What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Tub Delivered Pump 2 Not Working  (Read 5166 times)

hawkman

New Tub Delivered Pump 2 Not Working
« on: December 17, 2004, 08:42:07 pm »
Got the new Caldera today and filled her up. Took about an hour to do so, (500 gallons).  Got the electric connected to it and it started up except pump 2 seems to have a problem. You hear it but it isn't really running like Pump 1.

The book says to let the air out of the pump then turning it back on, but that hasn't worked. The other thing is that it says to let it cool off for an hour and then try it again. If it doesnt work this time in an hour, someone is getting a call from me.  >:(

Hot Tub Forum

New Tub Delivered Pump 2 Not Working
« on: December 17, 2004, 08:42:07 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: New Tub Delivered Pump 2 Not Working
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 08:49:43 pm »
Relax. Your spa can sense uptightness like a dog can sense fear. If you relax, it will most likely start working.
;)

I bet it's just an airlock, and you may need to let it sit awhile in between trying it.  If they say to let out air, do it a lot.  Then do it some more.

Enjoy !!

May you soak long - in a relaxed state of mind - and prosper.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 08:52:25 pm »
Does Caldera use gate valves?

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 10:07:42 pm »
I'm not sure if they use gate or globe valves?.?

I've taken the valve retainer nut off only once,and never looked down to see what was what. Are we talking about the diverter valve or the valve next to the pump/s?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:46:07 pm »
I'm not sure if they use gate or globe valves?.?

I've taken the valve retainer nut off only once,and never looked down to see what was what. Are we talking about the diverter valve or the valve next to the pump/s?

I mean the service valves by the pump.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 11:35:02 pm by stuart »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 10:56:04 pm »
Sounds like it's air locked. You should be able to loosen the connection at the pump. Tighten it back when water flows out instead of air.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 11:36:57 pm »
Sounds like it's air locked. You should be able to loosen the connection at the pump. Tighten it back when water flows out instead of air.

I agree with everyone that it could be an air lock however, air locks typically have no pressure at all.

If the spa has more than one filter you might try switching then and see how that changes the dynamics. I've seen filters with problems like that right off the shelf.

spahappy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 11:46:12 pm »
I agree with everyone that it could be an air lock however, air locks typically have no pressure at all.

If the spa has more than one filter you might try switching then and see how that changes the dynamics. I've seen filters with problems like that right off the shelf.

I beg to differ Stuart as I played tech just last night and bled off a pump on a first fill. The air pressure was at the pump and when it escaped the water followed. It took me longer to figure out my drill then to take care of the airlocked pump. ???

My boss let me get some tools and now I'm quite  dangerous.

Spahappy :D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 11:54:41 pm »

I beg to differ Stuart as I played tech just last night and bled off a pump on a first fill. The air pressure was at the pump and when it escaped the water followed. It took me longer to figure out my drill then to take care of the airlocked pump. ???

My boss let me get some tools and now I'm quite  dangerous.

Short Norwegian woman loose with power tools! SAY IT ISN'T SO! :o

Listen, you've given birth and raised children. That makes you a genius! (It will take a couple of more years in the Navy for your son to figure that out though! ;))

spahappy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 11:56:50 pm »

Short Norwegian woman loose with power tools! SAY IT ISN'T SO! :o

Listen, you've given birth and raised children. That makes you a genius! (It will take a couple of more years in the Navy for your son to figure that out though! ;))

I'm hoping he'll start to figure alot of things out in the Navy!!

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 12:29:38 am »
Caldera's have bleeder valves on the pumps.  Your dealer had to install them upon delivery.  Simply loosen them a bit untill you hear the air seeping out, eventually this will stop and water will begin to drip out of the valve(plug).  At this point tighten it back down and turn the jets on.  repeat untill the air lock is purged.  

Side Note: caldera's have only one 75 SqFt filter cartridge.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 12:59:33 am »
I stopped by a new customer's house last night that had just filled his spa and pump #2 "wouldn't work". It took me longer to remove the doors than it took me to loosen the nut at the pump to let the air out. I knew the guy thought he had a "real" problem. Boy did his atttitude change real quick when he realized his problem wasn't a manufactured problem and should have been his to deal with. He admitted after all was well that he initaially thought I was full of it when I told him upon investigation that it was an air lock and all would be fine in a minute or two.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 01:33:34 pm »
This is PRECISLY why we perform all hookup start up and fill up on the spas we sell. Why should the customer be responsible for getting under the hood of his car an hour after he's driven it off the lot. Dealers IMnotsoHO should be there at time of delivery to start the spa, show the customer how to purge FUTURE air locks when they drain and refill. Here's your tub, good luck call if you need anything just doen't cut it from where I stand. You can all say what you want about but what if the electrical isn't done, or were not licensed electricians blah blah blah, hooking up a hot tub is pretty darn close to the same as plugging in a toaster, especialy if your in the business. If you are, and dont know how to hook one up, then what are you doing? How can you sell one with out being able to explain the electrical requirements, and if you can eplain the electrical requirements, then you know how to hook one up. OK, I guess that's enough out of me, I gotta go fix a pump in one of my ultra reliable JacuzziŽ spas I used to sell.

I stopped by a new customer's house last night that had just filled his spa and pump #2 "wouldn't work". It took me longer to remove the doors than it took me to loosen the nut at the pump to let the air out. I knew the guy thought he had a "real" problem. Boy did his atttitude change real quick when he realized his problem wasn't a manufactured problem and should have been his to deal with. He admitted after all was well that he initaially thought I was full of it when I told him upon investigation that it was an air lock and all would be fine in a minute or two.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

spahappy

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 02:38:11 pm »
We're there at the time of delivery for about 95% of our spa installs.
When the customer can't wait for our crew because little Suzie is comming home from college and they want the tub in place for Christmas vacation we'll fudge on that a bit.
I drove 49 miles out in the badlands after dark almost hit a doe and her two yearlings, got lost twice and spent less then two minutes on the pump. But that's what customer service is all about, and now the whole family can enjoy their new Christmas toy with all three of their children. And I got to use my new drill..HO HO HO

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 02:43:31 pm »
YOU DA MA... uh WOMAN!
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 02:43:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42