What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Santa Claus  (Read 4300 times)

Russ

Santa Claus
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:36:57 am »
Santa is coming to my house today at NOON!
WITH MY NEW TUB!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Russ thinks I'm nuts, I couldn't sleep last night..part excitement/part worry.

questions... filling the tub, Anyone use the RV water filter and did it slow the flow down much? I'm on a well and I'm bypassing the softener.

Any tips on avoiding vacuum lock on the pumps?

btw..I'm excited

Hot Tub Forum

Santa Claus
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:36:57 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Santa Claus
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 08:22:26 am »
Way to go, Russ!  
May the goddess of Spatopia bless you with crystal water......
It REALLY pays to believe in Santa!
BTW, use at least 2 hoses to fill your spa and place one hose in the filter compartment to help alleviate lock.
Enjoy! 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:37:52 am »
Couldn't tell you about the RV filter: yes it will slow down the filling process, but I don't know if it would be a good idea or not. Do you know the hardness level of your water? If you get time before the tub shows up, run a sample in to the dealer and ask them to test for hardness. If your well water is extremely hard you might consider stopping the fill a couple of inches below "full" and engaging the softner for the final fill.

What make and model did you select: the folks who know all about that kind will help be sure you don't get airlock, but generally if you fill through the filter area you help avoid it.

Enjoy !!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Russ

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 09:50:40 am »
It's a Sundance Altamar. I don't think I'll have time to run to the dealer, we'll see. Any other suggestions? Any hardness test kits at Walmart? They are closer than the dealer.
Enjoy??? You can count on it!  ;D ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 09:56:18 am »
You could try WallyWorld - but I don't know for sure. Call the pet department first, they have some test kits for folks who maintain salt water aquariums, other than that I don't know.

Good choice: Sundance makes a fine tub, and I'm glad SOMEBODY around here chose something other than an Optima !! Lounge owners unite !!

;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 09:58:30 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

windsurfdog

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 11:11:41 am »
Lounge owners unite !!

Count me as a lounge lizard........ 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Russ

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 11:12:40 am »
What hardness level do I want my hot people tank at?
:D 8)

windsurfdog

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 10:44:47 pm »
What hardness level do I want my hot people tank at?
 :D 8)

Get a Taylor Test Kit and follow the information found in the excellent accompanying booklet......you can't go wrong with the excellent advice found there...... 8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 10:45:59 pm by windsurfdog »

steve771

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 11:47:20 pm »
I used the RV filter with great results, IMHO.  Water is crystal clear (after all, people use this to make water drinkable, so it should, right?).  It slowed the flow a bit (water passing thru a filter will do that), but not bad.  Nice thing is, the RV filter treats lotsa gallons, so it will last for quite a few fills.  If you do go with an RV filter, make sure you run water thru it for several seconds away from the tub or the carbon on the charcoal filter will end up in it!

Russ

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:59:04 am »
good morning all!  ;D

Well, the tub is full and at a toasty 100 degrees.
The RV filter did a great job. And to Steve771...you are correct about the black stuff. WOW. glad that didn't wind up in the tub.

The dealer I bought my tub from prints a comprehensive startup booklet. It walks you through every single step to start and get your tub up and running with the proper chemicals. Even separate pages for well water vs  city water. The only thing I don't like is how much time they make you wait to use it! 4 days! Seems like a long time, but they said I will be glad I took my time to do it right... ok, fine I can wait until Christmas morning.  ;D

So far so good...

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 07:11:43 am »
Russ,

May I ask why they ask you to wait?  I had my tub up and running, but the dealer was coming the following day to give instructions on the chemicals.  I expressed my thoughts to wait on here, and I got this response "This is the water you bathe in" which made a lot of sense!  I had no problems!  I put in a little chlorine and then got my full instruction the next day!

I don't have well water, does it have to do with that?

I'm just curious!  I don't know if I could have waited 4 days  :o, 1 day seemed bad enough!!!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Russ

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 07:26:47 am »
Well, the way they have me doing the chemicals could be the reason... I guess I'm not sure.

Day 1... turn tub on, put in Sea Klear and Stain and Scale control. Set time and filtering cyle.

Day 2... Test and adjust pH (mine is 8.5 I have a pH meter at work). They say 1 capful at a time...and wait 30 minutes between testing.
After you're close to your optimum pH, wait 2 full hours before trying to adjust TA and use same procedure as pH.

Day 3..add 2 heaping tablespoons of chlorine.

Day 4..clean filter... then enjoy tub.

I'm open to suggestions...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 07:28:24 am by Russ »

Russ

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 07:29:19 am »
tablethingys?... I didn't type that!!! ???

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 11:09:29 am »
Yeah, the filter takes out the offensive part of the word!  Funny, huh!!!

I don't have to worry about all of that with my water.  I put in some chlorine and every great once in a while, I have to adjust the ta or ph.

Maybe one of the experts can help.  I have only had a tub for a year, and although I may be an expert with my tub and my water, I would hate to mess you up.

If you want to type that word, use 0 instead of O.  As in tablesp00n, or teasp00n.

Good luck!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Russ

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 11:19:43 am »
thanks Lori.
Ok experts, give me some advice here. I WANT TO SOAK!
all I can tell you is my pH is 8.5.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 11:19:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42