What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagra Start Up  (Read 4445 times)

ladwighome

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Caldera Niagra Start Up
« on: December 21, 2004, 05:42:34 pm »
Just got a call from the dealer and my Spa is on its way from California.  (Caldera Niagra)

So after delivery I will have to wait a little while for my electrical hook up, my question is up here in Cold Wisconsin will there be a problem if the tub sits a few weeks before the electrical is done and I can start it up?

I would love to be in it right away but am dependant on my electrition as he is a neighbor and will save me around $700.00 on the hook up.

He is certified and all and owns his own heating company.

Just want to be sure after spending $8,400.00 on the Spa that I will not be doing any harm by leaving it sit until he can wire it.

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagra Start Up
« on: December 21, 2004, 05:42:34 pm »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Caldera Niagra Start Up
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 06:40:50 pm »
I would let the dealer know that it is going to be sitting out in the cold for some time.  Maybe they can winterize it for you.

Jonathan

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 06:55:31 pm »
For sure I'd ask the dealer to drain the plumbing.  There may be some residual water in there from factory testing, and you wouldn't wan't any freezing water in your lines.  Any chance they can store it indoors for you until the install day?  
Brewman
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 07:05:24 pm »
I am curious as to why you do not have the dealer keep it  until you are ready does he not have the room...is it shipping directly to you....it seems keeping it wrapped in a warehouse would make the most sense.....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:11:47 pm by Mendocino101 »

ladwighome

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 08:11:05 pm »
I will ask the dealer about the winterizing and draining the lines.  I would as him to store it to but for some reason my neighbor the electrician wishes to do the wireing after the tub is here.

I asked him about pre-wiring so that only the hook up would be left to do but he said he would just prefer to do it all at once.

Should I just go ahead and fork over the extra $$$ to the dealers electrician?  I would be looking at approximatley $1,200.00 if I do as opposed to around $500.00 but as I said after spending $8,400.00 before tax on the tub I really dont want to try and save now and end up paying for it.

What do you all think?

mhraracing

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 08:19:36 pm »
Lad - I dont know your friends situation...but pre-wiring before you spa gets here is a good idea. There is no reason he cant run the main wires from your main panel to your GFCI sub box - at least.  Doing it all at once could be a pain - unless he ALL the materials in hand so there no running back and forth to the electrical warehouse.  

my .02
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 08:07:44 am by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 08:38:37 pm »
While he's doing the pre-wire, put a light in the equipment compartment and close the door! This should help a lot in fact, he would probably appreciate it if you put a space heater out there facing the equipment and it would help keep things warm....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 10:21:28 pm »
I have problems every time a customer employs an electrician other than one of our experienced electricians. Every time. Every, single, time.

Keep in mind that HotSpring (and Caldera) use a sub panel, and for some reason no electrician who hasn't installed one can understand why. OK, some of them understand why - but those usually end up putting the neutral wire onto the neutral buss instead of the appropriate breaker.

So if your friend is open to reading the info, carefully looking at the schematics, listening to your dealer, then go ahead.

On the other hand, if your friend puts the neutral wire on the wrong spot, it's not a really big deal to come back out and swap it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:48 pm »
I have problems every time a customer employs an electrician other than one of our experienced electricians. Every time. Every, single, time.

Keep in mind that HotSpring (and Caldera) use a sub panel, and for some reason no electrician who hasn't installed one can understand why. OK, some of them understand why - but those usually end up putting the neutral wire onto the neutral buss instead of the appropriate breaker.

So if your friend is open to reading the info, carefully looking at the schematics, listening to your dealer, then go ahead.

On the other hand, if your friend puts the neutral wire on the wrong spot, it's not a really big deal to come back out and swap it.

Oh how I smile when I read this! So true "Every time. Every, single, time."

It was so nice of you to leave out the part where they say "I'm a licensed electrician! Don't tell me how to do it" and when the customer says "What do you mean your going to charge me for a service call because the wiring was done wrong! No one told us the right way!"(Well, other than the owner’s manual, the schematic on the pack, the schematic on the sub panel and the delivery guy's!) ;) 8) ;D

pslmd

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 11:37:35 pm »
   I bought the hot springs vista and I had my contractor pre install all the wiring and subpanel, and everything was hooked up the next day after the spa was delivered (since delivered in the evening)  Despite being warned by the dealer that every electrician screws up the hookup, my contractor had no problem and told me "it was easy, the preinstall book tells you exactly what to do".  I've had it hooked up 1 week and all is working perfect despite freezing weather.  Make sure your guy reads the preinstall book and have him preinstall all but the last step till the tub is delivered. Pete

jasolution

• Caldera Niagara -- Woo hoo!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 08:02:20 am »
I purchased a Caldera Niagara earlier this year (August) and it arrived with some residual water in the plumbing, so I would definitely recommend trying to store it inside, if at all possible.

I also did my own wiring, which on this tub was very easy due to Caldera's clear wiring instructions. I'm not an electrician, just a weekend warrior, so the fact that I was able to do it is a testament to Caldera's clear instructions.  ;) I prewired to the GFCI sub-panel before the tub arrived, then did the final hook-up after the dealer set the tub. It took about 15 minutes to perform the final hook-up.

I would highly recommend that you ask your friend to perform the pre-wiring. You may be able to convince him if you ask the dealer for the GFCI sub-panel now so you can show your friend the wiring schematics. Caldera couldn't make wiring the tub much simpler, IMO.

We really enjoy the Niagara and are still pleased that we chose that tub. We've been impressed with the tub's ability to maintain our 102 temp setting even when the outside temp is at 0 degrees (F) and the cover is fully open.

Enjoy your tub!

jasolution

• Caldera Niagara -- Woo hoo!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 08:11:15 am »
I bought the Caldera Niagara in August and it came with some residual water from the factory. It's probably best if you can arrange inside storage until you're ready to fill it up.

I'm not an electrician, just a weekend warrior, and thanks to Caldera's excellent wiring instructions, I was able to do all of my own wiring. I pre-wired the GFCI sub-panel before delivery, then did the final hook-up after the dealer set the tub. My run from the main panel to the sub was 38', and from the sub to the tub was 12'. The whole wiring job took about 45 minutes to an hour. Drilling the holes and pulling the wire through my floor joists was the most time consuming part of the job.

Perhaps if you ask the dealer for your sub-panel now and show your friend the wiring schematics, he'll see that it is about a 10 minute job to do the final hook-up.

Good luck, I anticipate that you'll really enjoy this tub. I've been impressed with the Niagara's ability to keep the temp at 102 with the cover off for a nice, long soak during the 0 degree weather we've been having this week.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 11:46:37 am »
I'm not an electrician, just a weekend warrior, and thanks to Caldera's excellent wiring instructions, I was able to do all of my own wiring.

There are 3 keys to a successful spa wiring job:

1) Having electrical wiring experience;
2) Having a good schematic to work off of;
3) Actually USING the schematic rather than saying "Hell, I know how to wire a spa! I don't need a schematic".

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 12:15:24 pm »
There are 3 keys to a successful spa wiring job:
1) Having electrical wiring experience;
2) Having a good schematic to work off of;
3) Actually USING the schematic rather than saying "I know how to wire a spa! I don't need a schematic".
I agree. I usually get in the middle of a war on these things, and without exception the problem started with something as  simple as not reading the written material which was provided, or not lowering themselves and asking the dealer what the tub will need. Mind you, I'm not saying that the problem STAYED simple... once the conduit has been installed and the wrong wire pulled, it often ends up with me going out and re wiring the tub on my day off...

I find that people who do it themselves generally are aware of their own limitations, and so they will gladly go over the schematics in detail - often asking lots of questions along the way - I give those folks my cell number and invite them to call anytime as they are working on the wiring.

It's the 30-year veteran electrician who assumes I don't know what I'm talking about who usually installs a beautiful job which is completely useless. And then he wants to charge me for not selling a spa that wires up like the other tubs he has wired...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ladwighome

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 05:41:20 pm »
Ok-Today I stopped by my Dealer and discussed the matter with them also.  Found out the Spa is shipped to the dealer already winterized due to the cold climate here in winter and transporting on a route that goes through the Rockies on the way here.

He also informed me that the only real concern would to be to keep the snow off the cover. As far as left over water in the lines pipes etc... not to worry as when they do the start up they will thaw them all beforehand if neccessary.  

He stated that they could hold the tub for me until I am ready if I would prefer that as well.

Thanks to all who responded and I will let you know when I am up and running.

Lad

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 05:41:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42