What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sanitizer vs Ozidizer question  (Read 12714 times)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Sanitizer vs Ozidizer question
« on: December 22, 2004, 08:59:24 pm »
Looking at my chem bottles today (home sick with the flu), I noticed that on the SpaGuard Enhanced Shock (orange cap) bottle it says:

"This product is not a sanitizer or algicide.  To sanitize your spa or for removal of algae,use the appropriate BioGuard product"  

My dealer has been telling me to use MPS before use and Enhanced Shock weekly.  I have been using the enhanced shock (dichlor) after I get out of the spa and MPS occasionally.  I have Nature2 and ozone.  I thought the enhanced shock was  a sanitizer?

Have I been doing this wrong for the past 2 months?

Don't you need to sanitize and then oxidize to get the cloramines out of the water?

So when should I be using the SpaGuard Chlorinating Concetrate?  This product says it is a sanitizer and oxidzer.  Do I use the chlorine when I get out of the spa or the enhanced shock?  Which to shock?

Confused again.  Shouldn't read the labels, life was better when I didn't know any better.

Jonathan

PS: My water is sparkling!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 10:02:43 pm by newtotubbing »

Hot Tub Forum

Sanitizer vs Ozidizer question
« on: December 22, 2004, 08:59:24 pm »

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sanitizer vs Ozidizer question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:52:53 pm »
Hi New,You know sometimes there’s a thin line between ignorance is bliss and reading too much about something can drive you nuts. My first post on this forum was an exasperated plea for some sort of bottom line on water maintenance. Theoretically my dealer should agree with your dealer but they don’t. I have the same configuration as you, ozonator and silver ion, but my dealer has me on a simpler regiment. I use chlorine concentrate on Sunday and Enhanced shock on Wednesday. I don’t put anything in after each use because my dealer said with the system I have I only need a .5 chlorine level. He told me that ozone is a natural oxidizer and enhanced shock has oxidizer in it too. I of course tweak the TA and PH as needed. It should also be mentioned that it’s just my wife and me using it (sometimes just me—either way sans suits), which may be different than the load you’re putting on your tub. My instinct tells me the minimalist approach I’ve been taking is better. A) My water is apparently clean and B) I think you’re more likely to make a soupy mess if you use too many chemicals. I’m curious what the experts here think of difference in advice you and I were given.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 07:57:04 am »
New,
I'm in my 4th month of the same system that you use.  All is well with my water

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 10:16:48 am »
Iggy, Newtotubbing;

You are both using silver/ionizer as a sanitizer.

If the results are good don't sweat it.

Chlorine and bromine can both be used as sanitizers and oxidizers, it depends on the ppm. Either sanitizer can an oxider once "breakpoint" level is acheived ie.12-15ppm.

Remember, if it ain't broke.........

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 10:33:39 am »
Iggy, Newtotubbing;

You are both using silver/ionizer as a sanitizer.

If the results are good don't sweat it.

Chlorine and bromine can both be used as sanitizers and oxidizers, it depends on the ppm. Either sanitizer can an oxider once "breakpoint" level is acheived ie.12-15ppm.

Remember, if it ain't broke.........

HTM

I even have this argument with my own management team! They think that because it says to add chlorine you should follow that strictly! Enhanced Shock DOES contain Chlorine! in addition to a clarifier!

How I do it is as simple as it gets, I get out of my tub and I throw about a TEASP00N of Enhanced shock in, that way I don't have a set day that I have to sanitize, I sanitize as I use the spa!

If you do this my guess is that you will find your water stays clean and your using less stuff. Remember, I make money to sell more chemicals however I will not tell anyone to add more things to their spa, I'm a huge proponent of less is better....

BTW, Shocking with regular MPS once a week while running the jets with the cover open is a good thing....It helps the tub "breath" and oxygenates the water thereby burning off organics...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 10:37:42 am by stuart »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 12:27:15 pm »
How I do it is as simple as it gets, I get out of my tub and I throw about a TEASP00N of Enhanced shock in, that way I don't have a set day that I have to sanitize, I sanitize as I use the spa!

If you do this my guess is that you will find your water stays clean and your using less stuff. Remember, I make money to sell more chemicals however I will not tell anyone to add more things to their spa, I'm a huge proponent of less is better....

BTW, Shocking with regular MPS once a week while running the jets with the cover open is a good thing....It helps the tub "breath" and oxygenates the water thereby burning off organics...

I hate when we agree but I'm with you 110% on this.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Stuart-RE: Your shocking advice
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 11:49:29 am »
Stuart, I appreciate you sharing your simple approach to water management. Now maybe you can help me with my wife...just kidding! Actually, I did have a couple of follow up questions.
1. You said you put in a teaspoon of Enhanced shock after each use. Do you just put it in the filter compartment close up and go inside or do you run the jets?
2. Would concentrated chlorine in lieu of MPS work as the once a week “breathing” treatment?
Thanks and have a great holiday.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 12:28:01 pm »
To answer your second question, yes you can oxidize with chlorine alone.

Many prefer MPS because it oxidizes faster and does not spike the cl levels.

Others prefer the chlorine for shocking because it does not affect water balance as much as MPS.

Hence the invention of enhanced shock whick contains chlorine, MPS, pH buffer so that your pH is unaffected and clarifier.

Hope this helps

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 01:09:23 pm »
Yes, but the answer to the first question is?
Thanks!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
Re: Stuart-Your shocking advice
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 01:39:15 pm »
Stuart, I appreciate you sharing your simple approach to water management. Now maybe you can help me with my wife...just kidding! Actually, I did have a couple of follow up questions.
1. You said you put in a teaspoon of Enhanced shock after each use. Do you just put it in the filter compartment close up and go inside or do you run the jets?
2. Would concentrated chlorine in lieu of MPS work as the once a week “breathing” treatment?
Thanks and have a great holiday.

1. I never said teaspoon, I never say teaspoon where anyone can here me! It would kill my image (TEASP00N)! ;) But yes, I'm of the old school of adding the chemicals right in the filter area. I do however just throw the shock in because it is in more of a powder form and never reaches the bottom of the spa. My concern is with granulated sanitizers that don't dissipate immediately and set on the spa shell.

2. Yes concentrated chlorine would work but you still have to add an oxidizer often enough to burn of the organics! Look at it this way; oxidizer in your spa is like fiber in your diet!

mhraracing

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 02:07:29 pm »
If I can piggyback this thread - My dealers directions tell me to after each use to put in -
3 tablespoons of SpaGuard Spa Shock
1 - talblespoon of SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate
This is for Day in - day out usage - then

2 tablespoons for Spagaurd Water Clearifier - weekly
and Stain and scale control bi-monthly.

This sound like a good plan ?? They gave me a water analysis by Alex.

D
Caldera Geneva Utopia

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 02:18:39 pm »
Adding that much chlorine/use may or may not be too much.

I think the answer depends on the number of bathers and the amount of time spent in the tub.

Presuming that you are not using an ionizer, I would recommend the following:

1/2 TEASP00N of chlorine or spa shock/person/20 minutes and another TEASP00N upon exit.

Thats what I would recommend, many will have their own variation.

Bottom line, each bather (150-170 lbs) will use 1ppm of sanitizer per 15 minutes.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 02:42:54 pm »
Adding that much chlorine/use may or may not be too much.

I think the answer depends on the number of bathers and the amount of time spent in the tub.

Presuming that you are not using an ionizer, I would recommend the following:

1/2 TEASP00N of chlorine or spa shock/person/20 minutes and another TEASP00N upon exit.

Thats what I would recommend, many will have their own variation.

Bottom line, each bather (150-170 lbs) will use 1ppm of sanitizer per 15 minutes.

I agree! I would however not go over the amount needed for 4 people according to that formula!

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 02:56:21 pm »
Thanks for your response Stuart. You know what's weird though? I DID write teaspoon (not teasponthingy). I know it because I wrote it elsewhere and pasted it into this box. Perhaps the forum is haunted! ???

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 03:02:37 pm »
OK, it did it again. I guess this forum is hard wired to change the word T******N to teasthingy (sic) though I have no idea why. For what's it's worth I did use the technical term!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 03:02:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42