What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time for a new cover?  (Read 4951 times)

xrdirthead

Time for a new cover?
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:49:51 pm »
I just noticed the inside of my cover is starting to come apart. The foam was wrapped with some kind of thin black plastic wrap and its cracking and falling apart.
The outside vinyl part seems fine. Is there a place online that offers the foam for the inside or should I just bite the bullet and purchase a whole new cover.....

Let me know where a good place online to pick up a new cover is...
Thanks,
Ed

Hot Tub Forum

Time for a new cover?
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:49:51 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Time for a new cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 08:17:08 pm »
Cost of the foam, $50 - $75 EACH piece. Cost of shipping $100 - $125.

Total $200 - $275

New cover - $300
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

xrdirthead

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 08:30:00 pm »
What a rip on shipping.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:19:56 pm »
The outside vinyl part seems fine. Is there a place online that offers the foam for the inside or should I just bite the bullet and purchase a whole new cover....

Problem is, the vinyl may look fine, but if it's over a couple of years old, it will be a very tight fit getting in onto a new set of foam cores. And you might very well get it all zipped up except the last half inch when a seam or a zipper lets go.

Go for a new cover. Try here:

Roberts

« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 06:54:42 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 12:34:12 am »
What a rip on shipping.

You might think so if completely unknolagable of the shipping industry. These are the costs to ship the product. PERIOD. This cost doesn't include any type of mark up. These are the costs to ship this type of product and what the shipping companies charge. Shipping is, and is going to quicky get, MUCH more expensive.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 05:10:55 am »
1 van trailer 44 feet long, full of my equipment from Duluth Minnesota to Pensacola Florida 2700 bucks. The driver proabably picked up a load someplace else for his return trip, it may have been as much as 500 miles away from Fl. but probably got 2700 to a min of 1500 for his return trip. it took him 6-8 days total 4200-5400 bucks. Aproxamitely 1400-1600 for fuel 400-600 meals and food, another 600-800 insurance, maintainence, depreciation other related cost. 1800-2400 bucks income for 1 long week. Truck payment if he's independent 1200-1500 a month divided by 4.2 = 286-357 that means he made 1500-2000 for an ugly weeks work. If he's not independent and someone else owns the truck he makes about 800-1000 a week cause the owner takes his cut also. Now if he has trouble getting a return load this changes everything may only make half as much or may have to get the same amount of money for 2 weeks work.
Retired

xrdirthead

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:18:19 pm »
Thanks everyone.
Chas,
Thanks for the link....I'll check 'em out....
this free tub is getting expensive....more expensive then the free hampsters the kids brought home from the MSPCA......ugh!!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:31:41 pm »
Didn't someone (zztop?) post that you could purchase pink styrofoam insulation that was 2-3 inches thick and put that in the cover?  the stuff should resist water.

It's not a great solution, but if $$ is an issue this could be used as a stop-gap.

At the very least it would be an interesting experiment.

-Ed

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 06:36:09 pm »
Didn't someone (zztop?) post that you could purchase pink styrofoam insulation that was 2-3 inches thick and put that in the cover?  the stuff should resist water.

-Ed

Water yes, if it's floated directly on top of the water. However, suspended over the water, extruded poly styrene will absorb steam and evaporation almost as fast as expanded poly styrene.......... you will though save a heck of a lot on shipping charges, though how you get a good tight fit in a vinyl bag that was designed for tapered foam is beyond me.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 09:18:22 pm »
Did I read that right? ???

He got a free tub and is whining about $100 in shipping?

Put it this way dirthead...you're still $8000.00 ahead of most of us! ::)

Steve

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 11:02:26 pm »
Rip on shipping????  That's pretty resonable considering many companies send them by rail, at which point a trucking company then delivers them to the final destination usually with a C.O.D.  Spa covers are't exactly small, and I'm pretty sure UPS and Fed EX charge up the ying yang to ship these puppies.  And I know for a fact that many dealers pay 75 to over 100$ for shipping on ONE cover, and the price doesn't goes down all that much when you lump a few covers together on the same order.  I've had issues many a times with trucking companies asking for C.O.D.'s, delivering damaged goods, etc.........

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 01:56:15 am »
UPS and FedX wont take covers, too big for them... too bad too.

You should be able to get 2 cover delivered for the price of one, and a third for not much more. 5 to 10 at a time is when the shipping starts to get reasonable...... at least with the shipping deals we have.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 04:05:49 am »
UPS and FedX wont take covers, too big for them... too bad too.

You should be able to get 2 cover delivered for the price of one, and a third for not much more. 5 to 10 at a time is when the shipping starts to get reasonable...... at least with the shipping deals we have.

Still offering the Auqa show special?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 09:10:30 am »
call me.

xrdirthead

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 11:04:23 am »
My comment on shipping was that its half the cost of the product. Thats all I meant.
I wish my tub was a 8k model but its not.  It's just a 4 by 6 with 4 jets....not much compared to what everyone else in here is soaking in.
If it gets used enough over the course of the next year I will purchase something nice for the yard.
So far my free tub has cost me 200 for the electrician to do the wiring, 50 for a couple of new filters, 50 for some nature 2, and I still have to order some more  chemicals....
plus its looking like at least 3 beans for a new cover....
just got in from a 12 hour overnight shift...can ya tell
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:06:51 am by xrdirthead »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 11:04:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42