What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS foam  (Read 8191 times)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: MPS foam
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 04:14:33 pm »
For instance, Doc sells Sea Klear non chlorine shock and LeisureTime Renew.  Renew is buffered meaning it is pH neutral.  For a 500 gal spa you need 4 oz Renew to shock vs 2 oz Sea Klear.  Renew is also quite a bit more expensive.  Right now, I am using a brand called Diamond which only calls for 3/4 oz to shock, even though I use LeisureTime chems for everything else.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 04:14:33 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 11:54:22 am »
For instance, Doc sells Sea Klear non chlorine shock .

Thanks, I just ordered some from him, will try it.  I only use it every other week, so it won't affect my PH that much so I'll give it a try.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

steve771

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 01:49:09 pm »

Thanks, I just ordered some from him, will try it.  I only use it every other week, so it won't affect my PH that much so I'll give it a try.

If I might ask, why are you looking to an alternative to MPS?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 01:50:37 pm »

Steve771, the answer is in the quote! MPS lowers pH.
Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 02:17:50 pm »

I'm not looking into an alternative to MPS, but to an alternative MPS.  (Hope that makes sense)
For me, it was the buffering which raises the TDS count and means I have to change water more often and without the buffering I can use a lot less chemicals in my tub, and my motto is less is more (I tell my wife that too  ;D)

My regiment is daily dichlor in small amounts with a shot of TDS every other week.  Using it that little it doesn't affect my PH that much and my PH is usually in the right neighborhood.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 02:23:18 pm »
I only shock when necessary so I am not using a whole lot of MPS.  My pH rarely needs adjusting even though I use a non buffered non chlorine shock.  TDS never seems to be an issue for me and with my low amounts of dichlor I use, my CYA stays under control.

steve771

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 01:13:14 am »
Ok, gotcha.  If MPS lowers pH, does it also lower TA?  ???

txwillie

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 12:07:09 pm »
Do clarifiers ever cause foam? I recently tried Sea Klear 4 in 1 clarifier and now have foaming. Wonder if it related or coincidental and caused by something else?

Another question for those without 24 hr circ pumps or air BLOWERS. When the spa is not in use, should the air INJECTION be on or off during filter cycles? Does it make any difference? Was thinking that with the air on, the fine bubbles would give suspended particles something to grab onto and improve overall filtration (or is this just a plain dumb idea?)

Last, is it normal for the water to look pretty cloudy with the jets and air on high? Within a minute or two after the pumps turn off and the fine bubbles rise/dissipate the water is very clear.

txwillie

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 12:27:41 pm »
Another question for those without 24 hr circ pumps or air BLOWERS. When the spa is not in use, should the air INJECTION be on or off during filter cycles? Does it make any difference? Was thinking that with the air on, the fine bubbles would give suspended particles something to grab onto and improve overall filtration (or is this just a plain dumb idea?)

The air injector tends to have no effect when the pump is on filter cylce - at least in all the spas I've seen

Last, is it normal for the water to look pretty cloudy with the jets and air on high? Within a minute or two after the pumps turn off and the fine bubbles rise/dissipate the water is very clear.

Yep, that's normal, introduction of air into the water will temporarily decrease visibility.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 12:30:19 pm by empolgation »
e

txwillie

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004, 12:37:37 pm »
The air injector tends to have no effect when the pump is on filter cylce - at least in all the spas I've seen.

When you say the air injector has no effect, do you mean no benefit to the filtration, or no air injection on low speed? Mine still injects a fair amount of air at low speed.

txwillie

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2004, 12:57:38 pm »
I meant no air injection.

I had the same curiosity and experimented. Although my spa can have a small amount of air when the jets are on low speed - there is no noticible air when the pump is on the filter cycle only. If your spa does inject air on filter, I don't know if it would be beneficial or not but I would think it would help with the oxidation process
e

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004, 01:50:59 pm »
Clarifiers can cause foaming.  I use one sparingly (rarely).  Overuse can cause water issues.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004, 01:50:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42