What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie winter question.  (Read 5324 times)

gb60

• No matter where you go, there you are.
Newbie winter question.
« on: November 09, 2004, 10:53:38 pm »
With freezing temps on the way, how do you deal with ice on the steps and access areas ???

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie winter question.
« on: November 09, 2004, 10:53:38 pm »

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
Re: Newbie winter question.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 11:17:13 pm »
 ;)Good question, more than just one newbie patiently awaits the elders' pearls of wisdom regarding winter tubbing techniques. Today was the coldest day this fall for us and I just hope to be able to drain/refill the tub before the end of the month to have crystal clear water for the winter.

To all our southern buddies, please refrain from rubbing in your balmy year round weather, we prefer to look on the brighter side-
snowflakes gracefully falling from the sky, northern lights and the tub after a day of skiing. Come March, you can brag, since by then we will be sick of the winter crud.
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 05:53:23 am »
Ah yes, the boat drained. winterized and stored. The camper covered and ready. Two truck loads of leaves, hoses discconected, tub drained on the first decent day in November as we await the onslaught of the Northern Minnesota winter.

All my ice fishing gear seems ready to go, I just have to wait till X-Mas to be able to get on the lakes. I hate this time of year because of the wait.

Keep the snow off your steps and position them in the sun during the day. Use a broom to keep your cover clear of snow, and treat your tubbing area as you do your front door as far as snow removal and it will be fine.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 08:02:09 am »
You have gotten some good advice so far, keep the area clean during the day.  Wear cheap sandals with good grips and you can wear them right into the tub and put them on before you get out. This keeps you from hovering in the stairs area when you get out which causes more dripping and ice forming.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 08:30:46 am »
I have a patio heator ( made by Coleman of course )
When we're out for long evening soaks I turn it on and it keeps my steps nice and warm. My dog has a bad habit of stealing one of my spa shoes while I'm in the tub. This led to wrapping shoes and towels together and putting them on the table under the patio heator. They stay nice and warm.

Spahappy

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 08:52:48 am »
To all our southern buddies, please refrain from rubbing in your balmy year round weather, we prefer to look on the brighter side-
snowflakes gracefully falling from the sky, northern lights and the tub after a day of skiing. Come March, you can brag, since by then we will be sick of the winter crud.

OK, Jan, I won't dote on the absence of snow/sleet and how easy it is for us southerners to change spa water, go windsurfing/yachting/bicycling/sunbathing in January.  I won't even mention the wonderful mornings with breakfasts on the porch and the wonderful evenings with sunsets painted across the sky.  But I will say that after soaking in a snowfall last Thanksgiving in north Georgia, I will certainly miss those winter wonderland opportunities you enjoy.  Why don't we just plan to swap houses for a week?  No, Jan, I said for a WEEK--ONLY A WEEK! ;)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 11:59:56 am »
O.K. but I'm leaving the teenagers and the dog with my house. ;D

Hows the week after Thanksgiving for you windsurfdog.

Spahappy :D

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 01:48:14 pm »
 But I will say that after soaking in a snowfall last Thanksgiving in north Georgia,

North Georgia???  That's no experience.  Come to Chicago and really get a taste of "soaking in snowfall".  Or maybe you are really a windsurfchicken.   :D
Measure once, cut twice.

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
House switching with kids incl.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 05:36:43 pm »
Windsurf-
Do I get to look at the forecast and then choose the week? I'm thinking mid-January, when it's so cold that nose hairs freeze as I walk from the parking lot to school. ( um, if nose hairs can freeze....)
Anyhow, that's about the time that there is usually about 3 inches of solid ice on the driveway b/c there is no sunshine on 75% of the driveway. ( hot tub or tree removal, hot tub won).
Oh, and my three boys will have to stay home, you won't mind driving two of them back and forth to school for basketball practice? And then there's the 17 y/o and his ski practice, he can drive, but you will have to have dinner ready for him and I am sure that you could have the honor of arguing with him about his curfew.
Sounds like a plan to me, lol.
Jan
ps- is the patio heater a propane thing?
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: House switching with kids incl.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 05:45:03 pm »
ps- is the patio heater a propane thing?

Yes they are propane. As a Coleman dealer I am having trouble landing my hands on these units here in Canada. You can check your big box stores for something similair. Most Napoleon http://www.napoleongrills.com/Webshare/Gourmet-grills/outdoor_living/outdoor-living.htmldealers sell a more expensive, better looking models.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 06:04:03 pm »
I move to Southern Cal. Oh - wait - already did that.  ;)

You have no place posting on a thread titled "..winter question"
???
Homeworks Financing Representative

Phil

• Icefish daily, Hot Tub afterwards!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 07:12:28 pm »
Years ago I purchased cedar walkways that are made out of 1 x 1 cedar "slats".  They are connected with rope, so you can roll them up and store them in the heated garage.  I only put them out when there is company.  Nice, dry and safe.

Rog, i'll be on Lake of the Woods first weekend in December, HAH!  Gonna beat ya out!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 07:22:04 pm »
Remember Phil, you asked me to go with. You said you had plenty of beer, just bring your gear, remember? You said something about steaks and shrimp? I vaguely remember you mentioning this.
Retired

gb60

• No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 01:26:21 pm »
Thanks for the advise!! Sorry for the delay.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 01:26:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42