What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Non-Chlorine/Bromine Alternative  (Read 12509 times)

zzaphod42

Non-Chlorine/Bromine Alternative
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:34:24 pm »
I have a new customer who is VERY interested in trying to have a chlorine/bromine free hot tub. Although they have a home close to my store where the tub is going, they also work in the u.s. and can easily buy product there.

I was wondering if anyone is willing to make a recommendation of one non-chlorine/bromine regime over another? They are well aware of the fact that I do not endorse running a hot tub without bromine or chlorine, but would like to try anyway.

And no I do not need a lecture on the importance of always have some bromine or chlorine in a hot tub :P ;D

Joe

Hot Tub Forum

Non-Chlorine/Bromine Alternative
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:34:24 pm »

xrdirthead

Re: Non-Chlorine/Bromine Alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 07:06:01 pm »
I think Nature 2 has a product that can be used with it that doesn't have chlorine in it...

zzaphod42

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:28:24 pm »
Thanks xr, - any other recommendations people??? Anyone? Hello?

Alright, come on guys, lay off the booze, and get down off of the Arctic covers and help a man out  ;D

We Canadian folk don't know anything a-boot these alternate systems eh? :(

Joe

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 12:31:44 pm »
Joe, Nature 2 is what they want. Dimension 1 dealers sell the same thing only its called Vision. The Vision cartridge costs more but lasts 50% longer (6 months vs 4). They will still need to use dichlor periodically and they will still need an oxidizer (duichlor can work, or MPS or equivilent)

Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 01:25:32 pm »
I've tried SoftSoak and liked it but it did require more attention than I was able to give, I rarely test my spa once a month and might go a year without a refill.

I have recently looked at the Pristine Blue but have yet to try it so I wouldn't feel right about giving advise or recommendations. If I haven't used something on my personal spa at home I don't push it on others.

zzaphod42

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 01:45:05 pm »
I've tried SoftSoak and liked it but it did require more attention than I was able to give, I rarely test my spa once a month and might go a year without a refill.

I have recently looked at the Pristine Blue but have yet to try it so I wouldn't feel right about giving advise or recommendations. If I haven't used something on my personal spa at home I don't push it on others.

Trust me, I am definitely NOT pushing any of this stuff on my customers! Living in Canada I recommend a total of two different sanitizer routines: Bromine or Chlorine. However, I wanted to have a couple of suggestions, since they are intent on giving an alternate system a try. I figured it would be better to get some advice from those of you "in the know," rather than send them off blindly.

Joe

wetone

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 08:40:49 am »
The closest to chemical free we have gotten our tub after a number of experments is Nature 2 in a D1 ChairmanII, 1 tablesspoon MPS after each use and 1 table spoon of Dichlor once a week.

I tried just MPS/N2 and no Dichlor, water went cloudy after 2 weeks regular use.

wetone

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 08:44:05 am »
The closest to chemical free we have gotten our tub after a number of experments is Nature 2 in a D1 ChairmanII, 1 tablesspoon MPS after each use and 1 table spoon of Dichlor once a week.

I tried just MPS/N2 and no Dichlor, water went cloudy after 2 weeks regular use.

hold on... I didn't type sthingy, who's playing with the remote ??? ;D

Pooldevil

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 09:25:12 am »
Hi
You might like to take a look at the EcoOne system , manufactured in the US and we sell it here in the UK.
It can be used chlorine free with just small shock doses after use.
Check out : www.eco-one.co.uk

Winnsome

• I love Hot Tubbbing and Boating.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 09:30:26 am »
We are new too hot tubs.  I have a real problem with chlorine (the smell)  so our dealer had us use the Pristineblue setup.  This is the one he uses on his own spa at his residence.  And he has 6 kids, all teenagers, with 4 girls and two boys.  We have really enjoyed the Pristineblue.  Easy to take care of and haven't had any Ph or Alk problems at all.  Ph runs at 7.4 and Alk runs at 90ppm. Calcuim runs around 150-200ppm.  The Pristineblue (copper ions) runs at .9ppm checked every two weeks.  They have a good webb site as well.  And EPA approved in most states I understand.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 10:57:26 am »
A biguanide system (Soft Soak, Baqua Spa) is the only other alternative but the hydrogen peroxide in the shock can be harmful to the spa.

I would never use or recommend it but if you have a customer that is dead set against chlorine or bromine it is all you can use.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 11:49:16 am »
A biguanide system (Soft Soak, Baqua Spa) is the only other alternative but the hydrogen peroxide in the shock can be harmful to the spa.

I would never use or recommend it but if you have a customer that is dead set against chlorine or bromine it is all you can use.

Gary

Gary, have you tested the Pristine Blue?

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 01:03:05 pm »

It is my understanding that Pristine Blue is not a biguanide system but rather a copper based - originally developed for algea control in pools but now used as a main sanitizer. It is also suppose to be compatible with MPS.

Thanks Winnsome for you feedback on Pristine Blue. I would love to hear more from anyone who has experience with it.
e

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 01:18:43 pm »
Gary, have you tested the Pristine Blue?

Yes and I did not care for it. It is copper based and it is not nearly effective as chlorine. They do not even claim it is a sanitizer.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 02:48:42 pm »
Yes and I did not care for it. It is copper based and it is not nearly effective as chlorine. They do not even claim it is a sanitizer.

How does one measure the relative effectiveness of a chosen regimen?  What about Pristine Blue was not effective?
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 02:48:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42