What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: start up time...4 days?  (Read 3281 times)

Russ

start up time...4 days?
« on: December 22, 2004, 12:48:14 pm »
this from my earlier thread...

Lori asked why I have to wait 4 days to use my tub...

Well, the way they have me doing the chemicals could be the reason... I guess I'm not sure.

Day 1... turn tub on, put in Sea Klear and Stain and Scale control. Set time and filtering cyle.

Day 2... Test and adjust pH (mine is 8.5 I have a pH meter at work). They say 1 capful at a time...and wait 30 minutes between testing.  
After you're close to your optimum pH, wait 2 full hours before trying to adjust TA and use same procedure as pH.

Day 3..add 2 heaping tablesthingys of chlorine.

Day 4..clean filter... then enjoy tub.

I'm open to suggestions... I REALLY WANT TO SOAK TONIGHT... any reason why not?

Hot Tub Forum

start up time...4 days?
« on: December 22, 2004, 12:48:14 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: start up time...4 days?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:24:12 pm »
I have had people in their spas as soon as an hour after powering it up. Mind you, the water wasn't hot yet, but once the chems are balanced you can get in.

I do it this way:

check pH and TA - and adjust.
Run the jets for 20 minutes while I do a walk-through of buttons and levers, and do a basic chem school.

Add two ounces of Dichlor for a heavy shock. This is required by HotSpring to handle any strange stuff left in the pipes during shipping.

Heat the tub and add people, or add people to cool tub if they really want to.

I'm sure your dealer has his reasons for taking four days, but I can't think of any.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

poolboy34

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:23:22 pm »
I don't know how anyone else has been taught, but I was always told to adjust TA before adjusting pH.  

Russ

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 02:40:55 pm »
I don't know how anyone else has been taught, but I was always told to adjust TA before adjusting pH.  

Wasn't I reading earlier,in another post the opposite?  :-/

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 02:42:35 pm »
I have had people in their spas as soon as an hour after powering it up. Mind you, the water wasn't hot yet, but once the chems are balanced you can get in.

Isn't it basically the same water you bathe and shower in anyway?   Itsn't long term balancing more for keeping your tub clean and in good working order?  

My tub had power at midnight, 6am it was only up to 80 (This was March) so we got in it at 7pm the next night. We all survived.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 02:47:03 pm »
Thanks guys!  I said basically the same thing, because I worried about getting in without the chemicals all balancing!

I just didn't want to steer a newbie wrong!

See, I knew the experts would answer!  Good idea to start a new thread!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Russ

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 02:47:13 pm »
It's the same..only different  ;)
It did not go through the softener.

The answer I was looking for...
I'll live through the unbalanced water soaking tonight and AFTER I soak I will put more chems in.

OR, can I put some pH decreaser in and then soak?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 02:57:13 pm »
OR, can I put some pH decreaser in and then soak?

Just a thought from an experienced user, who always has an opinion. -  I would think if you put in any chemical intended for spas you will be ok if you run the jets for a few minutes before jumping in. Some of these chemicals that are ok in 400 gallons of water might be an irratant if dumped directly on your skin in heavier quantities.

I guess I'm saying, don't dump them in the tub while you are in it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Russ

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 03:07:38 pm »
THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!  ;D ;D

The best part is... I'm soaking tonight AND it's suppose to SNOW! How's that for a first soak?   ;D

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 03:26:54 pm »
The most important thing is the sanitizer.  Most companies test their products before distribution.  Some of the water might be left in the damp, dark and cool water lines.  Perfect environment to produce "coodies".  Add a little sanitizer and soak.
¿

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 03:26:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42