What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Got rid of FOAM with Defoamer  (Read 12506 times)

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
Got rid of FOAM with Defoamer
« on: November 07, 2004, 02:11:26 pm »
I have been getting lots of foam in my spa after 10 or 15 mins.Thought it might be lotions or left over soap or something.But just turned on jets and after 10 mins there was lots of foam without anyone in the spa.I went to the startup kit that the dealer gave me and i had a bottle of SPA DEFOARMER.It said put about 10 drops in the spa with the jets on ,Bingo after about 10 drops all the foam went away and i am sure this bottle will last for a year or more if i sill have problems.My swimming shorts are not the problem with detergent.Just wondering why all the foam,maybe since i had the spa for 6 months i need to clean the filter instead of just useing a garden hose to clean it.Water is very clean always has been and useing Nature 2 with Dichor and shock free.....Jt ???

Hot Tub Forum

Got rid of FOAM with Defoamer
« on: November 07, 2004, 02:11:26 pm »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Got rid of FOAM with Defoamer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 03:46:20 pm »
I took the advice of another poster here and diluted the defoamer into a spray bottle, something like 4 parts water to one part defoamer.  When foam comes, I grab the bottle and spray the foam directly.  Gone!

A little goes a long way.

Joanthan

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 03:47:16 pm »
A little goes a long way.

Joanthan

....and too much also causes clarity issues. It is also important to remember that defoamer is a band-aid solution. The root causes should also be addressed, ie pH, TA and Calcium Hardness. It is also important to minimize the foam causing inputs such as deoderant, hair and skin products, residual soaps from clothes and people.

If I have heartburn, a tums may make it go away but it has not solved the cause, just neutralized the symptom.

HTM
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 03:50:42 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 06:06:17 pm »
As they say if you are just useing the Spa defoamer every now and then i see there should be no problems.I only put about 10 drops in and all the foam went away in seconds.I can see that if you keep useing it for a very long time you can have problems maybe.But since you change your water every 3 months i see no problem if you use it here and there a bit.Jt :D

poolboy34

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 11:32:14 pm »
Maybe it's time you drained your tub ;)  You have had it for what 6 months now???  this would make it time for refill #2

nicker

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 08:45:17 am »
you say you have had the tub for 6 months and you only spray off your filters with a garden hose.  You should monthly soak your filters in a filter cleaning solution.  And I would say its proably time for a drain and refill with fresh water.

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 02:51:17 pm »
As HTM stated, DEFOAMER is a band-aid for foaming problems, it temporarily flattens out the foam while you are using the spa.  Try using an enzyme product on a regular basis if the foaming persists, as the enzyme will break down what's causing the faom and will also help lengthen the life of your filter cartridges.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 04:05:28 pm »
I get foam from time to time usually after cleaning the filters,(Maybe I should rinse them better) or when my Ph is off.  If it's just the family we just ignore it or shovel it out with a skimmer.  If we have guests we use the defoamer.

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 08:28:15 pm »
I drain my spa every 3 months and put a new nature2 in.Its coming up on Dec 1st for me to change my water again and just wondering if you do get some foam why not use the Spa defoamer every now and then only when you need too.10 drops does not seem much to get rid of the foam.Jt :(

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 09:13:04 am »
Hey all. Been a while but I too had foam but all my chemical levels where in check. I had another month left before having to drain, clean, change filter and refill so I just used the defoamer for the last month. I don't see this being to big of an issue. At most you may have 1 day of down time while doing this so if it still continues just change the water.

salesdvl

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 05:25:46 pm »

If I have heartburn, a tums may make it go away but it has not solved the cause, just neutralized the symptom.

HTM

I love this forum.  Spa info, Chas helps with travel.  And now help with heartburn.  Very cool.  

HTM, for the record,
I spell "relief"    r  o  l  a  i  d  s.  
:)
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 07:42:24 pm »
I wonder how they spell that in New Zealand?  ???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 08:35:00 pm »
Probably  T  H  A  T , just like us.   :P
Measure once, cut twice.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 08:06:50 am »
I can hear Bones right now:
"DAMMIT SALESDVL.....I'M A DOCTOR, NOT A SPELLING CHAMP!"
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 08:06:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42