What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Power Requirements (30/40/50/60)  (Read 9622 times)

lookielook

Power Requirements (30/40/50/60)
« on: December 10, 2004, 05:12:17 pm »
We are close to joining the hot tub/spa ranks but had an unfortunate discovery.  I am no electrician, but apparently our house only has 30 amps of power left that could be dedicated to the tub, unless we want to drag in more power.  As I understand it, we can run a unit on 30 amps, but the heater won't work when we turn the pumps on, I don't like the sound of that.  Anyone with creative solutions and/or is there any model/brand where the bells and whistles all work on less power?  Maybe I just look at smaller models?  Thus far we were looking at Sundance Cameo/Optima and Jacuzzi 365, and will probably look at a few more.  Thanks for any ideas.

Hot Tub Forum

Power Requirements (30/40/50/60)
« on: December 10, 2004, 05:12:17 pm »

Wheeler

• Sundance Optima owner
Re: Power Requirements (30/40/50/60)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 05:22:39 pm »
Hi, just a couple questions to help clarify and then everyone will be able to give best advice...

Did an electrician tell you that you don't have enough power to run a spa, or how did you come by this info?  What service does your house have?  (older homes frequently have 100 amp service, newer homes typically have 200 amp service)

I have an Optima, and was fortunately able to run 60 amp service, but I definitely could have gotten by with 50 amps, and probably less.  You can run the spa on 30 amps, but if you live in a colder climate you'll definitely want to be able to run the pumps and heater at same time.  

I recommend getting at least 3 bids from electricians to evaluate your current situation and determine what you can and can't do and how much it'll cost.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 05:27:24 pm »
Another important question:

Where do you live and how cold does it get?

If I sell a tub that can run 30/50A, I would not recommend that my customer hook it up to 30A based on the climate here. I live in southern Canada (near Toronto) and the heater loss would be very noticable after 20-30 minutes with no heater running.

Homeworks Financing Representative

lookielook

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:28:03 pm »
Got the info from the electrician (works primarily installing power for tubs) who came out for a look-see.  We only have 100 amps in the house, and have a pool.  We probably need to go to 200 amps sooner or later, but later is better.  We live in Nor Cal so the temp. is pretty moderate, no snow, but it can be chilly at night (with all due respect to those on this board from Canada and other cold places)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 06:11:03 pm »
The service upgrade would be your best bet, but cost is certainly a factor.  I also have the Optima running on 60 amps, but I live in Minnesota.  
In your area, you may get by on 30.  At least you got an opinion from an quailfied electrician.  A lot of people add up the numbers on their circuit breakers, and freak out when the total amperage adds up to more than their main is rated for.  
If you need to hire the electrician anyway, what is the cost difference between him installing your 30 amp hookup vs paying for the service upgrade?  Like you said, sooner or later you might have to bite the bullet, and this stuff doesn't get cheaper as time passes.
Your choice.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 06:17:26 pm »
You may not like the sound of this, but if your main panel is so stuffed that you can't add over 30 amps, then you really need a new main panel.

Yes, you can run many spas on 30 amps, and just as you have said, the heat will go off when the jets are on. HotSpring tubs can be set so that the heat will not be on when jets are on, so you can run 30 amps to the sub panel, but that will never pass an electrical inspection: the will most likely be looking for a 50 amp breaker to power the sub. You might be able to run just a 30 amp breaker and circuit to the tub, but you will simply enjoy the whole thing more if you can run it with 50 amps.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 06:32:59 pm »
In the case of our spa, which has a jumper option to set 30 amp consumption, you could conceivably install the correct size wire for a 50/60 amp install, put on a 30 amp gfi, and you should pass inspection, since the breaker is sized for the wire.  
That way if you wanted or needed to upgrade electrical service in the future, you'd already have the correct sized wire in place, could swap out the 30 amp gfi for a 50 or 60, set the spa jumper to run on 50 or 60, and away you'd go.  You'd have to buy another GFI, of course.
Brewman
Brewman

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 01:28:41 pm »
Got the info from the electrician (works primarily installing power for tubs) who came out for a look-see.  We only have 100 amps in the house, and have a pool.  We probably need to go to 200 amps sooner or later, but later is better.  We live in Nor Cal so the temp. is pretty moderate, no snow, but it can be chilly at night (with all due respect to those on this board from Canada and other cold places)

Did he give you a quote on a service upgrade?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 01:28:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42