What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Test Kits  (Read 9556 times)

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
Re: Test Kits
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 11:11:12 pm »
Stuart,
We are a non-Walmart family here for many reasons, #1 is customer service. I hate to shop, but when I do, please be able to answer some questions and save me a trip back because I may not have bought the right stuff. This morning we went out to buy a few presents and it was pretty sad to go to a strip mall in NH where there were 5 empty store fronts with a Walmart! After that we did drive the 10 miles out of our way to our spa store to pick up chemicals and it was nice to be able to ask about what filter cleaner to use and if the strips we were using were okay.
A great book to read is Nickel and Dimed in America and it is about a woman trying to live on minimum wage jobs, the part where she works at Walmart is a hoot, b/c she keeps talking to other employees about UNIONS! Which is not allowed,  ;)
But back to the topic, we use a 4 way test strip from bioguard which tests for total bromine ( which we don't need), free chlorine, ph and total alkalinity. The spa has been great and we test once a week, and that is working fine for us.
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 11:11:12 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 12:43:31 am »
I read an article about how shopping trends have changed in the past few years. The author was convinced that more and more of us do our research online, choose the item we think will best serve our need, and then go to a brick and mortar store to purchase it, after making sure that it is the same IRL as we expected.  Often, we take a printout of the web site or info page with us, with the price on it of course, to see if the megastore in our town will match the price of the online superstore.

This is exactly what I do for most things, and I was amazed at how he nailed it. So - if the best price for something I have searched out happens to be at Best Buy, but that's too far to drive, I just go to Circuit City and ask the manager to price match. They usually do. I haven't been to WalMart in years. Note: I didn't say I look for the lowest price first. I look for the particular item that will meet my needs best. Then once I have chosen which thingamabob I'm going to shop for, I go in search of the best price for that particular brand and model.

But since I happen to sell something that can't be price shopped the way a digital camera or cellular phone can be, I decided that my customers were going to get exceptional service - from the moment they walk into the door to the warranty service they hopefully won't need.

From that point on, I told all my sales staff about the article, and encouraged them to be sure that our customers feel that they are in the right place, looking at the right thing at the right time. I know they would love it if there was another HotSpring dealer a block over so they could beat my kids' college money out of me, but there's not. So I try to make it up to them by offering what I hope will be exceptional service. And we have a lot of fun at it too....  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 08:57:07 am »
I got the test kit from Walmart due to price, I'll admit it.  I do not though get my chems from there.  I cannot get them from my dealer as they are over an hour away.  I do try to use Docs site for my chems but on the occasion that I need something fast I do go to a local spa dealer in my town (they sell another brand of tub).  We due try to support the local mom and pop stores instead of the walmarts, but on some paychecks it is alittle hard.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 11:00:57 am »
I got the test kit from Walmart due to price, I'll admit it.  I do not though get my chems from there.  I cannot get them from my dealer as they are over an hour away.  I do try to use Docs site for my chems ...  
That's very important - it allows him to have more cash with which to buy us all dinner in Vegas this week.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
First, I will say that I believe that ALL the professionals here are a cut above most dealers that I went to to shop for my tub. I wish I was able to support your businesses.

What Stuart and Chas said is correct, give excellent customer service and correct advise and you'll have happy customers and repeat customers.

In my example of the algaecide, 60% polyquat is 60% polyquat, the only difference is the dealer sold Bioguard and Walmart sold HTH - it probably is true that due to Walmart's storing of the product the HTH was less effective than the Bioguard. But all things being equal they will work the same. But if all things are equal why pay $24 vs $13. If it was $18, I might not have been as upset.

What Chas said about getting together with other retailers was something I was going to mention - retailers are doing that here.

Business models have changed and the 1970's mall has been replaced by the 1990's strip mall and the Walmart's and big box store. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get bargains. When I build my deck in the spring, I am going to a lumber yard to get the best quality wood and the best advice I can get - Home Depot and Lowes just won't cut it - I will pay a premium for the service and quality that I want.

But maybe retailers can find alternate sources for their products to help them compete price wise. You may sell a certain brand of tub - but what about the chems, Bioguard (my example) may be a premium product but is it that much better than all the other products - probably not. Doc sells a dichlor on his website that has 62% available dichlor - haven't found another dichlor (internet shopping) that matches it. I've seen 52%, 55% and 56%, if the price is the same (actually Doc's is better) - why not purchase it.

I know this post is way off track so to bring it back...

... it sounds like it all depends on what you want in a test kit; Taylor uses the DPD test method and can test for FC and TC, the OTO test  kits test for TC and if the water isn't too full of chloramines then it will work fine and some people like the test strips and find that their accurate enough.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 11:07:12 am by Vinny »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 11:10:41 am »
Vin,

That was a great post, and loved how you got us back on topic at the end. I agreed with the whole thing, except one item:  Don't use WOOD man!! Are you nuts? The stuff is so 'last year!!' Go with anything but wood!!

;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 11:19:45 am »
Chas,

The decking is going to be composite either Timbertech or Trex (depends on the what the wife likes!) - I was referring to the structure - I've seen and gone through tons of the HD wood.

Vinny

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 11:47:11 am »
PHEW!!

Ok then.  

Wow,

that was close.

;)

Go here for a cool online deck design tool:
DIY

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 11:47:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42