What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Running electrical today for Caldera spa.  (Read 4830 times)

mhraracing

Running electrical today for Caldera spa.
« on: December 04, 2004, 03:56:15 pm »
Hey guys......I am running the electrical today for my Caldera spa - Is there anything I should watch out for while running the main line from the main panel to the GFCI panel??

How about when the wires are run from the sub panel to the spa...any tricks or thing to look out for ??

For the main line - running 6/3 line off a 50amp breaker to the GFCI box.
Then the Caldera instructions state to use 10 and 12 wire to the spa but I wont have that run untill the spa gets here.

The one thing that is consistant in the instructions is to make sure you hook the White(neutral) wire to the 30 amp breaker in the GFCI panel.

Thanks for you help in advanced.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Running electrical today for Caldera spa.
« on: December 04, 2004, 03:56:15 pm »

UnderTheStars

Re: Running electrical today for Caldera spa.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 05:56:05 pm »
Is there anything I should watch out for while running the main line from the main panel to the GFCI panel??  . . . How about when the wires are run from the sub panel to the spa...any tricks or thing to look out for ??

Those are pretty broad questions.  Be sure you follow code and established wiring conventions.  Some guys view code as a pain, but it's designed to keep it safe.  If you are uncertain about anything, consult (or hire) a qualified electrician.  You can also consult your local building dept.  They are usually happy to look at your wiring plan on paper and advise.  They are the guys who provide your permit and schedule/complete the inspection.  (You're planning on having your wiring handiwork inspected, right?)

That's a pretty general answer to a pretty broad question.  Not trying to be a smart a--, but sitting in a tub of water connected to a 220 line is not the time to wonder if you did it right.
Stars

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 10:12:49 pm »
Sounds like you are planning on using jacketed cable, or "romex." I don't think that's a good idea for a 50 amp run. I know it makes things easier, but you end up with a smaller ground wire, and I don't think it will pass an inspection.

Go with 3/4" conduit, or 1" if you want it to be real easy to pull.

Don't mount the sub panel any closer than five feet to the water.

Add an extra circuit breaker to the sub panel for a courtesy outlet - seven to twenty feet from the tub - and make that outlet a GFI type in case your wife throws the electric rolling pin at you while you're in the tub.
;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 10:12:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42