What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scum?!  (Read 1877 times)

Montecas

Scum?!
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:32:04 pm »
Hey all, I have been lovin my vista for about 3 weeks now and I opened the cover one saturday morning to do my weekly maintance (shock, defender, bright and clear) and I noticed a line of scum from the water line to 1" above, so i cleaned the scum line and problem solved, for now. Then when the hot springs technician came to install the CD ozone and navigator, the water line was all brown. I don't get it the water is cristal clean and the levels are right but there is still the occasional line of scum. The only other place that i notice scum is on the heat return in the foot well. Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Scum?!
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:32:04 pm »

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
Re: Scum?!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 08:25:35 am »
We had the same problem with our tub.  Ended up draining (not just because of the scum) and refilling after 1 month (as Chas will surely tell you to do  ;D )  We also put in a Dirty Duck and have not had a problem since.   I do know that the one time I use the Brite and Clear it left a bad scum line in the tub.???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 09:35:14 am »
We had the same problem with our tub.  Ended up draining (not just because of the scum) and refilling after 1 month (as Chas will surely tell you to do  ;D )  We also put in a Dirty Duck and have not had a problem since.   I do know that the one time I use the Brite and Clear it left a bad scum line in the tub.???

My reputation preceeds me again.

Yes, I do tell our customers to drain and refill a new tub at about the one-month point. It helps with all sorts of things, in fact I push it even for folks who are not having any problems at all.

As to the mention of "Bright and Clear," the product did what it was designed to do. If you add B&C to just about any tub, it will bring out some amount of soaps and oils: that's what it is desinged to do. It will deposit those fun little items on the waterline just above the water, so you can wipe them away with a soft towel.  It will cause foaming if you overdo it. I usually only add it as needed.

As to the brown stain around the drain fitting: that's an iron reaction. The ozone is oxidizing iron out of the water and that's where it often shows up. You can add a product like "Metal Gon" by Liesure Time, or a similar product. The entire bottle of Metal Gon should be poured in after you do that water change.

Ironic note: I have a Vista Pearl with Coastal Gray siding, but it will be removed from my yard today, weather permitting. I have some folks interested in buying it, and I want to polish it up and put it on my showroom floor so they don't have to come to my house to see it in action.

I'm going to ask the guys to put one of the used tubs we have on hand in my yard so I don't have to go without a spa until the new one arrives.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 02:31:53 pm »
I would skip the weekly bright and clear and use it only when necessary.  Substitue with Scum Gon if you like, which is an enzyme product and will do a better job at keeping scum and foam at bay.

spaguyohio

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:38:29 pm »
I use B&C, and have found that if you add it to the filter area, and not the spa seating area, it does a much better job and you dont have that ring by-product.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:38:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42