What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical Code in So. Cal?  (Read 2465 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Electrical Code in So. Cal?
« on: January 02, 2005, 08:47:42 pm »
Chas or any other expert:  Where can I find the electrical code for a spa installation in Southern California?  Also, do most folks actually get a permit when they install their tub?  Most people I know don't get permits.  Can you get fined if you don't get a permit?

Thanks
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical Code in So. Cal?
« on: January 02, 2005, 08:47:42 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Electrical Code in So. Cal?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 01:41:23 pm »
Here's the book - go get it on Amazon.com. First though, I would scratch out a basic sketch of what you are doing, what's in your elecrical panel, what appliances your house has and what they draw in amps, and then go to the city you live in and ask for a permit. They will tell you if you need to submit other info, and they may be very helpful in giving you info on special things which inspectors in your area look for.

The manufacturer of your tub should have schematics and specs available to help you. Be sure to take this with you to the city: they will want to know if your tub is 'self contained,' and if it is listed with ETL or UL.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 01:43:08 pm »
As to being fined if you have no permit: I don't know. I have had many customers who have installed without a permit, and then had to go get the permit when they went to sell the house. They just had to go get the permit and then open up all panels and boxes to allow an inspector to verify the size of wire, depth of trenches for buried stuff, and so forth.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:34:43 pm »
If you pull the permit BEFORE the city catches you there's usually no problem as they don't really know it was previously installed. IF they bust you, many cities charge a multiple of what the original permit fees would have been. From what I"ve seen it can be from 2 to 5 times the original amount.

In California, with the real estate disclosure laws, you should be able to simply disclose to any potential buyer any "improvements" that were done without a permit and be off the hook for any responsibility (of course they may require a permit be pulled as part of their offer... in which case see my first paragraph, or listen to Chas  ;D  )

I should note though, that there's a city near me where whenever someone puts a home up for sale there's a mandatory inspection done by the city prior to listing it. They tend to catch a LOT of work that was done without a permit..... what some municipalities will go to raise money  :(
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:34:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42