What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Locks  (Read 4360 times)

amollock

Cover Locks
« on: November 07, 2004, 09:13:29 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas to lock a spa cover if the cheap plastic ones have broken? I would like a solution that would be more permanent and safe. We had an unplanned, and unwanted party while we were on vacation.

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Locks
« on: November 07, 2004, 09:13:29 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Cover Locks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 10:41:44 pm »
There are various straps available - assuming that simply repairing your existing fastners is out: I couldn't find any at Robert's, but here's a pair from P&S:

I have also sold heavy duty versions of this system which come with a simple hasp and padlock on a two-inch wide strap. They work.

Living here in paradise, by the ocean, a lot of my customers have spas facing the water. Surfers, sitting out there shivering on a flat day tend to enjoy a nice warm soak, and having a row of houses - each with a spa looking at you - is kinda tempting....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 10:45:14 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 06:25:16 am »
No question the plastic "locking" buckles don't offer much security against someone intent on "breaking in."  I've worried a bit about that.

The hasp & padlock on a 2" strap that Chas mentioned is probably the "highest security" option available.  However, if someone really wants in, a box cutter will slice the straps; or with a screwdriver you can pry the hardware free from the tub (attached with short (3/4"?) wood screws.

I went with an 8' high privacy fence.  You can still climb over it and the price was a LOT higher than straps/padlocks.  On the up side, the back yard now a very private place and a comfortable "no suit" atmosphere when appropriate.  Also, ever try to climb an 8' smooth sided fence?  You can do it but it's not quick or easy!

Good luck, hopefully yours was a one time visit and won't happen again.

nicker

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 08:41:45 am »
I agree with the above, no matter what you do if someone really wanted in they will get in.    I just use the straps/plastic latches that came with the cover.  I don't realy want any unneeded attachments that will either look ugly or make me stay out in the cold winter for 15 minutes to lock up the tub (not practical).  I have a 6' fence with a gate that locks.  If someone is in your tub with out your permission then that is tresspassing and I would call police.  Or bring out the louisville slugger!!!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 09:10:45 am »
Amollock-

Does your spa have a lockout feature on the panel?
We can lock ours, which prevents the pumps and lights from being used.  This won't prevent "spa crashers" either, but would make their experience a bit boring.

Do you know who used your spa?  Was it your kids and their friends?

Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 01:26:42 pm »
maybe posting a sign will help.

or possibly

Fun aside, I'm surpised someone hasn't come out with even a slightly better lock.  Do any of you use your locks? I know I don't, but had I run into such a situation I guess Id have to consider it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 03:06:28 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 04:32:28 pm »
How 'bout:

BEWARE OF PIRAHNA
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 06:23:23 pm »
Put the blood red or green LED on - that should keep em out!

UnderTheStars

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 08:57:54 pm »
Good suggestion Brewman about the panel lockout!  I forgot about that.  I'll have to read my manual & learn how to use that feature before we take off for Thanksgiving weekend.

McCall asked, "Do any of you use your locks?"  We started out using them before the fence was done, now it's just kinda become habit.  (we lock one on the front, one on the rear of the cover.)   Seems really pointless since a service tech showed me that HotSpring cover locks don't need a key. . .any small/med. straight blade screw driver works.  It's not a "keyed cylinder" lock at all.  

Amollock - BTW, the broken latches are easy to replace if you want to.  They still won't provide security but the latches make sense to me when it's windy.  I broke one and thought I'd have to unstitch the strap, feed it through, then restitch.  Service tech showed me:   Use side cuts to "nibble out" about a 3/8" section from the back of the buckle loop.  Feed one edge of the cover strap in, bunch it to that side in the buckle loop until the other edge slips in.  Takes about a minute & when you're done you can't even tell it was broken. - cool trick

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 08:15:12 am »
Our locks don't need the key either, but then again, if some one wants in bad enough, the straps could be easily cut, so I guess I'd rather have someone twist the locks open with a screwdriver.  
Good to know that the latches are replacable.  I just snapped one.  Was wondering how that was going to work.  

Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 10:48:07 am »
Our locks don't need the key either, but then again, if some one wants in bad enough, the straps could be easily cut, so I guess I'd rather have someone twist the locks open with a screwdriver.  
 Good to know that the latches are replacable.  I just snapped one.  Was wondering how that was going to work.  

Brewman

I got some from Doc over at RHtubs.com
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 12:00:49 pm »
Thanks!  I'll give them a look.
Brewman
Brewman

amollock

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 10:17:41 pm »
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. It was my stepson and a bunch of kids who broke in. They pretty much had a party and ruined the water. I had to drain it and scrub it out. My tub does have a lockout feature on the front panel, but I like the raw sewage sign.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 10:17:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42