What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: how to disinfect  (Read 4013 times)

rick

how to disinfect
« on: December 30, 2004, 02:54:41 pm »
I've been having a nasty rash problem of late.  
I only get it on my legs and arms, and they are quite itchy.  
I decided to drain the spa and refill, but it didn't seem to help much.
Can somebody please post some disinfecting procedures again?  I seem to recall it being posted before but can't find it.  Something to due with bleach I think.  
Probably serves me right for not testing my water.  I have always just eyeballed things, and even though water is crystal clear, there must be some nasty bacteria going on.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

how to disinfect
« on: December 30, 2004, 02:54:41 pm »

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
Re: how to disinfect
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 03:47:11 pm »
Hey Rick take a look at thread "Need Help with Nature 2 By Kat on Dec 21st and "I Just cant belive it" by Ellie on Nov 29th. I think you will find what your looking for good luck.  :)

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:45:00 pm »
Rick,
You may need to see a Dr. and get a perscription to get rid of that rash.  Remember what you don't see can really hurt you, or make you itch.

Spahappy :D

rick

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 04:56:03 pm »
thanks for the info dalop.  

Man, it's got to the point where I just haven't gone in in almost a week now, just so I can let this rash clear up. I haven't gone to a doc yet as I still have a bottle of Lotrisone that I had from something else, and it seems to rapidly cure the rash.  

I've also had a cold that lasted almost two weeks, during this rash.  I wonder if it wasn't so much a cold as just getting sick from spa bacteria.  

Anybody care to shed some info on the  common  bacteria infections that spas get and the ailments they can cause in humans?  

I was also reading Elle's comments about how her friends and neighbors never had sanitation or water clarity problems as they were just simply adding dichlor every few days.
I used to do the same thing with my old spa and everything seemed to work fine.  

Now with this new spa, I'm throwing in dichlor every use, shocking once a week, clarifier, stain/scale control, etc., etc.   But I've never tested  either.
Might  I have gone lax on my daily doses of  97% dichlor?  I have been just throwing in maybe a tablespoon or 2 after most uses.   I'm pretty much the only one using it these days too.  15 minutes a day.

rick

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 04:58:23 pm »
tablesthingy?   what was I typing?  

tablespoon or 2.

rick

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 04:59:51 pm »
Argggh!!

what's the deal with this word anyways?

I give up.  Table + spoon  = tablespoon.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 05:19:08 pm »
Did you mean TABLESP00N?  LOL!!!!!! ;)

Jonathan

PS: I am ichy too so I am interested in what you are doing.  I am hoping it is just dry skin.  I have no humidifier in my house and my skin is dry when I get out of the spa.

rick

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 05:27:22 pm »
yeah,  tablespoon.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
tablespõõnRe: how to disinfect
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 05:45:28 pm »
yeah,  tablespoon.

no, its tablespõõn!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 06:37:06 pm »
no it's TABLESP00N!

Your version is in spanglish!!!! ;)

Jonathan

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 06:37:40 pm by newtotubbing »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 06:58:08 pm »
I know with my spelling capabilities I'm gonna botch this... There is a rash one can get that is very nasty it infects the hair follicle. It's called Hottub ficticulitus and will require special medicine and a break from tubbing.

You should go to the Doc first to determine if it's the hottub. If it is, super chlorinate or brominate the spa, run the jets on high for 20 to 30 minutes, drain and soak the filter in a solution of 1 part bleach to 5 parts water. Soak it for 20 to 30 minutes and rinse with clean water.

Without the proper treatment and waiting period you'll just keep aggravating the condition. :'(

Spahappy :D

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 07:32:47 pm »

By the way, I found out why this board will not let you post that terrible word:

Why?

Jonathan

rick

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 07:37:49 pm »
thanks for advice Spahappy.  But now I see that your instructions differ a bit from Chas's.
He has me putting in a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide after the superchlorinization to neutralize it.   Why do I care about neutralizing it if I'm just going to drain it anyways?  
Also, I read Stuart's suggestion of wiping down the shell and inside cover with a bleach and water solution after it's drained.  Is this necessary to?

I just called my dealer and he thinks that it is a pseudonoma bacteria and that my alkalinity or ph got out of whack.  

I'm still a bit confused.  I understand that the dichlor is what is going to kill the existing bacteria.  What is the purpose of the bleach then?  

mhraracing

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 07:44:47 pm »
Rick - check out my post "help with chemicals"

I just did the drain refill etc......

The poeple on this board are great and are very helpful.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 07:45:20 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 08:02:50 pm »
By the way, I found out why this board will not let you post that terrible word:

Why?

Jonathan

I suspect because the word SP00N can be considered naughty if you drop the first letter.  
If that's not why, then I give up.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 08:02:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42