What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lower pH w/o TA?  (Read 3419 times)

steve771

Lower pH w/o TA?
« on: November 14, 2004, 12:18:23 am »
I have been trying to lower my pH (it is about 7.8 now), but the TA has been dropping as well (it is about 90).  I don't want to lower the TA, but I need to get the pH a little lower.  Suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Lower pH w/o TA?
« on: November 14, 2004, 12:18:23 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Lower pH w/o TA?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 12:28:40 am »
drop them both just a bit more - then let them settle for a day.  The TA may rebound by itself. If not, add baking soda - maybe an ounce. Tends to raise the TA faster than pH.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

steve771

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 01:09:02 pm »
Thanks Chas, I'll give it a try.  :)

Oh, and the pH down I'm using is crystal form.  It is ok (better, worse?) to dissolve it in water prior to adding it, or does it lose some effectiveness?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 01:09:54 pm by steve771 »

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 01:30:47 pm »
I read on another forum to dissolve crystals in water and add to our water but do not start the pumps for at least a half hour and then run the for a half hour because the acid can do damage to your pumps if you run them right away. For what it's worth the bottle of PH down I have says to add to water and start pumps for a half hour.
Maybe some of the mavins can chime in say what is right or wrong or does it make any difference.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 03:44:28 pm »
I toss it into the filter area and run the pumps for ten minutes. Seems to do no damage.

If you want to be more careful, you could add the product to a bucket of warm water, stir, and then pour that into the tub. Run the jets just for a couple of seconds to start the water into motion but not draw the acid into the pumps.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

steve771

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 12:51:02 am »
Yeah, Oskar, isn't it amazing how one source says "do it this way" and another says something else.  I'm not talking about the people on these boards, but about the printed books out there.  You would think science would dictate how things are done!  (and yes, I do have the taylor test kit book, and I think it is as comprehensive as anything, but a little difficult to read in places)

I try to go by a common sense approach, and I do ask questions here.  Chas' direction of dissolving the product into a bucket of water makes sense.  It was what I was thinking, I just wondered if that somehow altered the chemistry and/or effectiveness.  It is really nice to have a resource like this to turn to, 'cause sometimes you just want to bounce an idea off someone.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 12:51:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42