What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: About Reviews  (Read 5610 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
About Reviews
« on: December 16, 2004, 01:29:50 pm »
In reading some of the reviews it seems that there are a fair number that are written based only on a wet test....does this seem fair...I do not think that wet testing necessarily gives a enough insight on a spa for a competent review.....any thoughts....

Hot Tub Forum

About Reviews
« on: December 16, 2004, 01:29:50 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: About Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 01:54:09 pm »
In reading some of the reviews it seems that there are a fair number that are written based only on a wet test....does this seem fair...I do not think that wet testing necessarily gives a enough insight on a spa for a competent review.....any thoughts....

Agreed. I noticed that too when I was reading a review on a Coleman. In fact it seemed more like a bad review of the dealer than the spa itself. Not really appropriate. Bill, can you delete that?
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 04:34:13 pm »
I do not think that wet testing necessarily gives a enough insight on a spa for a competent review.....

Mendo,
I agree wholeheartedly.  To truly write a comprehensive review, which I believe is the intent of the review section, one must spend some hours--not minutes--in the tub.  Each tub has it's nuances--both positive and negative--and these cannot be realized with a casual splash.  Also, I agree with HTM that the reviews section is NOT about dealers.....that's better left to the forum.  I've successfully asked for 2 reviews to be removed because of misdirected content--I think it is up to us to bring these to light to the Terminators so they may review and delete as they deem necessary.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 05:25:11 pm »
I've successfully asked for 2 reviews to be removed because of misdirected content--I think it is up to us to bring these to light to the Terminators so they may review and delete as they deem necessary.
 8)

Bully...>:( ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 05:54:32 pm »
Bully...>:( ;D

I wonder if those happened to be less than glowing reviews of Master Spas?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 06:08:18 pm »

I wondered the same thing!?

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 10:35:48 am »

You boys better leave that DAWG alone, he'll start GROWLING....

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 03:15:23 pm »
Agreed. I noticed that too when I was reading a review on a Coleman. In fact it seemed more like a bad review of the dealer than the spa itself. Not really appropriate. Bill, can you delete that?

I removed one  review like this already.  This was indeed Masterspa related, but the poster did not wet test or purchase, just seemed to have an ax to grind. I do believe reviews based on wet tests are valid, if written properly . If your 6'7 and you don't fit in X brand Model Y spa, it is relevant to people 6'7.   The Coleman review mentioned is questionable, I'll let the big honcho decide, but this poster didn't appear to wet test and made a couple points more attribibutible to the dealer not the product and then blasted design characteristics with, as they say on the cop shows, "Assuming facts not in evidence."

At this point I don't know how/if reviews will be handled on the new board when that happens.  I'd love the ability of a reviewer add comments, but not neccesairily delete or change previous reviews.   Everyone seems to want to do a review of the spa when they first get it and most everyone still loves their spa the first week.

PS if that is your dog Drewski, nice job keeping its teeth nice. (Daughter is a vet tech who does that)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:46:32 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 06:14:13 pm »

And bubba Stu said:

I'm truly sorry that the two of you would judge me in that light.....I was hoping the persona that I project on this board would not be assessed to be so shallow...and in such a shallow way.  I guess it must be guilt by association for I don't feel your comments are justified AT ALL.  So, since it seems that I have to frequently defend both my tub and my reputation around here, here's the poop:

The two reviews were indeed MasterSpa reviews.  Both of them were not "less than glowing" but were 1 to 2 line axe grinds by individuals who did not convey in their comments that they owned, tested or had even seen an LSX in person.  My requests to the admins were couched with "....please review the review and, if deemed by you to be counter to the spirit of the reviews section, please delete...."  These are the only reviews I've asked to be removed...and they were...so I guess my requests have been deemed to be valid by someone with much more authority than you......or me.

In the spirit of the season and in the spirit of the respect that I have for both of you, tuo and bubba stu, I apologize for being rather firm in the above statements....it is just something that had to be said....and the difference between good hearted fun, like bubba stu's "bully" comment and our running "flimsy cabinet" comments, and the comments quoted above is very evident.

(Truce re-enabled)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 06:33:57 pm »
Well WSD, I for one hold nothing against you. In fact, almost the opposite. As someone that maintains a similar spa review website section I think there are some basic responsibilities of "us" moderators. epinions also has ratings for spas AND they hand pick what gets posted or not. I believe they require 100 words minimum and some kind of informational substance to a submission. I "review" every review that gets posted to my site and I will tell you, I have deleted some.

I truly believe I have done so in the interest of both consummer AND manufacturer. A one sentance review about somerthing being a piece of junk tells nothing and only puts a hint of doubt in the consummers mind. This I don't believe to be fair to either consummers or manufacturers. By the same token, a one sentance review praising as better than sliced bread tells no one anythting either.......... and was probably posted by a bored salesman (of which we might be able to debate the estimate enducation leve of).  Both of these types of reviews simply dilute the amount of good informational reviews and probably/possible reduce the number of reviews people might be willing/wanting to read.

The internet is about information, if there's no information it's just taking up time and space.  Be it good or bad, I welcome all reviews, I just ask for substance that another spa shopper can actualy use to help in their dificult decission.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 06:39:18 pm »
In the spirit of the season and in the spirit of the respect that I have for both of you, tuo and bubba stu, I apologize for being rather firm in the above statements....it is just something that had to be said....and the difference between good hearted fun, like bubba stu's "bully" comment and our running "flimsy cabinet" comments, and the comments quoted above is very evident.

(Truce re-enabled)

IMO, its very evident that the comments were light hearted in nature.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 07:45:06 pm »
Windy buddy! I truly meant that light hearted!

There is no doubt that I have a problem with Master spas and have a ton more stories and ammo to go on the attack but I don't think that would serve anyone well.

The biggest reason I don't comment even more than I do on the product is out of respect to you. I think Master Spa should pay you for the effort you put forth here for them!

You my friend are the ONLY shinning star in that world of Master that I appreciate!

I understand your defense of the product you own and of your decision however, please understand that this is how I make my living and I have no choice but to take it very seriously! Your defending the brand you purchased is admirable but I think that Master does some things as a company that gives the industry a black eye and someone needs to address it on a constant basis.

I believe that there is much about the company and the product you are not privy to that I am from selling them, dealing with the factory on a constant basis and servicing the spas I've sold.

Standing up for Master is a part time hobby for you that you do very well, selling against them is my livelihood.....

What I wouldn’t give to have you in one of the brands that I sell! Your contribution and presence on this board is huge! Master spa or no Master spa, I would not trade your commentaries for anyones…..

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 01:45:40 am »
Windy buddy!  I would not trade your commentaries for anyones…..

Anyones ???

Harrrumph.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 09:03:01 am »
Anyones ???

Harrrumph.

Sorry, I meant anyone but Bill......er....I'm mean Chas! ;) ;D

windsurfdog

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 09:56:50 am »
Doc, you summed up the points I was attempting to make in my first post on this thread quite well.  I very much appreciate the time and effort it must take you to monitor your board and be as active as you are on this one......Thank you.

tuo, it surely seems that I overreacted with my second post.  Certainly you understand why I might (especially after Drewski's post--I guess I wasn't the only one to see the comments in a more than lighthearted light)....I enjoy a tub that so far has been perfect and I see no reason why other consumers would not have the same experience as mine....rest assured that if I read ANY review that I feel is not intended in the spirit of the section, I will alert the Terminators....just as I hope you will.

bubba stu,  I just can't find the words to tell you how much I appreciate your post.  Indeed you make me want a Marquis for the same reason....just to be in step with you....
Thank you for your friendship....and for your patience with me when my panties get bunched (yeah, I know--the visuals are NOT good  :P)....I certainly hope that someday we'll be able to share a soak......... 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 09:56:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42