What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Reliable ratings  (Read 4842 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Reliable ratings
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:14:04 pm »
I was just on another forum and the poolandspa.com rating system came up. I think it is important for consumers to understand how the stars are handed out.

http://www.poolandspa.com/page151.htm

This link outlines their advertising plans. $100K gets you 4*, $75K gets you 3 star.

Thought a friendly reminder was in order.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

Reliable ratings
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:14:04 pm »

rick

Re: Reliable ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 05:23:45 pm »
I've griped about their rating system before.  It is a sham.  For that reason, I do not frequent their website.  
There outta be law....

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 06:18:18 pm »
I stopped using their web ratings 3 years ago.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 07:14:33 pm »
Help me - I read the whole page, and didn't see where it said how much per star. Could you point out the heading or link so I can find it???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 08:51:34 am »
I actually started a thread on their forum earlier this year asking about how they get their ratings and this was the response I got from Simon...

Three individuals, (which must include a minimum of one Spa Service Person) hit the shows (usually Atlantic City and The National or Aqua Show) to evaluate the tubs.The ratings evaluation starts with a three page rating grid, anything rating higher then 634.5 points out of a possible 846 is listed as a 4 star. We have considered publishing the paperwork, but felt it would generate a lot of arguments.

They are gone over before and after show hours, and we prefer to go over them without reps from the company present. We do meet with a rep from the company during show hours and pose as a "possible dealer" to get a full presentation.

Simon
Sysop and Moderator
www.poolandspa.com

Not sure how much truth there is too it but their ratings do seem a bit 'off'.  I find it hard to believe that Gulf Coast is a 4 star in the same category as Hot Spring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, etc...

In any case, I too could not find anything in that advertising document that relates their 'rating' to an advertising package.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 09:03:32 am »
I've heard the story before also.  I don't think they'd publish that information on their website, it would totally nuke any credibility the ratings may have.
Brewman
Brewman

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 10:15:40 am »
It's pretty obvious that manufacturers PAY for their ratings.  Pool And Spa and spa search are both like that.  How else does one explain Thermosham, Crap Spas, and Bad Adventure spas getting Top Notch ratings?????

The best thing to do is to ask the dealers in your area WHY they chose to sell the brands that they carry.  And also ask for references, and customers of theirs that you can talk to to find out what they think of their spa AND the dealer they bought it from.  This will give you a more accurate depiction of what you are looking at.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 10:18:02 am »
Help me - I read the whole page, and didn't see where it said how much per star. Could you point out the heading or link so I can find it???

I know that you know this to be true Chas. Since you made that statement, I will address it.

My statement regarding the stars did not come from that page. If you purchase the $100K plan that is outlined, one of the benefits is the 4*

I doubt you are defending the credibility of that site....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:21:13 am by HotTubMan »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 10:20:08 am »
Two more inconsistencie in their site:

In 2003 Beachcomber went from 4-3-4-3 stars in a clender year? How is that possible?

This spring, Arctic went from "not rated" to 4* "best of class" overnight. Coincidentally, there advertising began to appear on that site around the same time......

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 10:24:51 am »
I've seen them at some shows..... They wear more clothing advertising their company than anyone else I've seen........ very inconspicuous indeed  :)

"They are gone over before and after show hours, and we prefer to go over them without reps from the company present. We do meet with a rep from the company during show hours and pose as a "possible dealer" to get a full presentation."

I just got done doing the Aqua show. Unless you had a badge saying you were an exhibitor, the guards would have shot you if you tired to get in before the show started. And at the end they kick you out.

Consumer reports at least explains the basics of how they come up with their ratings....... makes them a bit more credible.

I have a copy of the page, every time it's change,  going back 6 years. It becomes even more interesting comparing one year to the next.

Many companies that DO NOT display at shows mysteriously pop up in 3 or 4 star listings..... some just disappear the next year.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 11:08:52 am »
Well, my basic approach is to simply say that there are no reliable rating systems for tub. Like everyone else who sells these things, I wish there could be a consumers report or other more trustworty source, but there really is not.

Consumers Digest even raises a fair share of controversy - though HS has been rated a 'best buy' five times.

Stick with the basics: find a company which has been in business a long time. Read the warranty before you buy. Talk to folks who own them. Wet test.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 02:26:12 pm »
I said Consumer Reports.......... Consumers Digest is all paid for adverttising. Last I talked to them, the Best Buy was $10k, but it's been quite a few years and I'm sure now a lot more.

However, there's also a bit of contoverseray with Consumer Reports

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 08:38:33 pm »
Dang it Andy - let's just do it. You tell Robert, I'll tell Hope, and we'll just walk away from what we're doing and launch a spa-rating business. There has to be a fortune to be made, right !??

And we can do the testing ourselves, in a cold climate. I'm thinking the north shore of Oahu, or some such. Very windy in the winter there.

Are you on board??

If you say yes before midnight tonight, I’ll get you a shop manual for your ‘3.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 10:52:45 pm »
DUDE! I'm right there with you! But I was thinking somewhere with a little more extreme weather...... How's St. Luca sound? Maybe we should move the testing facility on a monthly basis or so. Tahiti one month. Greece would be a good tresting ground for a couple of months

and it's a 4, not 3...... can you really get a shop manual?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 01:13:46 am »
DUDE! I'm right there with you! But I was thinking somewhere with a little more extreme weather...... How's St. Luca sound? Maybe we should move the testing facility on a monthly basis or so. Tahiti one month. Greece would be a good tresting ground for a couple of months

and it's a 4, not 3...... can you really get a shop manual?

Sorry bud. I figured as long as we were dreaming....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 01:13:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42