What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Tahitian Or HS Vanguard?  (Read 4331 times)

hawkman

Caldera Tahitian Or HS Vanguard?
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:06:52 am »
I've tried the Vanguard  and going to try the Caldera tonight. Just wanted some thoughts on either one. Seems you get a little more wow factor with the caldera for the same price while the HS is premium priced with not alot of extras.

For example the Caldera comes with the Ozinator, cover and lifter, the LED, and the outside lights. Has 2 pumps etc.

My thought is that HS can ask a premium price for the HS name while not giving any perks.

Your thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Tahitian Or HS Vanguard?
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:06:52 am »

Chris_H

Re: Caldera Tahitian Or HS Vanguard?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 11:26:42 am »

Hawkman,

I understand you assessment.  Most consumers only see how many pumps and jets a spa has, and make a decision based on those items.  However, a portable spa is much more than pumps and jets.  

Did you know the filtration on the Hotspring is substantially better than the Caldera?  
Ask yourself when you own the spa what is important to you?  Two answers most consumers will say is clean water and great therapy.  Hotspring has one of the best filtration systems available.  The great therapy answer can only be answered by the consumer.

Did you know the warranty on the cabinet for the Caldera is 3 years instead on 5 years for the Hotspring?

Those are just two reasons why the Hotspring is more expensive than the Caldera.  If I spend more than 2 minutes thinking of reasons I probably could find 8 or 10 more reasons.

Chris

hawkman

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:34:30 am »
Good things to point out. I've been shopping for a year on and off. Tired the Envoy and it beat me to death on one of the seats even with the pressure turned down. Wet Tests are the BEST!

We will see what happens tonight with the Caldera.

poolboy34

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 11:37:50 am »
Caldera and Hot Spring Spas are both made by one the industries top manufacturers in terms of customer service, dealer support and over quality of its products.  Watkins manufacturing makes both Caldera & Hot Spring Spas.  Either way you will be getting a GREAT product that is fully supported by not only the dealer who you purchase it from but also the manufacturer that makes the spa.  The wet test will most likely be your deciding factor in your decision.  If you have any specific questions relating to either of the brands there are quite a few individuals who post regularly here that will be happy to help you.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 11:39:09 am »
You can ask both salesmen and they'll each tell you why their tub is better. The reality is both of these spas are very good brands. Often people narrow it down and spend a great deal of time comparing and pondering and then take the wet test and find that it clearly points in one direction. Take the wet tests and see if one shows itself as the better candidate though you may find in this case that both do the trick.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr_Eclat

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 11:46:10 am »
Or neither.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:10:34 pm »
I'm prejudiced...I love my Vanguard!!!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

UnderTheStars

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 05:52:55 pm »
yep, me too on the "I love my Vanguard!"  It's a great product, and just seems to keep getting better.   (Hmm, is that possible?)

Hawkman, you didn't comment on what you thought of the Vanguard after the w.test.  How about a report after tonight's test?  I'd be really interested in your side-by-side report of the Caldera/Vanguard experience.
Stars

mhraracing

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 09:03:50 pm »
Hawkman,

I understand you assessment.  Most consumers only see how many pumps and jets a spa has, and make a decision based on those items.  However, a portable spa is much more than pumps and jets.  

Did you know the filtration on the Hotspring is substantially better than the Caldera?  
Ask yourself when you own the spa what is important to you?  Two answers most consumers will say is clean water and great therapy.  Hotspring has one of the best filtration systems available.  The great therapy answer can only be answered by the consumer.

Chris

We wet tested both tubs as the dealer we purchased from sells both lines.....We ended up buying  the Caldera after the wet test.  

To comment on the filtration systme on the HotSprings - I have a friend that owns an Envoy and he says the the 5 filters that his tub has is sometimes a pain in the A--. He understand that 100% of the water is filtered but the 5 filters is sometimes very combersome when it comes to cleaning time. - Just something to think about. Im sure the experts on this site can give you all the pros and cons of each tub...but coming from a non-expert this is something to think about.
But take this with a grain of salt....if after wet testing and you like the Hot Springs - go with it...as my friend is kinda lazy - so maybe he is exagerating his filter dilemma. - Maybe its the wonderfull relaxation his envoy provides him ??
Caldera Geneva Utopia

hawkman

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 09:20:47 pm »
Ok I did the WT on the Tahitian and the Niagra by Caldera. I have to say, although I know the the HS name is the most precious names in Hot Tubs, the Caldera has it beat in terms of features and performance for the price.

I think I am going with the Niagra for these reasons.

1. Seats 7 with a large foot well so you arent playing footsy.

2. Can take the jets off and place the in other seats. I tried this and it made the other seat feel like a different seat altogether.

3. Outside and inside lighting

4. More jets that are also more powerful

5. Can turn on the bubbler - sends air bubbles through the jets and the whole tub starts to bubble

6. In the foot well there is a raised panel that you brace yourself which makes it nice

7. Nice neck massage in the captian chair

8. The jets seem to really hit the muscles whereas the Vanguard had those 2 moto massage jets that really didn't feel like it was hitting the right spot.

9. Comes with the OZ, cover, and lift.

10. Two pumps instead of one

Nice about the Vanguard -
1. Better foot jet
2. 100% filtration - no bypass
3. 2 year longer warranty on the cabinet (although they say it is the exact same cabinet but with a different name)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 10:20:45 pm »
To comment on the filtration systme on the HotSprings - I have a friend that owns an Envoy and he says the the 5 filters that his tub has is sometimes a pain in the A--. He understand that 100% of the water is filtered but the 5 filters is sometimes very combersome when it comes to cleaning time. - Just something to think about.
Just curious: does your friend also own, or has he owned a spa with a single, large filter? I'm just wondering what kind of comparison he has made....

The Envoy filters can be put into the dishwasher.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mhraracing

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 07:13:09 pm »
Chas - this is his first tub - so he cant compare to anything else.  Dont get me wrong - he loves the Tub - wouldnt trade it for anything....he just mentioned to me that when I was comparing HS to Caldera that I should take that into consideration.
FWIW - The 5 filters was not a deciding factor as to why we went with Caldera.  - I actually think 5 filters is the way to go. I wish caldera had the same set up.  
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 07:13:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42