What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: interesting scam artist.........  (Read 4445 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
interesting scam artist.........
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:51:56 pm »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

interesting scam artist.........
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:51:56 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: interesting scam artist.........
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:49:53 am »
I found 3 of the people who complained on Ebay and not a one left a negative feedback to warn others. (None that shows anyway.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:04:10 am »
looks like a real weiner.......er......winner, my bad.  :-[
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 05:34:20 pm »
I swear that's the turdburgler who came into my store with Stacey Diego a few months ago.  I tried to get a copy of their license plate but my eyes aren't too good and they took off in a hurry when I started getting suspicious.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:37:05 pm »
I swear that's the turdburgler who came into my store with Stacey Diego a few months ago.  I tried to get a copy of their license plate but my eyes aren't too good and they took off in a hurry when I started getting suspicious.

Terminator

With the infamous Stacey Diego? They're the Bonnie and Clyde of the spa industry. Consider yourself lucky.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:57:18 pm »
I do have a question and maybe a stupid question because I don't really buy anything on ebay but ...

People "wired" him money - aren't you supposed to go through Paypal and your money is protected? Or use a credit card and again your protected?

I wouldn't buy anything over $50.00 on ebay let alone $1,000's.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:49:08 am »
I do have a question and maybe a stupid question because I don't really buy anything on ebay but ...

People "wired" him money - aren't you supposed to go through Paypal and your money is protected? Or use a credit card and again your protected?

I wouldn't buy anything over $50.00 on ebay let alone $1,000's.

I've bought a few things over E-bay for up to $500.  
I use pay pal that is linked to a credit/debit card. I never had a problem in the 4 years I've shopped on ebay.

My latest indulgence is: (I'm a batman nut. This was a birthday present)

I need to figure out how to connect this to my home bar so that a panel slides open. I am wondering if the motors that "pop" up speakers use with the rubber belts would work?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 08:53:58 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 10:58:50 am »
We wired over $3k for a motorcycle sight unseen to someone in San Diego in 02.  Once he had the money we drove down there and picked up the bike.  I felt a little weird doing it, but a) the guy had all positive feedback b)all he sold were motorcycles c)it was a great deal d) we are risk takers.

Now, a year or so later my brother was going to buy a plasma tv off of ebay for about 1/2 price.  I looked at the listing for him and told him I thought it was a scam.  The guy was in Spain, he wanted money wired through Western Union, and in his ID he had never sold plasma tv's.  My brother was on his way to do it when I called him on his cell and told him to wait.  Turned out I was right and this guy had stolen someone with positive feedbacks ID and was scamming $10s of thousands.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 12:20:48 pm »
We wired over $3k for a motorcycle sight unseen to someone in San Diego in 02.  ...

So you didn't go through Paypal, ebay or credit card to protect yourself?

drewstar, I can understand the credit card buying as you are protected from what I understand ... BTW cool statue, I will assume this is 1960's vintage Batman. My parents made me a cape with a hood so I could run around as Batman ... People look at me weird all the time! ;) ;D

Just kidding, It was in the 60's and I was under 10 YO - life was so great back then!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:14:54 pm »
My parents made me a cape with a hood so I could run around as Batman ... People look at me weird all the time! ;) ;D

Is it because all you have on is the cape and hood?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 01:55:36 pm »

So you didn't go through Paypal, ebay or credit card to protect yourself?

No, we went to our bank (Bank of America) and paid like $40 for a wire transfer directly to his bank account.  He didn't take any other form of payment nor would he let us bring cash when we picked up the bike.

It was a leap of faith, but it was all on the up and up.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 02:30:51 pm »

I don't question this guy should be behind bars at all.

A couple of things I do question however...

It's a little tough to feel sorry for these people wiring money for an item on the internet. It's buyer beware people and although no one deserves to loose money this way, I'm not totally shocked. They shouldn't be either.

Does EBay except any responsibility and are they liable in any way?

So the guy claims bankruptcy and then what???? I’m guessing he was set up as a Limited Company so his personal assets are separate.  

Steve

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:49:26 am »
Well............ my sister recently spent over 11 grand for a car on ebay........... She's currently considering an offer of 15 grand for it...

I just spent 16k on a new (used) CnC fabric cutter that was in Canada, and listed on ebay. It needs about 4k of work (that I was expecting)...... The closest thing to it I can find is 90k.

On the other hand, I used to sell cover lifters on ebay. The bidding frequently went over $150........ for a lifter I sold for $125 on my web site.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 07:41:43 am »
I guess I'm out of touch with the reality of ebay. I'm also a New Yorker. I trust some things but not all. I would spend money over the internet as long as I have some guaranty that IF something went wrong I would be protected (credit card, paypal ...).

I give you credit to do business with a person sight unseen, communicating via e-mail and no insurance of getting your money back "just in case".

Yes, I do business with Doc the same way but I was on his website for over 1 year, people on there ordered things and I ordered via credit card - my guaranty that IF I was to not get my stuff, I wouldn't be out money.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 09:14:38 am »
Well............ my sister recently spent over 11 grand for a car on ebay........... She's currently considering an offer of 15 grand for it...

I just spent 16k on a new (used) CnC fabric cutter that was in Canada, and listed on ebay. It needs about 4k of work (that I was expecting)...... The closest thing to it I can find is 90k.

On the other hand, I used to sell cover lifters on ebay. The bidding frequently went over $150........ for a lifter I sold for $125 on my web site.

i have a friend who has bought several cars via e-bay.

Of course there's the one sitting in his barn that didn't come with a clean title and was later it was discoverd was actually stolen.   The authorities want it back, and the guy who sold it to him is gone..... :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:15:12 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 09:14:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42