What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: scum is driving me nuts  (Read 8211 times)

txwillie

scum is driving me nuts
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:50:42 pm »
I'm new to the spa thing. Exactly 2 months since delivery/fill. I have a Marquis Quest with the SpaFrog bromine and mineral inline cartridges and UV ozone. I've had in ground pools for the last 8 years and the chem balance on those was no problem, but this spa is driving me nuts.

I've tested the water myself and taken samples to a local pool supply place for testing (the dealer I purchased from is in the DFW metroplex, but still 25-30 miles away). Everything tests near  "spot on", PH 7.6, TA a little low @ 60, hardness 160, zero metals, not tested for TDS but the guy @ Leslie's said with convincing authority that 2 month old city of Dallas water would be fine on TDS. Other than the SCUM, I have had no other water issues.

Problem is the SCUM that forms at the waterline. It looks like chicken fat. Totally gross. I've tried the enzyme scum eater products. I can't see that they help at all.  I only rinse out the bathing suit, so soap is not the problem. I don't normally shower before soaking, but I don't think I should have to under normal conditions. Cannot believe that a little antiperspirant could cause all this.

I use the spa almost daily. Recently just me for 45 minutes in the morning, at least 5-6 days a week.

I get what I consider to be normal foam levels with the air on (small clear bubbles that dissipate quickly and virtually none with the air off) except that I do get larger greasy looking bubbles/crud in eddys, and that is where the scum forms.

I first thought that I was keeping the sanitizer levels too low, and maybe not shocking enough (I use MPS for that). This past week I've upped both. Bromine has been 3-5 PPM and I've shocked it hard 3 times this week. Don't think I'll be able to get back into it for at least a day since bromine is reading over 10 PPM.

I've cleaned and swapped out filters.

I did try a cationic polymer clarifier after I did get soap from friends bathing suits, and am thinking that may be the culprit, but that was over 2 weeks ago and I would think that it would have worn off or whatever by now.

The water is crystal clear except for the SCUM.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to drain and refill yet.

One last thing. A question about bromine levels indicated on test strips after shocking with MPS. After a shock the bromine reads really high. Is this due to the shock reverting combined bromine back to free bromine or something else? Does the MPS cause the test strip to read inaccurately for some time (MPS does not directly increase the bromine level does it?)

Again your advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm probably overly obsessive about this, but if I can't get this under control it is bye-bye spa.

Thanks,

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

scum is driving me nuts
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:50:42 pm »

salesdvl

Re: scum is driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:03:39 pm »
OK Willie, lets not do anything rash.  Put the sledge hammer down.
My suggestion is to actually switch the sanitizer you are using.  One of the problems that some customers of mine have with bromine is that it is harder to work in maintaining a level. and problem solving.
What if you try switching to di-chlor granular chorine.  put 1-1.5 tsp evertime you get out ( or 2-3 x's per week.)  and use your MPS as a suplement to that and use it once a week.
This will give you a boost immediately after you get out when you need it most and by the next time you get in there will not be any chlorine odor.
I would think that this would help eliminate the scum.  

Or maybe stop eating KFC in the hot tub.   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 06:05:57 pm »
Three steps:
1.power off to spa.
2.drain and scrub out spa.
3.refill and reheat spa.

I have told my customers for two decades now: water change at the end of the first month of ownership. Also: water is the cheapest (and most effective) chem you can add to your spa.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:18:09 pm »
Three steps:
1.power off to spa.
2.drain and scrub out spa.
3.refill and reheat spa.

I have told my customers for two decades now: water change at the end of the first month of ownership. Also: water is the cheapest (and most effective) chem you can add to your spa.

;)

2A: rinse out the spa
Measure once, cut twice.

txwillie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 06:18:38 pm »
Chas:

Scrub it with what? Just water and a brush/rag, or is there a "product"? What about vinegar/water solution?

txwillie

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 06:23:31 pm »
I like "Citrabrite" by Leisure Time.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 08:25:30 pm »
You don't say if you have a dirty duck (or one of the other ones on the market).  If not I would recommend it.  I had scum line too, did the drain, clean, etc and added one of these.  Not sure if Mr. Duck should get all the credit but he sure is doing his job.   :)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 06:59:37 am »
I bought scum balls from Doc's site.  I had also heard people using tennis balls, so that is what I have now.  (Hubby found a bargain.)

They sure have helped.  I don't know how they work, but I had some of the problems you described at first.

Good luck!!!

You might consider a partial drain.  I know others, (wmmcall, for one), who swear by it.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 07:57:54 am »
What if you try switching to di-chlor granular chorine.  put 1-1.5 tsp evertime you get out ( or 2-3 x's per week.)  and use your MPS as a suplement to that and use it once a week.
This will give you a boost immediately after you get out when you need it most and by the next time you get in there will not be any chlorine odor.
I would think that this would help eliminate the scum.  

You mentioned pool experience. Water gets nastier faster at hotter temps. Add in that your ratio of bathers to gallons is a lot higher in a spa, it is more difficult to manage, but we all get there eventuallyI initially had scum problems, then started doing just what saledvl suggested.  Now the only scum problem we have is shown below.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 12:10:18 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 09:15:47 am »

I initially had scum problems, then started doing just what saledvl suggested.  Now the only scum problem we have is shown below.

Now that's funny--I don't care which team you root for!
Thanks for the laugh, Terminator....... ;D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

txwillie

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 09:26:21 am »
What the heck is a "dirty duck"? I've had real ducks in the pool before and there is nothing that messes up the water faster than duck poop. Seriously, I guess the duck is like a scum ball? I've had one in there, and yes it attracts the scum, but it does not do enough and the scum still forms at the waterline.

Think I'm gonna drain it today. I'm gonna stick with the bromine for this next fill cycle. Main reason is that with my purchase, I got a year of bromine cartridges for the SpaFrog and since I have it, I'm gonna use it.  If this fill goes south, I'll probably switch to di-clor. The bromine cartridges are just so easy. Are the di-clor cartrdges for the SpaFrog? I've not seen any on King Technology.

txwillie

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 11:52:31 am »
Scum bugs are a cheap accessory.  Every spa should have one.  You can use your Frog mineral cartridge with dichlor but you will have to eliminate the inline bromine cartridge or just keep it empty.

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 12:17:04 pm »
this spa is driving me nuts.

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel sticking out of his zipper. The bartender says, "Hey pirate, you have a steering wheel sticking out of your zipper!" The pirate says, "Aye, it's driving me nuts!"

Didn't fix your problem, but I bet you're laughing. ;D

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 02:27:33 pm »
Oops,  Thought this was a Haven Thread
¿

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 02:58:06 pm »
Oops,  Thought this was a Haven Thread

HAVEN't you heard of the new technology, the "ScumGAITer"
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 02:58:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42