What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Tech certifications?  (Read 7721 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Spa Tech certifications?
« on: November 12, 2004, 10:18:36 am »
Was wondering about spa tech certifications.....are there any that are nationally recognized?  If so, what are they?  Are they generic or brand specific or, possibly, controller specific?  If there are none, would it be a good idea to establish some type of formal certification that could be displayed by retailers thereby generating a greater interest from consumers?  Or do you think consumers would even care?

The floor is open to both retailers and consumers.......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Tech certifications?
« on: November 12, 2004, 10:18:36 am »

poolboy34

Re: Spa Tech certifications?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 10:42:36 am »
manufacturers have training seminars for their dealers to get certified to fix there spas.  I'm not sure if these seminars are open to techs that don't work for dealers selling those spas or not.  Perhaps someone knows???  

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 11:57:25 am »
I think its a good idea, if an outside co. can come up with some sort of certification. Comptia does it for the computer industry, so maybe someone in NPSI can put together a program? Who knows ...

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 02:03:25 pm »
I just returned from Gecko (spa control pack) training through Artesian Spas in California.  There was a good mix of dealers, their technicians, as well as techs who worked for general spa service companies (not retailers).  Though I'm in sales, I will now be a Certified Spa Technician (assuming that I passed the test...).  The Pentair Water people were at the seminar as well, so we were given information on the white goods (jets, etc.) as well as the pumps.  All in all it was very informative and interesting.

So, that doesn't fully answer your question, but it's a start.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 03:02:47 pm »
Certification- yes, but only through manufacturer seminars, not a third party such as an accredited technical school or government agency.

The manufacturer seminars are usually only conducted for the benefit of dealers and their staff- I'm sure its possible that some might let you sit in if you pay for training and their materials- but most keep this exclusive so the competition wont exploit propriety information or product vunerabilities.

NSPI offers correspondance courses to this end,... offers no hands on training as far as I know and isn't accredited like a junior college or vocational school would be.

Such certification, would help a technician sell his skills, but I question how this might benefit a consumer- I've met a few techs that claim they've had factory training and years of experience and still do some really bone-headed things to spas.

Unless there's a licencing bureau and standard testing, certification is only as good as the paper its printed on.

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 07:04:31 pm »
SurfDog, Are you looking for some side work?  For a nominal fee I will print you out a tech certificate.   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:06:52 pm »
Cgar mentioned Gecko and Pentair training. If I was to hire a technician, what would impress more than spa manufacturer certification would be spa component manufacturer training. If you have trained with Balboa, Gecko, Waterway, Pentair and Sta-rite you should be able to service just about any tub. Spatechs?
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 08:44:44 am »
Great responses--thanks for your time and opinions......

Cgar said:
I just returned from Gecko (spa control pack) training through Artesian Spas in California.  There was a good mix of dealers, their technicians, as well as techs who worked for general spa service companies (not retailers).  Though I'm in sales, I will now be a Certified Spa Technician (assuming that I passed the test...).  The Pentair Water people were at the seminar as well, so we were given information on the white goods (jets, etc.) as well as the pumps.  All in all it was very informative and interesting.

So, that doesn't fully answer your question, but it's a start.

That's exactly the type of info for which I was looking.  Do you own your own business?  If so, how will you advertise you new certs?  Or if you work for a spa retailer, will he/she use this in any type of marketing?

Spa_Tech said:
Such certification, would help a technician sell his skills, but I question how this might benefit a consumer- I've met a few techs that claim they've had factory training and years of experience and still do some really bone-headed things to spas.

From the consumer's point of view, knowing a dealer had certified techs on staff would be an influence on my purchase decision.  And, as a certified Oracle DBA, I agree with your last statement as well......just taking a passing the test does not guarantee competency BUT the chances of competent skills are increased with a person who cares enough about his area of expertise to take the trouble to gain certification.

Salesy said:
SurfDog, Are you looking for some side work?

Naah, but if given the opportunity to go to Balboa's technical certification classes (if they have them like Cgar's Gecko experience), I'd go in a heartbeat just to learn more about the one piece of my spa that is the most complicated.

HTM said:
Cgar mentioned Gecko and Pentair training. If I was to hire a technician, what would impress more than spa manufacturer certification would be spa component manufacturer training. If you have trained with Balboa, Gecko, Waterway, Pentair and Sta-rite you should be able to service just about any tub.

I agree with you wholeheartedly especially since most spas share component manufacturers.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 10:32:03 am »
'wetone' owns the store and I am in retail spa sales.  I was sent down for training for several reasons: 1/ increased product knowledge; 2/ the ability to diagnose service challenges on the phone (as the clients that I have been fortunate to serve will typically ask for me when they call in with a service issue); and 3/ so that I can moonlight as a spa service tech  ;D

As for how my new certification will be marketed,  'wetone' will have to answer that.  I do know of an amazing sales representative in the sunroom industry who started out in construction/installation of the product.  When he moved into a sales capacity, he would tell his prospective clients that he was just a carpenter, but would do his best to help them out.  This approach brought him amazing results as his prospective clients would instantly feel comfortable with him, knowing that he wasn't about to 'pitch' them.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 11:56:32 am »

Unless there's a licencing bureau and standard testing, certification is only as good as the paper its printed on.

I agree. It is the same (as mentioned about the pc certs) there are those out there that have the certs but I wouldn't let them near any of my pcs!  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 02:04:59 pm »
I repair medical equipment and I've seen good techs and bad. Although we have certification in my industry, I view it as a joke (I'm not certified), give me a tech who can really troubleshoot and repair equipment effectively  and it doesn't matter if he/she has that piece of paper.

A 20 year veteran doesn't have to be good nor does a 2 year novice have to be bad! I had this argument with one of my techs just this year (of course she was a "bad" tech) - having years in a service industry doesn't mean that you have the knowledge, talent or do the same quality work as your "peer" - putting in time isn't enough (this went over like a lead balloon).

As far as OEM training is concerned (at least in my industry) - what are they teaching? Is it how to troubleshoot an error code and what to do once you find the problem or teach you about the error codes. One is great, the other is useless to a technician.

Just my 2 cents from a tech in a different industry.

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 04:13:39 pm »
I repair medical equipment and I've seen good techs and bad. Although we have certification in my industry, I view it as a joke (I'm not certified), give me a tech who can really troubleshoot and repair equipment effectively  and it doesn't matter if he/she has that piece of paper.

I agree with you with this one caveate:  Those techs that do care to take the time, put in the study effort and and take the tests show that they care about their profession and their professionalism in an overt way outside of their on-the-job performance, good or otherwise.  A piece of paper alone does not a good tech make....and it's exactly the same with diplomas or any other piece of paper.  Yet, I certainly would give credence to tech who displayed the motivation of obtaining globally recognized certification.
8)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 09:06:03 pm »
Windsurfdog,

I agree with your view, it was one way that I wasn't looking at. In my industry, there's a sort of snobbery on certified techs vs non-certified. Basically, to be certified it's passing a long test and having the time in. Of course this is from a non-certified tech. Interesting though, there are more uncertified than certified and I don't know why - I know very few people who actually went to be certified.

I did have a non certified tech that ate, breathed and slept our profession (kind of like Stuart - LOL). He was too intense, I'm really good at what I do (IMO of course) and I believe he is better. He would be the type of person of which you speak of.

Vinny

windsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 07:16:37 am »
Windsurfdog,

I agree with your view, it was one way that I wasn't looking at. In my industry, there's a sort of snobbery on certified techs vs non-certified.

Interesting that it is that way with your profession.

In the database admin. field, I don't find the ones who have certification (like myself) to make as big a deal of having it as those who don't have it making a big deal of its "worthlessness".  I'll also say that certification was a big factor in getting my present job.....well worth the effort just for that.

Knowing you as I do here on this board, believe me when I say that you would CERTAINLY get the nod over anyone, certified or not, should my medical equip. need repair (......I've got this iron lung........ ;D)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 08:57:32 am »
I am honored!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 08:57:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42