What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: For Chas - and all  (Read 5591 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
For Chas - and all
« on: December 23, 2004, 02:18:43 pm »
We survived the Christmas storm of 2004. Columbus is frequently on the dividing line of winter storms. One side is rain, the other is snow and in the middle, freezing rain. We were on the border and the snow side most of the last 24 hours. We just got our internet back. We lost that and cable. But unlike others in our area, we had power for all but about 10 seconds.  We ended up with about 6" of snow followed by and inch of freezing rain, followed by another 4" of snow.  On the bright side I got out of work a day earlier!.   I spent much of the morning digging out 3 cars and taking one to the grocery store to get our Christmas dinner stuff.   Some of you know about scraping ice, but since it snowed first, then the freezing rain, then more snow, it was more like hammering the ice with the back of the snow brush and taking off 5-6 pound pieces at a time.

When we got back from groceries, I started to get to clearing the hot tub.  Last night before the  freezing rain I took the 6" of snow off the cover. But this morning there was the 1" of ice and the next 4" of snow. It took me about 30 minutest to get all the snow and ice off one side. The cover had to weigh an extra 200-400 pounds. I got one side open to reset the temp. With the power glitch it automatically goes to 95. It had dropped from 102 to 100 over 18 hours.  I turned it up to 104 for our next soak.  Another 30 minutes of clearing on the other side and here is how it looks now.

Then I noticed the scary part.  When we put in our tub, I cut down the silver maple tree in our yard.  Nasty bastards those things are.  However my neighbor didn't cut down her's and it is starting to grow into my yard. I noticed the ice brought down a big branch from her tree. I'm so glad mine is gone. However, here is the view of her tree from my tub.  

I wonder if her insurance will buy me a new tub?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 04:36:16 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

For Chas - and all
« on: December 23, 2004, 02:18:43 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: For Chas - and all
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 02:53:57 pm »
Hey I would love a close-up of the cover with the ice!

That tree is rather ominous!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 03:00:34 pm »
Hey I would love a close-up of the cover with the ice!

That tree is rather ominous!

I didn't think to get the camera till all the work was done.

No snow angels tonight, the ice would cut you to shreds!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:06:39 pm »
Yah, I don't think I want to picture what body parts would get stuck to the ice trying to do snow angels after getting out of the spa! ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 04:35:38 pm »
On the bright side, I have a new view of the southern horizon I didn't have before. Can't wait till the next meteor shower.  My neighbor will be removing branches from his roof for a while. Couldn't see if there was any damage.  If there is, I'll sit in the tub while they fix the roof  :P
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 05:42:50 pm by wmccall »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 05:29:37 pm »
Wow.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 06:37:43 pm »
Wow.

I think we were expecting more of an eww...ewww! But nevertheless anytime Bill can cause you to turn off the air-conditioning for a few moments with pictures he saves you money!
;D ;D ;D ;D

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 09:17:17 pm »
Oh Bill,

I'll say it for Chas, eeewwwww!!!

Aren't you glad to have the tub after all that work and errand running?

You won't be dreaming of a white Christmas!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 10:05:59 pm »
Long range forecast says 54 degrees for New Year's eve.  Only in Ohio.  Last year, I skied and played golf on the same day.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 11:13:25 pm »
Long range forecast says 54 degrees for New Year's eve.  Only in Ohio.  Last year, I skied and played golf on the same day.

It's been -11 here for a couple of days, as long as I have the hot tub I don't mind as much. I love the snow....!

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 03:22:34 pm »
Also in Columbus area (Gahanna). Also one of the few in the area that suffered no power loss. Had a large limb from the neighbors tree narrowly miss my hot tub, I am crediting divine intervention. Was in last night from 1a to 2a, the reduced ambient light from all the power outages made for a much prettier sky. If I can figure out how, I'll put a great pic of iced over trees up. Lots of folks without power though, took a call from a citizen that "just spent over 5 grand on a hot tub" and wanted to know when the power would be back on.  Local power company is hoping to get it back by 1800 hrs tomorrow.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 08:50:31 pm »
Had a great soak today Lt Dan, we are headed for a cold one tonight. Just got back from Easton, some power still out around there.  Today's soak required sun glasses. We had a bright clear day, white snow and all the ice on the trees was blinding.   Fortunately that branch hasn't fallen on my tub yet.

steve771

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 10:12:51 pm »
Whew, I just moved out of Ohio in time.  Was near the lake and in talking with friends, they got about 17 inches of snow.  Yuck!

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 10:20:02 pm »
Near the lake (Erie) is crazy. My mom lives up there, in Geneva.  Almost as crazy as going to Easton on Christmas Eve (you are nuts Wmmcall). I went to Reynoldsburg to get stocking stuffers for my kids at the Everythings A Dollar store by Wal Mart and everthing was still closed, no power. That makes almost 36 hours before Xmas eve that Walmart, Sams Club and a host of other big names have been shut down. Wonder what the dollar figure is on that!

A few more presents wrapped and I'll be tubbing.

Merry Xmas and thanks for the great info on this forum all.

steve771

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 11:12:47 pm »
You ain't kiddin' LtDan, although I was midway between Cleveland and Toledo, so most of the time weren't hit so hard.  Although that lake effect snow can still get nasty.  Don't miss it one bit!  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 11:12:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42