfs....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 09:04:36 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 10:43:09 pm »
Mendo,

I agree with you 100% -  People do feel better with a longer warranty. They really are a decent car for the money and YES having that long warranty definitely swayed my thinking.

Actually I've read that Hyundai is going to be doing away with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty in I think 2007.

But why quarrel over the best or longest warranty in the hot tub world, remember that all the tubs are inferior to JA's H**** spas, even an Arctic spa - He'll tell anyone that! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR

JPKeirstead

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 10:12:58 am »
Well, let's look at that warranty. Oops! We can't, because Arctic doesn't put it on the web site!!

Chas, you seem hostile.  What gives?

Firstly, our warranty is on our website.  It is under Our Spas>Warranty.  We can make the whole thing available, but this pretty much sums it up.  You can ask any dealer or customer of Arctic, there isn't much outside of abuse or neglect that we don't cover.

This means that the invisible part of the spa: the fiberglass backing, is guaranteed not to leak. "Lifetime" is usually equal to seven years in a court of law. The surface - the part most likely to have a problem, and the part that would be most noticable - only has a 5 year warranty. HotSpring, (and also Tiger River) has seven.

For you lifetime might mean 7 years, for us it means, "as long as you own your spa".  Seems simple enough to me.

OK. But what about: Pumps? Motors? Valves? Lights? Led (if available)? Air controls? Other parts? Hmm. Sounds like they are offereing to let you send in the pack for replacement. Very nice, but not quite 'world class.' Sorry, but I'm still not real impressed.

Where exactly do you get that?  Our warranty says that it includes parts and labour.  I think it is pretty clear that a service technician will fix your spa.

So, what I'm reading here is that most of their spas only get half the warranty. Does that tell us something? They think you should pay more for the real coverage? HotSpring puts it's best warranty of all their tubs: they believe every single tub they make is that good.

No, what your reading is that if someone wants to spend the extra money on a Legend SE, we will warranty it for an additional 5 years.  It's an extended warranty.

With all do respect Chas, is it really necessary to bash the warranty of your competition?  We take very good care of our customers.  I would confidently say that we, as a manufacturer, will go to lengths not often seen in our industry to ensure that customer problems are solved to their satisfaction.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 10:16:58 am by JPKeirstead »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 11:20:17 am »
A couple observations;

First off, Chas is right about the legal aspect of any warranty surpassing 7 years in a court of law. I would like to point out that it is possible to have a warranty that surpasses 7 years. The 7 years only comes into play when there's a legal conflict.

Secondly, I always find it interesting when a company has a warranty that is longer than the time they have been in business. ::)

One question I do have for you JP...Does watercare (or the lack thereof) effect the warranty in any way?

Steve
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:22:36 am by Steve »

JPKeirstead

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 12:25:46 pm »
A couple observations;

First off, Chas is right about the legal aspect of any warranty surpassing 7 years in a court of law. I would like to point out that it is possible to have a warranty that surpasses 7 years. The 7 years only comes into play when there's a legal conflict.

I wouldn't know.  I am not a lawyer.  I do know that if the shell failed we would replace the spa.  No questions asked.

Secondly, I always find it interesting when a company has a warranty that is longer than the time they have been in business. ::)

We have been in business for just over 10 years.

One question I do have for you JP...Does watercare (or the lack thereof) effect the warranty in any way?

Steve

Watercare can affect the warranty.  Two of the most common components to be affected by water chemistry are jets and the heater, both of which we replace for the term of the warranty regardless of water chemistry.

James

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 01:36:55 am »
Chas, you seem hostile.  What gives?
Sorry, I got a little too 'into' the feel of the thread, and my usual wit turned a bit acidic.  :-[ I have no axe to grind with Arctic.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 11:20:08 am »
I'm gona start something here I think, but what value does a "lifetime" shell warranty have? How many shells ever leak? JP, this is no comment on Artic, just lifetime shell warranties.

I would equate a lifetime shell warranty to say a lifetime frame warranty on a car (if such a thing existed). If GM warranted its frame for life, what would that do for me considering that I will replace the following before my life or the cars life is done:

Transmission, suspension, tires, brakes, muffler, battery etc etc or even the car itself.

Back to spas. Before a fiberglass shell will crack/leak, the spa owner will replace (outside of warranty): Pump(s), heater, all jets (1-3 times), cover (possibly 4 times or more), diverter valve(s), fuses, possibly the spapak board and lastly, the tub entirely.

My feeling is that the spa will most likely be replaced before this is ever a concern.

My 2.4 cents

HTM
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 12:40:11 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 12:35:18 pm »
Good point, HTM.  Suppose they warranty shells as long as they do for that very reason.  They aren't as prone to failure as a mechanical component.
Brewman
Brewman

JPKeirstead

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 12:38:17 pm »
Sorry, I got a little too 'into' the feel of the thread, and my usual wit turned a bit acidic.  :-[ I have no axe to grind with Arctic.

;)

No Worries Chas.  All smiles here.  
;D

JPKeirstead

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 12:44:38 pm »
Good point, HTM.  Suppose they warranty shells as long as they do for that very reason.  They aren't as prone to failure as a mechanical component.
Brewman

You got me!
;)

We can warranty a shell for that long, because we simply don't get shell problems.   :)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 12:55:25 pm »

You got me!
 ;)

We can warranty a shell for that long, because we simply don't get shell problems.   :)

I think you would find that there are few manufacturers that do have issues with their fiberglass shells. The only time a fiberglass boat leaks is if it hits a rock or land, and even then it might not leak.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 01:24:59 pm »
Brewman

I think it is something whose absence is concerning more than its presence is assuring.

If the tub steps don't have correct support under them, or the framing isn't done right, then, maybe, you would have increased chances of a shell crack.  Many manufacturers avoid this by correct support and engineering.  Failing that, you could also just make the shell super thick.

Any company which doesn't offer such a warranty would make me wonder why something as simple as not cracking your "hull" isn't high on the priority list.

In warranty speak "7 years == lifetime guarantee." and it is silly to say you need to be a lawyer to understand that.  But having said that, warranties are the minimum of service, as provided by law.  Good manufacturers have many stories of going above and beyond the warranty in the service of their tubs and in the fixing of defective parts.

-Ed

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 03:34:34 pm »
Ya Know,

This entire "lifetime" issue would be resolved if manufacturers simply said "...will be covered by this warantee for as long as the original purchaser owns the spa."

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2005, 04:13:48 pm »
I think anyone that sells a spa manufactured in California will agree, this issue is a bit of a pest. From what I understand, California law precludes a spa manufacturer from warranting a acrylic/(fiberglass, ABS etc) shell any longer than 7 years. There is no such law in Canada.

Some are impressed with the fact that a Canadian manufacturer offers Lifetime. Its just not something that they will ever have to honour.

Unfortunately some customers see the Californian made product in a lesser light because the same warranty is not offerred.

Chas, Poolboy, Chris....your thoughts?

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2005, 05:37:47 pm »
I think you would find that there are few manufacturers that do have issues with their fiberglass shells. The only time a fiberglass boat leaks is if it hits a rock or land, and even then it might not leak.

Many boats have problems with the fiberglass blistering.  The industry is not exactly sure why this occurs but it does happen, improper layup, improper resin/hardner ratios, poor mold preparation???

Water gets in between the gelcoat and the resin impregated fiberglass matting.  This then causes the gelcoat to blister.  The repair is to grind out the blisters and fill with an epoxy filler and then cover the entire bottom of the boat with 2-4 coats of epoxy resin.

I am not sure if some hot tubs use gel coat or not since mine is a HS spa, and it isn't made of fiberglass!  I know the Jacuzzi tub in my bathroom uses gelcoat!

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2005, 05:37:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42