What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filtration  (Read 9320 times)

matthewc

Filtration
« on: November 29, 2004, 03:02:04 pm »
Hi Guys

I have recently had a power cut and all of my control pannel settings have gone back to default. Can anyone tell me how long i should run my filtration and Ozonator for per day?

Thanks

MAtt

Hot Tub Forum

Filtration
« on: November 29, 2004, 03:02:04 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Filtration
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:07:44 pm »
Make and model?

Size?

Do you recall about how much you had them running before? I always say to run the filter the shortest amount which keeps the water looking the way you want it.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
Make and model?

Size?

Do you recall about how much you had them running before? I always say to run the filter the shortest amount which keeps the water looking the way you want it.

Agreeing with the ever-wise Chas.  One additional question, how long have you owned your tub? My filtration is settable in 2 hour increments from 0-24 hours.  Initially I found a setting of 10 hours a day kept the water in good shape. But after a year of that and getting a better idea of how to keep my water in good shape I have dropped that back to 8 hours a day.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 03:13:19 pm »
Hopefully there is a default schedule programmed into the controller (my controller has such)....if so, try it and see if it will satisfy your requirements.  Good luck.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

matthewc

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:24:59 pm »
Hi Guys

Sorry for the lack of info.

My tub is a Nordic Rendezvous which holds about 1800L.
The control pannel manual says that the filters will always run at 12 hour intervals, but that you can change the time on from 0 to 12 hours. After a power cut it reverts to 4 hours on twice a day. However as this is standard for the SpaBuilders controller it may not be best for my tub. I have had the tub for about 2 months and so far the water looks pretty good. My guess is that the supplier i brought it from just leaves it at the standard time, but i would like to be a bit more scientific if possible.

Matt

hawkman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 03:47:04 pm »
Why is it that the Hot Springs dont come on during the day for a cycle and only rely on the circulation pump?  ???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 04:14:55 pm »
Two reasons: one, they have a constant flow through one of the filters via a small circ pump. That tends to do a small amount of filtering on an ongoing basis.

Then, they have lots of filtration when the jets are running. They filter all the water which the pumps move, not just a portion of it.

As a result, most people don't need additional filtration cycles. But if you find you want a cycle, you can hit the 'clean' button and run the jets for about ten minutes. That will do what other tubs take an hour or more to do.

And they have found that you usually only need such extra cycles in ralation to use: meaning usually after you get out of the tub.

It works quite well, actually.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 04:48:27 pm »
As a result, most people don't need additional filtration cycles. But if you find you want a cycle, you can hit the 'clean' button and run the jets for about ten minutes. That will do what other tubs take an hour or more to do.

How is it filtering more in ten minutes than other spas that are filtering for an hour or more?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 05:24:32 pm »

How is it filtering more in ten minutes than other spas that are filtering for an hour or more?

Because HS tubs do not bypass the filters. All the water the pumps move is going through a filter. On a spa with a single filter, such as our Tiger River tubs for example, you move about the same amount of water, but you will filter only half, or less. Much less as the filte gets loaded up.

So - you can filter in ten minutes what a bypass tub will take an hour or more to do. Why do you think so many people post here saying that they have to run their spas four hours, twice a day - or more - to keep the water clean?

windsurfdog

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 08:28:17 am »
Chas,
If left unattended for a 24 hour period, do the HotSprings therapy pumps come on automatically for a period of time or does just the 24 circ pump run by itself for the entire period? ???
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 11:51:30 am »
Ok, so no water bypasses the filters when the jet pumps are on..................playing devils advocate, what happens if by chance someone gets their hair, bathing suit, shirt sleeve etc...caught in the filter well????  There must be some sort of safety measure that senses a restriction of flow that would shut the pumps off????  I have heard this in sales seminars and feel that it is a scare tactic, which btw we do not use and I will add that I hope no one would stoop to using scare tactics to sell their product.

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 12:11:04 pm »
Ok, so no water bypasses the filters when the jet pumps are on..................playing devils advocate, what happens if by chance someone gets their hair, bathing suit, shirt sleeve etc...caught in the filter well????  There must be some sort of safety measure that senses a restriction of flow that would shut the pumps off????

.....hence the emergency pair of scissors located in the filter compartment....... ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 12:20:59 pm »
Ok, so no water bypasses the filters when the jet pumps are on..................playing devils advocate, what happens if by chance someone gets their hair, bathing suit, shirt sleeve etc...caught in the filter well????

Well, I have a two-fold answer. One, our tubs (And Jacuzzi) were the very first tubs to be UL listed. We helped write the UL standard, as well as the ANSI standard. Now - even though our tubs are listed through ETL - we still build and test to that same UL standard, which has been updated over the years for better safety. As a result, we couldn't send tubs out which could trap people.

If you want a scare tactic,  look at in-ground tubs, particularly older concrete/gunite ones. Those are the only ones which have harmed people in suction accidients. And even then, it almost always happened as a result of somebody removing a floor drain cover or a repairman who removed a valve or installed a different pump.. this stuff just doesn't involve self-contained spas, UL listed or not.

Secondly, take an honest look at a HotSpring spa filter area. There are vents near the bottom of the filter area, there is a sliding weir, and a cover which lifts off. And inside, are two, three, four or even five filters - depending on model. All HotSpring tubs have two filters (or more) per jet pump. So if you somehow manage to form yourself into a non-human shape and do, in fact, manage to get yourself wrapped around one of the filters, you will only feel the slightest motion as the water simply begins to flow from the other filter or filters.

The filters draw from a surface area of 30 to 60 feet, and have more filters on the same line.  Try it yourself: go to a showroom and run the jets on any HS tub. Try the HP models for the max flow - that would be an Envoy or a Vista. Run all the pumps, open the filter lid and put your hand on one of the filters. You will not feel suction - you might feel water flow, but you will not feel suction.  Now as you're standing there, try to imagine how on earth you would ever wrap yourself around two or more of those filters at the same time... And hair is not an issure either, as the pleats have a limited depth which cannot grab onto  hair.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 12:25:06 pm »
But if some mischevious teenagers decided to remove the filters, then stick their heads into the intake, by golly you'd have a real mess on your hands!

(This was actually stated by the one who shall not be mentioned.)

Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 12:28:22 pm »
But if some mischevious teenagers decided to remove the filters, then stick their heads into the intake, by golly you'd have a real mess on your hands!

(This was actually stated by the one who shall not be mentioned.)

Brewman

Well, this is what I like to refer to as, "error." Some would call it an easily proven lie....

Go ahead: take the filter(s) out. You will be looking at a plastic standpipe with carefully designed grills up and down all sides - still safe. The UL testers are generally smarter than your average teenager...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 12:28:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42