What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals needed to clean tub thats been sitting  (Read 10470 times)

xrdirthead

Chemicals needed to clean tub thats been sitting
« on: December 07, 2004, 06:46:49 pm »
Hi,
I have a tub thats been sitting and would like some suggestions on cleaning the plumbing, motor, and shell.
I want to make sure I get the mold in the pipes and motor if there is any and anything else that might become a problem after filling it.
What chemicals do you use to clean your tub after a full drain.
Thanks,
Ed

maybe I should add "booze" to the subject line to get some feedback....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 11:12:34 pm by xrdirthead »

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals needed to clean tub thats been sitting
« on: December 07, 2004, 06:46:49 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Chemicals needed to clean tub thats been sitti
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:44:12 am »
I think you should start by scrubbing with a light detergent - I use "Citribrite" by Liesure Time, but dish detergent will do if you don't mind rinsing carefully to avoid sudsing.

Then rinse and fill the tub. Run the jets with the old filter in place if you can...

Run all the jets, balance the pH and TA. Add chlorine to bring it to 10ppm or so. This is a strong level of chlorine, so keep the lid open and don't plan on heating it and jumping in.

Let it run for an hour or so and then see what you have. If the water is clear and the test strip shows a high level of chlorine, you may be ready to swap in a clean filter and heat it. If the water is foamy, cloudy, or if there is a much lower level of chlorine after the hour with jets on, then you will want to drain and refill.

But at that point, you should be ready to begin using the tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 01:22:22 am »
If it has been sitting for a while you might want to also add a can of swirl away or something similar... it aids in cleaning the build up that may have accumulated in the plumbing....

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:26:07 am »
Hi Xrdirthead:

I saw this post earlier, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  All the traffic is in the "Artic" post, but that's getting a little BORING.

I recently moved my tub from my old house to my new house and it was sitting in the garage for about 3 months, empty.  Here's what I did:

Using a LIGHT mixture of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water, I completely scrubbed the interior with a soft brush, followed by a good rinse.  Following this, I mixed a 10% solution of bleach and water in a 5 gallon bucket and using a spray bottle, completly sprayed the interior shell, including the filter area (filters removed).  

I then poured the remaining solution down the suction pipes where the filters were until water drained from the suction inlets and circ pump outlet in the footwell.  I again sprayed the shell with water and let the bleach solution stay in the pipes overnight.  The next day I flushed everything, rinsed again and filled.

I didn't get any detergent foam using this method.  The tub ran "clean" and smelled good too.

Hope this helps...

Drewski

8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 10:26:42 am by Drewski »
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

xrdirthead

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 12:12:41 pm »
THANKS!
I'll get my wife right on it...hehe

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 02:55:36 pm »
Careful now,

last time I told my wife to go clean out the tub she did it.

In her golf shoes....

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

xrdirthead

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 04:51:38 pm »
LOL..
As I was down cleaning the tub I thought maybe I should have added "just kidding" to the end of my post.....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 04:51:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42