What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tools every spa owner should own  (Read 9002 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Tools every spa owner should own
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 01:10:39 pm »
I understand where you are coming form Stuart but do you think it is a good idea for spa owners to nose around there spa pack with a volt meter.

Since I make a living off fixing home computers, I love when that happens! It means more money!  But seriously, as a person with less an average mechanical ablity, I know my limits and am real comforable with a multimeter.  My GFCI box recently had problems, but I was able to figure it out, but I know when to call in an electrician.  

The new multimeters are pretty safe too.  The old ones use to blow up if you tried to measure 240VAC and accidently left it on a low scale of resistance check.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 01:10:39 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 05:07:37 pm »
I understand where you are coming form Stuart but do you think it is a good idea for spa owners to nose around there spa pack with a volt meter. How many spas you and I had to go behind a fix a mess the spa owner made. I tell them they can do whatever they want but do not open the equipment pack.

Most service tech do not know how to trouble spas I sure do not want the owners making a mess of things.

Gary

Gary, it might be easier in GA than my area to convince a customer to have no hard feelings about charging them $85 to tell them they have to call an electrician but we find that difficult! I think everyone in this day and age should learn something as rudimentary as using a test meter. To me that's more important than figuring out how to operate a cappuccino maker..... ;)

I can’t tell you the money I have saved over the years by testing things myself and eliminating the obvious before calling a technician on many things. Besides, it’s really nice to know if a battery still has any charge before throwing it away! 8)

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 06:48:45 pm »
I think everyone in this day and age should learn something as rudimentary as using a test meter.

I cannot get my wife to figure out the remote. No way is she getting a multimeter, but when it comes to math she is a human calculator.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 08:12:41 pm »

I cannot get my wife to figure out the remote. No way is she getting a multimeter, but when it comes to math she is a human calculator.

Here's what my wife understands about a meter -

"That think does not belong on my kitchen counter! Leave it in your truck!"

(I think it scares her ;D!)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 09:56:23 pm »
As a medical repair tech, I have to say that having the "average" homeowner working  on hot tub electronics and electrical components is not something I personally would like to see.

I agree that being able to troubleshoot "things" is great, I've done it myself but having someone who doesn't know the dangers of electricity poking around and touching the wrong wire is dangerous.

poolboy34

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 10:56:05 pm »
I agree with vinny, customer saftey is of the utmost importance.  Plus there's liability issues there too.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 10:56:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42